Background and activities
I am Professor of Visual Culture in the Department of Art and Media Studies. I completed my education in the UK, where I studied photography and multimedia at the University of Westminster (BA Hons), and history of art at Birkbeck College, London (MA and PhD).
I teach across the BA and MA programmes in media studies, and I'm particularly committed to fostering my students' academic writing and research skills through my teaching and supervision.
- Photography and archives
- Materialist media ecology («green media studies»)
- Digitization theory
- Copyright in/and visual culture
Current research project
Digitization and Diversity: Potentials and Challenges for Diversity in the Culture and Media Sector - a collaborative project with the Norwegian Business School, Handelshøyskolen BI, supported by the Research Council of Norway through its KULMEDIA programme.
- Chair of the departmental research committee (2016).
- Programme leader in Media Studies (2014-2016).
- Representative on the departmental research committee (2013-2015).
- Programme leader in Film and Visual Media Studies (2010).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) "There Is No Cloud": Toward a Materialist Ecology of Post-Photography. Captures. vol. 1 (1).
- (2013) "Ikke sint, bare veldig skuffet": Om barn, miljø og medieteknologi. Norsk Medietidsskrift. vol. 20 (4).
- (2013) Ordering, Searching, Finding. Journal of Visual Culture. vol. 12 (3).
- (2011) Robert Doisneau and the Making of a Universal Cliché. History of Photography. vol. 35 (2).
- (2008) Archival value: on photography, materiality and indexicality. Photographies. vol. 1 (1).
- (2008) Archive Style: Photographs & Illustrations for US Surveys, 1850-1890. The Art Book. vol. 15 (2).
- (2008) Copyright between commerce and creativity: art, photography and the law. The Art Book. vol. 15 (1).
- (2008) Shooting in the Street. History of Photography. vol. 32 (2).
- (2007) FSA: The American Vision. The Art Book. vol. 14 (3).
- (2005) Photography as cultural memory: imag(in)ing France in the 1950s. Journal of Romance Studies. vol. 5 (2).
- (2005) Presenting Pictures. Journal of Design History. vol. 18 (3).
- (2005) Édouard Boubat. The Art Book. vol. 12 (3).
- (2004) Art and Photography. The Art Book. vol. 11 (2).
- (2015) Media and the ecological crisis. Routledge. 2015. ISBN 978-0-415-70923-1.
- (2013) Representational Machines: Photography and the Production of Space. Aarhus Universitetsforlag. 2013. ISBN 9788771241655.
Part of book/report
- (2016) The Ecology of the Photographic Image: Archives, Power and Materiality. (Post)Fotografisches Archivieren. Wandel Macht Geschichte.
- (2015) Media Ecology Recycled. Media and the ecological crisis.
- (2013) A Photographic Archive of Physics, or a Physical Archive of Photography? Niels Bohr and the Production of Scientific Space(s). Representational Machines: Photography and the Production of Space.
- (2013) The photographic image in digital archives. The Photographic Image in Digital Culture.
- (2013) Editors' Introduction. Representational Machines: Photography and the Production of Space.