Background and activities
Professor of Visual Culture in the Department of Art and Media Studies. Educated in the UK, having studied photography and multimedia at the University of Westminster (BA Hons), and history of art at Birkbeck College, London (MA and PhD).
Teaching across the BA and MA programmes in media studies, and particularly committed to fostering students' academic writing and research skills.
- Photography and archives
- Materialist media ecology («green media studies»)
- Digitization theory
- Copyright in/and visual culture
Current research project
Digitization and Diversity: Potentials and Challenges for Diversity in the Culture and Media Sector - a collaborative project with the Norwegian Business School, Handelshøyskolen BI, supported by the Research Council of Norway through its KULMEDIA programme.
- Panel member, The Swedish Foundation for Humanities and Social Sciences (2018-2022).
- Research panel member, Norwegian Media Authority (2017-2020).
- Programme leader in Media Studies (2014-2016 and 2018).
- Chair of the departmental research committee (2016).
- Representative on the departmental research committee (2013-2015).
- Programme leader in Film and Visual Media Studies (2010).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) A digital museum's contribution to diversity - a user study. Museum Management and Curatorship.
- (2016) "There Is No Cloud": Toward a Materialist Ecology of Post-Photography. Captures. vol. 1 (1).
- (2013) "Ikke sint, bare veldig skuffet": Om barn, miljø og medieteknologi. Norsk Medietidsskrift. vol. 20 (4).
- (2013) Ordering, Searching, Finding. Journal of Visual Culture. vol. 12 (3).
- (2011) Robert Doisneau and the Making of a Universal Cliché. History of Photography. vol. 35 (2).
- (2008) Archival value: on photography, materiality and indexicality. Photographies. vol. 1 (1).
- (2008) Archive Style: Photographs & Illustrations for US Surveys, 1850-1890. The Art Book. vol. 15 (2).
- (2008) Copyright between commerce and creativity: art, photography and the law. The Art Book. vol. 15 (1).
- (2008) Shooting in the Street. History of Photography. vol. 32 (2).
- (2007) FSA: The American Vision. The Art Book. vol. 14 (3).
- (2005) Photography as cultural memory: imag(in)ing France in the 1950s. Journal of Romance Studies. vol. 5 (2).
- (2005) Presenting Pictures. Journal of Design History. vol. 18 (3).
- (2005) Édouard Boubat. The Art Book. vol. 12 (3).
- (2004) Art and Photography. The Art Book. vol. 11 (2).
- (2015) Media and the ecological crisis. Routledge. 2015. ISBN 978-0-415-70923-1.
- (2013) Representational Machines: Photography and the Production of Space. Aarhus Universitetsforlag. 2013. ISBN 9788771241655.
Part of book/report
- (2016) The Ecology of the Photographic Image: Archives, Power and Materiality. (Post)Fotografisches Archivieren. Wandel Macht Geschichte.
- (2015) Media Ecology Recycled. Media and the ecological crisis.
- (2013) A Photographic Archive of Physics, or a Physical Archive of Photography? Niels Bohr and the Production of Scientific Space(s). Representational Machines: Photography and the Production of Space.
- (2013) The photographic image in digital archives. The Photographic Image in Digital Culture.