Oddrun Marie Hovde Bråten
Background and activities
Oddrun M. H. Bråten is professor of religion and worldviews education at the Insitute of Teacher education, NTNU: Norwegian University of Science and Technology, where she runs the NTNU RE Research group. Her PhD is from the University of Warwick and concerns international and comparative studies in religious education. She has also done classroom studies, and lately studies into worldviews education. She is a member of ISREV and ENRECA, and Norwegian RE-Research forum (NoReFo), where she serves as leader from 2014 to 2017. Also asociated with EASR and IAHR.
Examples of publications: Towards a methodology for comparative studies in religious Education: A study of England and Norway (2013): ‘New social patterns: Old structures? How the countries of Western Europe deal with religious plurality in education’ (2014) (In Rothgangel, M. et al. Religious Education at schools in Europe. Part 2: Western Europe.): with Judith Everintron: 'Isues in the integration of religious education and worldviews education in an intercultural context".
Full list of publications in Christin
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Non-binary worldviews in education. British Journal of Religious Education.
- (2020) 'Deep Learning' in Studies of Religion and Worldviews in Norwegian Schools? The Implications of the National Curriculum Renewal in 2020. Religions. vol. 11 (11).
- (2019) Mye på spill: den nasjonale debatten om skolegudstjenester belyst med to lokale caser. DIN - Tidsskrift for religion og kultur.
- (2018) Issues in the integration of religious education and worldviews education in an intercultural context. Intercultural Education.
- (2016) Textbook Gods: Genre, Text and Teaching Religious Studies. Journal of Contemporary Religion. vol. 31 (3).
- (2015) Research on Religious Education in Nordic Countries: Introduction to Nordidactica 2015:2. Nordidactica. vol. 2 (2015:2).
- (2015) Should there be wonder and awe? A three-dimensional and four levels comparative methodology used to discuss the "learning from" aspect of English and Norwegian RE. Nordidactica. vol. 2 (2015:2).
- (2015) Three dimensions and four levels: towards a Methodology for comparative religious education. British Journal of Religious Education. vol. 37 (2).
- (2014) Hva er religionspedagogikk? Internasjonale perspektiver på den norske konteksten. Prismet. vol. Årgang 65 (3).
- (2013) Comparative Studies in Religious Education: The Issue of methodology. Religion & Education. vol. 40 (1).
- (2006) Civil enculturation : nation state, school and ethnic difference in the Netherlands, Britain, Germany and France. British Journal of Religious Education. vol. 28 (2).
- (2013) Towards a Methodology for Comparative Studies in Religious Education: A Study of England and Norway. Waxmann Verlag. 2013. ISBN 978-3-8309-2887-4. Religious Diversity and Education in Europe (24).
Part of book/report
- (2021) Comparative perspectives on IRE in Europe. Islamic religious education in Europe : A comparative study.
- (2018) World Wiews in Norwegian RE. Challenging Life. Existential Questions as a Resource for Education.
- (2017) Er det mulig å sammenligne religionsfag på tvers av land?. Religion i skolen : didaktiske perspektiver på religions- og livssynsfaget.
- (2016) Comparative Studies in Religious Education: Perspectives Formed Around a Suggested Methodology. Religious Education in a Global-Local World.
- (2015) A Comparative Perspective on the History of Religious Education: England and Norway. History, Remembrance and Religious Education.
- (2014) Are Oranges the only fruit? A discussion of Comparative Studies in Religious Education in relation to the plural nature of the field internationally. Religious Education at Schools in Europe. Part 3: Northern Europe.
- (2014) Bruk av lærebøker i RLE. RLE i klemme: Ein studie av det erfarte RLE-faget.
- (2014) New social patterns: old structures? How the countries of Western Europe deal with religious plurality in education. Religious Education at Schools in Europe: Part 2: Western Europe.
- (2014) Religious education at Schools in Norway. Religious Education at Schools in Europe. Part 3: Northern Europe.
- (2013) Comparative studies in religious education : : the issue of methodology. Religion in education : innovation in international research.
- (2013) The Meaning of 'Context' when Utilizing a Comparative Methodology. Exploring Context in Religious Education Research. Empirical, Methodological and Theoretical Perspectives.
- (2009) Mounting an assault on complexity: Comparative research design in religious education. Religious Diversity and Education. Nordic Perspectives.
- (2009) A comparative study of religious education in state schools in England and Norway. 2009.
- (1994) Sjamanisme og New age : de religiøse opplevelsers betydning : et eksempel på en ny religiøs interesse i den moderne vestlige verden. 1994.
- (2019) Introduction to the symposium "A comparative exploration of the role of religious history in forming educational systems of Europe and beyond: possible implications for RE today". Nordic Conferance of Religious Education . NTNU, ILU; Trondheim. 2019-06-11 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) RE-searchers in MOVe. Nordic Conferance of Religious Education . NTNU, ILU; Trondheim. 2019-06-11 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) National differences in policy documents a matter of perspective? Similarities appears when focusing on practical learning activities. European Forum for Teachedrs of Religious Education (Eftre) . Dublin City University; Dublin. 2019-08-28 - 2019-08-31.
- (2018) Populærkultur og spenning. https://www.krlepodden.com/episoder/2017/11/15/populrkultur- [Internett]. 2018-02-16.
- (2018) Worldviews in Norwegian RE. European Association for the study of Religion - Annual conference . EASR/ University og Bern; Bern. 2018-06-17 - 2018-06-21.
- (2018) Issues in the integration of religious education and worldviews education in an intercultural context. International Seminar for Religious Education and Values (ISREV) . ISREV/ FAU; Erlangen-Nuremberg. 2018-07-29 - 2018-08-03.
- (2017) Developing RE through community of practice: creating a bypass. Nordic Conferance of Religious Education . University of Eastern Finland; Joensuu. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-15.
- (2017) Livssyn som del av religionsundervisningen. Norsk Religionspedaggogisk Forskerforening (NoReFo) . NTNU, ILU; Trondheim. 2017-11-30 - 2017-12-01.
- (2017) Response to keynote by professor Tuula Sakaranaho: Islamic Education, Government & Interactions: The case of Finland and Ireland. Nordic Conferance of Religious Education . University of Eastern Finland; Joensuu. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-15.
- (2017) Communicating Religion and Worldviews in Schools in Europe: Comparative Perspectives, title of joint paper/ open session, session 22 of European Association for the study of Religion - Annual conference. European Association for the study of Religion - Annual conference . EASR/ University of Leuven; Leuven. 2017-09-18 - 2017-09-21.
- (2015) A three dimensional and four levels methodology for comparative studies in Religious Education. XXI. World Congress of the International Association for the History of Religions . University of Erfurt; Erfurt. 2015-08-23 - 2015-08-28.
- (2015) Religious Education in England and Norway: the supranational Dimension. Transnationalising the history of Religious Education in the 19th and 20th Century . In Goethe Universität; Franfurt am Main. 2015-09-30 - 2015-10-02.
- (2015) The three dimensional and four levels methodology for comparative studies in Religious Education: a tool for systematic international analysis. Teacher Professionalization and the Professional Quality of Religious Education: An International Symposium . University of Exeter, UK; Exeter. 2015-03-02 - 2015-03-04.
- (2014) Religion får ny posisjon i Europas skoler : Nye befolkningsmønstre skaper utfordringer for religionsfagene. Vårt Land [Avis]. 2014-12-30.
- (2014) The oportunity Rel-Edu opens up from a methodological perspective. Basics of Religious Education, International Meeting, Book Launch, Religious Education at Schools in Western and Northern Europe . University of Vienna, Faculty of Protestant Theology; Wien. 2014-05-22 - 2014-05-23.
- (2013) A presentation of "Towards a Methodology for Comparative Studies in Religious Education. A study of England and Norway.". RE21 Conference . University College Cork (UCC); Cork. 2013-08-28 - 2013-08-29.
- (2013) Response to keynote by professor Robert Jackson: "Towards a Roadmap for Religions and Beliefs in European Intercultural Education". Nordic Conference for Religious Education (NCRE) . University of Iceland; Reykjavik. 2013-06-10 - 2013-06-13.