Olav Andreas Aarstad
Background and activities
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
Analysis of block structure in native and in vitro epimerized alginates.
Production of well defined alginate oligomers with varying composition.
Structure-function relationship in alginate gels.
Biopolymers in brown seaweed
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Long-term storage stability of type A and type B gelatin gels: The effect of Bloom strength and co-solutes. Food Hydrocolloids. vol. 127.
- (2021) Alginate Degradation: Insights Obtained through Characterization of a Thermophilic Exolytic Alginate Lyase. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 87 (6).
- (2020) Functional characterization of three Azotobacter chroococcum alginate-modifying enzymes related to the Azotobacter vinelandii AlgE mannuronan C-5-epimerase family. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2020) Bi-functional alginate oligosaccharide–polymyxin conjugates for improved treatment of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacterial infections. Pharmaceutics. vol. 12 (11).
- (2020) Exploiting mannuronan C-5 epimerases in commercial alginate production. Marine Drugs. vol. 18 (11).
- (2019) Biosynthesis and Function of Long Guluronic Acid-Blocks in Alginate Produced by Azotobacter vinelandii. Biomacromolecules. vol. 20 (4).
- (2019) Graphene oxide in zinc alginate films: Antibacterial activity, cytotoxicity, zinc release, water sorption/diffusion, wettability and opacity. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (3).
- (2019) Polymer Masked-Unmasked Protein Therapy: Identification of the Active Species after Amylase Activation of Dextrin-Colistin Conjugates. Molecular Pharmaceutics. vol. 16.
- (2019) Production, characterization, and application of an alginate lyase, AMOR_PL7A, from hot vents in the Arctic mid-ocean ridge. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 67 (10).
- (2018) Overall size of mannuronan C5-Epimerases influences their ability to epimerize modified alginates and alginate gels. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 180.
- (2018) Preparation of 4-deoxy-L-erythro-5-hexoseulose uronic acid (DEH) and guluronic acid-rich alginate using a unique exo-alginate lyase from Thalassotalea crassostreae. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 66.
- (2017) Mechanical Properties of Composite Hydrogels of Alginate and Cellulose Nanofibrils. Polymers. vol. 9 (8).
- (2017) Polymer sequencing by molecular machines: a framework for predicting the resolving power of a sliding contact force spectroscopy sequencing method. Nanoscale. vol. 9 (39).
- (2017) Novel archaeal thermostable cellulases from an oil reservoir metagenome. AMB Express. vol. 7 (183).
- (2016) Extraction of Structural Extracellular Polymeric Substances from Aerobic Granular Sludge. Journal of Visualized Experiments.
- (2016) Single molecule investigation of the onset and minimum size of the calcium-mediated junction zone in alginate. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 148.
- (2016) Sliding Contact Dynamic Force Spectroscopy Method for Interrogating Slow Forming Polymer Cross-Links. Langmuir. vol. 32 (48).
- (2016) Extraction of structural extracellular polymeric substances from aerobic granular sludge. Journal of Visualized Experiments. vol. 2016 (115).
- (2014) Structural and functional characterization of the R-modules in alginate C-5 epimerases AlgE4 and AlgE6 from Azotobacter vinelandii. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 289 (45).
- (2014) Lyase-catalyzed degradation of alginate in the gelled state: Effect ofgelling ions and lyase specificity. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 110.