Background and activities
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created).
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
- Professor in microbial ecology
- Leader of the research group "Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems"
- Teaches TBT4110 Microbiology, BT8101 Microbial Ecology,
- Involved in the projects MIRA, MicStaTech, MICRO-Feed, MicroMucus, EurOmega, DIACIL
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created). Besides basic aspects, I’m interested in applied microbial ecology which can be placed under the heading Environmental Biotechnology.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) A comparison of two seawater adaptation strategies for Atlantic salmon post-smolt (Salmo salar) grown in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS): Nitrification, water and gut microbiota, and performance of fish. Aquaculture. vol. 532.
- (2021) Understanding structure/function relationships in nitrifying microbial communities after cross-transfer between freshwater and seawater. Scientific Reports. vol. 11 (2979).
- (2020) Effects of reduced organic matter loading through membrane filtration on the microbial community dynamics in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS) with Atlantic salmon parr (Salmo salar). Aquaculture. vol. 524.
- (2020) Comparative transcriptomics reveals domestication‐associated features of Atlantic salmon lipid metabolism. Molecular Ecology. vol. 29 (10).
- (2020) Nitrifying biofilms deprived of organic carbon show higher functional resilience to increases in carbon supply. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2020) A salty start: Brackish water start-up as a microbial management strategy for nitrifying bioreactors with variable salinity. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 739.
- (2020) Biofilms remember: Osmotic stress priming as a microbial management strategy for improving salinity acclimation in nitrifying biofilms. Water Research. vol. 176.
- (2020) Bacterial community assembly in Atlantic cod larvae (Gadus morhua): Contributions of ecological processes and metacommunity structure. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. vol. 96 (9).
- (2019) Lipid and DHA-production in Aurantiochytrium sp. – Responses to nitrogen starvation and oxygen limitation revealed by analyses of production kinetics and global transcriptomes. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) Microorganisms in ballast water: Disinfection, community dynamics, and implications for management. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 657.
- (2019) The Significance of Mesophilic Aeromonas spp. in Minimally Processed Ready-to-Eat Seafood. Microorganisms. vol. 7 (91).
- (2019) Dietary fatty acid source has little effect on the development of the immune system in the pyloric caeca of Atlantic salmon fry. Scientific Reports. vol. 9 (27).
- (2019) Gut Microbiota of Migrating Wild Rabbit Fish (Siganus guttatus) Larvae Have Low Spatial and Temporal Variability. Microbial Ecology. vol. 79.
- (2019) Influence of rate of salinity increase on nitrifying biofilms. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 238.
- (2019) Loss of ALBINO3b insertase results in truncated light-harvesting antenna in diatoms. Plant Physiology. vol. 181 (3).
- (2019) Microbial dynamics in RAS water: Effects of adding acetate as a biodegradable carbon-source. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 84.
- (2019) Unique photosynthetic electron transport tuning and excitation distribution in heterokont algae. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (1).
- (2019) Effect of hydroxamate and catecholate siderophores on iron availability in the diatom Skeletonema costatum: Implications of siderophore degradation by associated bacteria. Marine Chemistry. vol. 209.
- (2019) Influence of nitrogen limitation on lipid accumulation and EPA and DHA content in four marine microalgae for possible use in aquafeed. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- (2018) Transcriptional regulation of lipid metabolism when salmon fry switches from endogenous to exogenous feeding. Aquaculture. vol. 503.