Background and activities
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created).
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
- Professor in microbial ecology
- Leader of the research group "Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems"
- Teaches TBT4110 Microbiology, BT8101 Microbial Ecology,
- Involved in the projects MIRA, MicStaTech, MICRO-Feed, MicroMucus, EurOmega, DIACIL
I’m a professor in Microbial Ecology with general interest in aquatic ecosystems - both natural and un-natural (human created). Besides basic aspects, I’m interested in applied microbial ecology which can be placed under the heading Environmental Biotechnology.
- BT8101 - Microbial Ecology
- BI3095 - AquaHealth Club
- VM6010 - Recirculating Aquaculture Systems - RAS
- BI3090 - Internship Project
- BT3210 - Recirculating Aquaculture Systems RAS
- BI3094 - Internship Comprehensive Project
- TBT4110 - Microbiology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Changes in rearing water microbiomes in RAS induced by membrane filtration alters the hindgut microbiomes of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) parr. Aquaculture. vol. 548.
- (2022) Removal of microparticles and bacterial inactivation in freshwater RAS by use of foam fractionation, H2O2 and NaCl. Aquaculture Research.
- (2022) Mechanisms Generating Dichotomies in the Life Strategies of Heterotrophic Marine Prokaryotes. Diversity. vol. 14 (3).
- (2022) Commensal and opportunistic bacteria present in the microbiota in atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) larvae differentially alter the hosts’ innate immune responses. Microorganisms. vol. 10 (1).
- (2021) UV treatment in RAS influences the rearing water microbiota and reduces the survival of European lobster larvae (Homarus gammarus). Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 94.
- (2021) Management of biofloc concentrations as an ecological strategy for microbial control in intensive shrimp culture. Aquaculture. vol. 543.
- (2021) Microbial community dynamics in a commercial RAS for production of Atlantic salmon fry (Salmo salar). Aquaculture. vol. 546.
- (2021) A comparison of two seawater adaptation strategies for Atlantic salmon post-smolt (Salmo salar) grown in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS): Nitrification, water and gut microbiota, and performance of fish. Aquaculture. vol. 532.
- (2021) Understanding structure/function relationships in nitrifying microbial communities after cross-transfer between freshwater and seawater. Scientific Reports. vol. 11 (2979).
- (2021) The effect of periodic disturbances and carrying capacity on the significance of selection and drift in complex bacterial communities. ISME Communications.
- (2021) Temporal dynamics of carbon sequestration in coastal North Atlantic fjord system as seen through dissolved organic matter characterisation. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 782.
- (2021) Seeding as a start-up strategy for improving the acclimation of freshwater nitrifying bioreactors to salinity stress. Aquaculture. vol. 540 (736663).
- (2021) Dietary Lipid Effects on Gut Microbiota of First Feeding Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar L.). Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 8.
- (2021) Nanocosm: A well plate photobioreactor for environmental and biotechnological studies. Lab on a Chip. vol. 21 (10).
- (2020) Effects of reduced organic matter loading through membrane filtration on the microbial community dynamics in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS) with Atlantic salmon parr (Salmo salar). Aquaculture. vol. 524.
- (2020) Comparative transcriptomics reveals domestication‐associated features of Atlantic salmon lipid metabolism. Molecular Ecology. vol. 29 (10).
- (2020) Nitrifying biofilms deprived of organic carbon show higher functional resilience to increases in carbon supply. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2020) A salty start: Brackish water start-up as a microbial management strategy for nitrifying bioreactors with variable salinity. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 739.
- (2020) Biofilms remember: Osmotic stress priming as a microbial management strategy for improving salinity acclimation in nitrifying biofilms. Water Research. vol. 176.
- (2020) Bacterial community assembly in Atlantic cod larvae (Gadus morhua): Contributions of ecological processes and metacommunity structure. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. vol. 96 (9).