Background and activities
Ole J. Mengshoel is a Professor at the Department of Computer Science He is also head of the Norwegian Open AI Lab and is a member of the Data and artificial intelligence – (DART) research group. Professor Mengshoel has an MSc in Computer Science from NTH (now NTNU), and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.
Artificial intelligence; Machine learning and discovery; Reasoning and learning under uncertainty; Probabilistic and statistical methods (including Bayesian networks); Evolutionary computation; Stochastic local search; Detection, diagnosis, and mitigation; Real-time and embedded systems; Visualization and decision support; Big data and scalability; Applications with artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Recent work experience
- 2018- present; Professor, Department of Computer Science, NTNU
- 2018- present; Adjunct Faculty, ECE Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Silicon Valley, Moffett Field, California, USA
- 2016-2018 Principal Systems Scientist, ECE Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Silicon Valley, Moffett Field, California, USA2012-2016 Associate Research Professor, ECE Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Silicon Valley, Moffett Field, California, USA
- 2008-2012 Senior Systems Scientist, Research Area Lead, USRA/RIACS, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, , California, USA
- AwardsBest Paper Honorable Mention for “Understanding and Improving Recurrent Networks for Human Activity Recognition by Continuous Attention” by Ming Zeng, Haoxiang Gao, Tong Yu, Ole J. Mengshoel, Helge Langseth, Ian Lane, and Xiaobing Liu. The 2018 International Symposium on Wearable Computers (ISWC), Singapore, October 2018.
- Distinguished Senior Program Committee Member, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI, Stockholm, Sweden, ), July 2018.
- Best Paper Award for "Differential adaptive stress testing of airborne collision avoidance systems" by Ritchie Lee, Ole J. Mengshoel, Anshu Saksena, Ryan Gardner, Daniel Genin, Jeffrey Brush, and Mykel J. Kochenderfer. The 2018 AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference, Kissimmee, Florida, USA, January 2018.
- Best Paper of Session Award for "Adaptive stress testing of airborne collision avoidance systems" by Ritchie Lee, Mykel J. Kochenderfer, Ole J. Mengshoel, Guillaume P. Brat, and Michael P. Owen. The 2015 IEEE/AIAA 34th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), Prague, Czech Republic, September 2015.
- Best Paper Award for “Multi-focus and multi-window techniques for interactive network exploration” by Priya Krishnan Sundararajan, Ole J. Mengshoel, and Ted Selker. Conference on Visualization and Data Analysis 2013, Burlingame, California, USA, February 2013.
- NASA Group Achievement Award: “Team Name: OSMA Software Assurance Research Program (SARP)” NASA, July 2012.
- Winner of Second Int`l Diagnostics Competition (DXC-10), Industrial Track, Problem II. International Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis, October 2010.
- Second SIGART/AAAI Doctoral Consortium, AAAI-97 at Providence, RI, July 1997.
See my publications at: