Oluf Dimitri Røe
Background and activities
Appointments and research interests
My main research interests have been a combination of clinical and basic cancer research (translational), including biomarkers for early detection of cancer, predictive and prognostic biomarkers, genome-wide analysis and mechanisms of treatment resistance.
The research has been focused on mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer, but recently also lung and gastric cancer. I have published papers on biomarkers in serum and tissue of mesothelioma and gastric cancer in international peer-reviewed journals as Lung Cancer, PlosOne, EBioMedicine, Clinical Cancer Research and Gut. Specifically in mesothelioma my research experience includes clinical research where I initiated and completed studies on early detection of mesothelioma in pre-clinical serum in collaboration with the Cancer Registry and the Janus Biobank, with a fruitful collaboration with prof. Jeanette Creaney at the National Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia. At our research department I conducted three gene expression studies at the FUGE (Functional Genomics) core facility with Affymetrix U133 Plus 2 and Illumina HumanHT-12 v3 Expression BeadChip on human mesothelioma and normal pleural samples.
The recent years a collaborative work on novel bioinformatics methods with a strong bioinformatics group lead by Prof. Ioannis Tsamardinos at the University of Crete in Greece has resulted in the HUNT Lung Cancer Model and online calculator and several new publications.
Since November 2010 a collaboration/visiting researcher/supervisor with Nanjing Medical University, China was initiated on mesothelioma, lung and gastric cancer.
As a collaborating/visiting researcher periodically at the Nanjing Medical University, I have co-authored 13 peer-reviewed papers, including in some high-impact journals as Cell Death and Disease, Gut, Clinical Cancer Research, Scientific Reports and Oncotarget (see full publication list).
There was a fruitful collaboration with the oncologists at the Nanjing Medical University Oncology Department with some publications (see publication list) and one independent collaboration with the Yuyao Peoples Hospital, Zheijiang Province, China and University of Tokyo, Japan as oneof the first papers linking mesothelioma in women to occupational asbestos exposure in China.
The prospective HUNT biobank in Levanger, Norway, is one of the largest biobanks in Scandinavia with serum and clinical data from approximately 120 000 subjects. Since May 2011 collaboration with the HUNT was initiated, aiming at tumour-specific microRNA discovery in pre-diagnostic serum. The Cancer-Biomarker-HUNT Project aims at discovery of biomarkers in serum for detection of lung cancer and mesothelioma in an early stage.
Currently, we developed a novel validated clinical risk prediction model and online calculator for lung cancer, the HUNT Lung Cancer Model which combined with GWAS and pre-diagnostic microRNA can refine the screening and diagnostic model. This project is designated EARLYSCREEN.
Since 2013- appointed as Clinical Associate Professor (20%) at the Aalborg University Hospital. Aalborg, the major and capital city in the Northern Jutland Region has hosted the only asbestos factory (Eternit) in Denmark and processed 80% of all asbestos imported to Denmark. The long term effects of the asbestos use is that the age-standardised incidence rate for men with mesothelioma in the Region of Northern Jutland in 2008-2009 is approximately 2-3-fold higher than in the other four Danish Regions, and we have newly discovered the environmental impact on the risk of mesothelioma in women as well as showing for the first time germline cancer susceptibility genes in mesothelioma, in collaboration with University of Chicago. Currently I hold a position as Clinical Associate Professor at the Department of Oncology in Aalborg, and initiated a multidisciplinary group formed to do mesothelioma research.
Since 2018- I hold a 20% Professor position at the Department of Clinical and Molecular Research, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway and Levanger Hospital.
2012 Norwegian Research Council for collaborative project with China, 310 000 NoK
2012 Liaison Committee between the Central Norway Regional Health Authority (RHA) and the NTNU, post-doc position 60% for 5 years
2014 Liaison Committee between the Central Norway Regional Health Authority (RHA) and the NTNU, 5,7 mill. NoK for 4 years
2015 Levanger Hospital, Nord-Trøndelag Hospital Trust, 300 000 Nok
2016 BONNIE J. ADDARIO LUNG CANCER FOUNDATION AND INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDY OF LUNG CANCER (IASLC) JOINT AWARD 2016.
2,7 mill. NoK (300 000 USD) for two years, see
2017 PhD position for Olav Toai Duc Nguyen, 6 years 50% position 2018-2024 “EARLYSCREEN; validating a novel clinical and molecular early diagnostic lung cancer screening model in HUNT and CONOR”.
2018 Liaison Committee between the Central Norway Regional Health Authority (RHA) and the NTNU, 2.9 mill. NoK for 3 years.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Clinical prognostic factors in pleural mesothelioma: best supportive care and anti-tumor treatments in a real-life setting. Acta Oncologica. vol. 60 (4).
- (2021) Adjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer: The role of relative dose-intensity and treatment delay. Cancer Treatment and Research Communications. vol. 27:100318.
- (2020) Major durable response of pembrolizumab in chemotherapy refractory small cell bladder cancer: A case report. Case Reports in Oncology. vol. 13.
- (2020) Inherited Genetic Mutations and Polymorphisms in Malignant Mesothelioma: A Comprehensive Review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. vol. 21 (12).
- (2020) Democratic and ethical problem of lung cancer screening: Exclusion of true high-risk populations. Can it be fixed? Yes. BMJ Open Respiratory Research. vol. 7:e000811 (1).
- (2020) Asbestos exposure and haematological malignancies: a Danish cohort study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). vol. 35 (10).
- (2019) Environmental asbestos exposure in childhood and risk of mesothelioma later in life: A long-term follow-up register-based cohort study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. vol. 76 (6).
- (2019) A data driven approach reveals disease similarity on a molecular level. npj Systems Biology and Applications. vol. 5 (1).
- (2019) Non-occupational exposure to asbestos is the main cause of malignant mesothelioma in women in North Jutland, Denmark. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health. vol. 45 (1).
- (2019) ‘Reduced’ HUNT model outperforms NLST and NELSON study criteria in predicting lung cancer in the Danish screening trial. BMJ Open Respiratory Research. vol. 6 (1).
- (2019) Fractional exhaled nitric oxide as a potential biomarker for radiation pneumonitis in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: A pilot study. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology. vol. 19.
- (2018) A Validated Clinical Risk Prediction Model for Lung Cancer in Smokers of All Ages and Exposure Types: A HUNT Study. EBioMedicine. vol. 31.
- (2018) Frequency of germline mutations in cancer susceptibility genes in malignant mesothelioma. Journal of Clinical Oncology. vol. 36 (28).
- (2018) The associations of sitting time and physical activity on total and site-specific cancer incidence: Results from the HUNT study, Norway. PLOS ONE. vol. 13:e0206015 (10).
- (2018) Mesothelioma diagnosis and prognosis, are we moving beyond histology and performance status towards circulating biomarkers?. Journal of Thoracic Disease. vol. 10.
- (2018) Epigenetic predictive biomarkers for response or outcome to platinum-based chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer, current state-of-art. The Pharmacogenomics Journal. vol. 19.
- (2017) The High Cost of New Cancer Therapies-A Challenge of Inequality for All Countries. JAMA Oncology.
- (2017) The undifferentiated carcinoma that became a melanoma: Re-biopsy of a cancer of an unknown primary site: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. vol. 11 (82).
- (2017) JWA regulates TRAIL-induced apoptosis via MARCH8-mediated DR4 ubiquitination in cisplatin-resistant gastric cancer cells. Oncogenesis. vol. 6 (7).
- (2016) Prognostic value of perioperative leukocyte count in resectable gastric cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology (WJG). vol. 22 (9).
- (2016) Circulating tumor cells as a prognostic and predictive marker in gastrointestinal stromal tumors: A prospective study. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (24).
- (2016) A clinical prognostic scoring system for resectable gastric cancer to predict survival and benefit from paclitaxel- or oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. Drug Design, Development and Therapy. vol. 10.
- (2016) JWA loss promotes cell migration and cytoskeletal rearrangement by affecting HER2 expression and identifies a high-risk subgroup of HER2-positive gastric carcinoma patients. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (24).
- (2016) Excerpts from the 1st international NTNU symposium on current and future clinical biomarkers of cancer: innovation and implementation, June 16th and 17th 2016, Trondheim, Norway. Journal of Translational Medicine. vol. 14:295.
- (2016) Studieresultater fra HUNT kan gi tidlig lungekreft-svar. Trønder-avisa [Internett]. 2016-06-10.
- (2016) Serum microRNAs/enriched pathways in lung cancer 1-4 years before diagnosis: A pilot study from the HUNT Biobank, Norway. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2016) Pemetrexed as first or second line in 112 danish patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2016) Prognostic role of microscopically positive margins for primary gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Scientific Reports. vol. 6.
- (2015) Asbestos textile production linked to malignant peritoneal and pleural mesothelioma in women: Analysis of 28 cases in Southeast China. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. vol. 58 (10).
- (2015) The established and future biomarkers of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Cancer Treatment Reviews. vol. 41 (6).
- (2015) Malignant pleural mesothelioma: History, controversy and future of a manmade epidemic. European Respiratory Review. vol. 24 (135).
- (2015) Hva står på spill med lokalsykehusene? :. Bioingeniøren. vol. 50 (6).
- (2015) Activity of pemetrexed-based regimen as first-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer with asymptomatic inoperable brain metastasis: A retrospective study. Journal of chemotherapy. vol. 27 (4).
- (2014) Serum sRANKL/OPG predict recurrence after radiofrequency catheter ablation of lone atrial fibrillation. International Journal of Cardiology. vol. 170 (3).
- (2014) A functional polymorphism C-509t in TGF-1 promoter contributes to susceptibility and prognosis of lone atrial fibrillation in chinese population. PLOS ONE. vol. 9 (11).
- (2014) Preoperative serum receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand/osteoprotegerin predict stabilization of spontaneously restored sinus rhythm in persistent atrial fibrillation patients after mitral valve surgery. Cardiology. vol. 127 (3).
- (2014) Icotinib is an active treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer: A retrospective study. PLOS ONE. vol. 9 (5).
- (2014) JWA suppresses tumor angiogenesis via Sp1-activated matrix metalloproteinase-2 and its prognostic significance in human gastric cancer. Carcinogenesis. vol. 35 (2).
- (2014) The opposite prognostic significance of nuclear and cytoplasmic p21 expression in resectable gastric cancer patients. Journal of gastroenterology. vol. 49 (11).
- (2014) Hidden treasures in "ancient" microarrays: Gene expression portrays biology and potential resistance pathways of major lung cancer subtypes and normal tissue. Frontiers in Oncology. vol. 4.
- (2014) Blodprøve kan avsløre lungekreft. Adresseavisen.
- (2014) Postoperative leukopenia is an independent prognostic factor in resectable gastric cancer patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2014) Adrenocortical carcinoma mimicking lung cancer and responding to vinorelbine/carboplatin and pemetrexed/carboplatin. BMJ Case Reports.
- (2014) JWA reverses cisplatin resistance via the CK2-XRCC1 pathway in human gastric cancer cells. Cell Death & Disease. vol. 5 (12).
- (2014) TXNL1-XRCC1 pathway regulates cisplatin-induced cell death and contributes to resistance in human gastric cancer. Cell Death & Disease. vol. 5 (2).
- (2013) Preoperative serum soluble receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappa B ligand and osteoprotegerin predict postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing cardiac valve surgery. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. vol. 96 (3).
- (2013) Osteoprotegerin/RANK/RANKL axis and atrial remodeling in mitral valvular patients with atrial fibrillation. International Journal of Cardiology. vol. 166 (3).
- (2013) Gefitinib or Erlotinib as Maintenance Therapy in Patients with Advanced Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Systematic Review. PLOS ONE. vol. 8 (3).
- (2013) Leptin attenuates the anti-estrogen effect of tamoxifen in breast cancer. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. vol. 67 (1).
- (2013) High FAK combined with low JWA expression: clinical prognostic and predictive role for adjuvant fluorouracil-leucovorin-oxaliplatin treatment in resectable gastric cancer patients. Journal of gastroenterology. vol. 48 (9).
- (2013) DNA repair suppression and effect of cisplatin in mesothelioma and lung cancer cell lines. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2013) DNA repair suppression and effect of cisplatin in mesothelioma and lung cancer cell lines. ASCO 2013 . ASCO; Chicago. 2013-05-30 - 2013-06-03.
- (2013) CHIP functions as a novel suppressor of tumour angiogenesis with prognostic significance in human gastric cancer. Gut. vol. 62 (4).
- (2013) OPG/RANK/RANKL Axis in Stabilization of Spontaneously Restored Sinus Rhythm in Permanent Atrial Fibrillation Patients after Mitral Valve Surgery. Cardiology. vol. 124 (1).
- (2013) WT1 Promotes Cell Proliferation in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Cell Lines Through Up-Regulating Cyclin D1 and p-pRb In Vitro and In Vivo. PLOS ONE. vol. 8 (8).
- (2013) MDM2 is a useful prognostic biomarker for resectable gastric cancer. Cancer Science. vol. 104 (5).
- (2012) The effect of monosialotetrahexosylganglioside (GM1) in prevention of oxaliplatin induced neurotoxicity: A retrospective study. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. vol. 66 (4).
- (2012) Recombinant human endostatin (endostar) decreased recurrent ascites, pleural fluid and ascitic VEGF in a case of advanced mesothelioma. Journal of chemotherapy. vol. 24 (4).
- (2012) Synergistic Role between p53 and JWA: Prognostic and Predictive Biomarkers in Gastric Cancer. PLOS ONE. vol. 7 (12).
- (2012) Cell cycle checkpoint genes and homologous recombinational repair are overexpressed in malignant pleural mesothelioma. IMIG 2012 . International Mesothelioma Interest Group; Boston. 2012-09-11 - 2012-09-14.
- (2012) Comparative evaluation of Affymetrix and Illumina genome-wide expression data in Pleural Mesothelioma. 7th conference of the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology & Bioinformatics - HSCBB12 FORTH, Heraklion, Crete, . HSCBB; Heraklion. 2012-10-04 - 2012-10-06.
- (2012) Differentially expressed genes of major lung tumour subtypes and normal lung tissue. Proceedings of the 7th conference of the Hellenic Society for Computational Biology & Bioinformatics - HSCBB12 FORTH, Heraklion, . HSCBB; Heraklion. 2012-10-04 - 2012-10-06.
- (2012) Fanconi anemia genes, RHINO and other cell cycle checkpoint genes are overexpressed in malignant pleural mesothelioma. The 3rd Erling Seeberg symposium, June 2012 in Trondheim and Ørland, Norway . IKMM, NTNU; Ørland. 2012-06-19 - 2012-06-24.
- (2012) Mesothelioma cluster in a medium sized hospital in South-East China: Relations to asbestos exposure and clinicopathological findings. IMIG 2012 . International Mesothelioma Interest Group; Boston. 2012-09-11 - 2012-09-14.
- (2012) MicroRNA in Cancer. Nanjing Medical University . School of Public Health; Nanjing Medical University. 2012-12-15 - 2012-12-15.
- (2012) Molecular Resistance Fingerprint of Pemetrexed and Platinum in a Long-Term Survivor of Mesothelioma. PLOS ONE. vol. 7 (8).
- (2012) Chemosensitivity Prediction of Tumours Based on Expression, miRNA, and Proteomics Data. International Journal of Systems Biology and Biomedical Technologies. vol. 1 (2).
- (2012) Prognostic and Predictive Role of JWA and XRCC1 Expressions in Gastric Cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. vol. 18 (10).
- (2011) Dysregulated Atrial Gene Expression of Osteoprotegerin/Receptor Activator of Nuclear Factor-kappa B (RANK)/RANK Ligand Axis in the Development and Progression of Atrial Fibrillation. Circulation Journal. vol. 75 (12).
- (2011) Information-Preserving Techniques Improve Chemosensitivity Prediction of Tumours Based on Expression Profiles. Engineering Applications of Neural Networks - 12th INNS EANN-SIG International Conference, EANN 2011 and 7th IFIP WG 12.5 International Conference, AIAI 2011 . Engineering Applications of Neural Networks-EANN; Corfu. 2011-09-12 - 2011-09-18.
- (2010) Bengalo : Foy. Etnisk musikklubb. 2010.
- (2010) Malignant pleural mesothelioma: Genome-wide expression patterns reflectinggeneral resistance mechanisms and a proposal of novel targets. Lung Cancer. vol. 67 (1).
- (2010) Re-evaluation of histological diagnoses of malignant mesothelioma by immunohistochemistry. Diagnostic Pathology. vol. 5.
- (2009) Genome-Wide Profile of Pleural Mesothelioma versus Parietal and Visceral Pleura: The emerging Gene Portrait of the Mesothelioma Phenotype. PLOS ONE. vol. 4 (8).
- (2008) Malignant Mesothelioma:Virus, Biomarkers and Genes- a Translational Approach. 2008. ISBN 978-82-471-1249-6.
- (2008) Mesothelin-related Predictive and Prognostic Factors in Malignant Mesothelioma, a nested case-control study. Lung Cancer. vol. 61 (2).
- (2007) Absence of SV40 antibodies or DNA fragments in prediagnostic mesothelioma serum samples. International Journal of Cancer. vol. 120.
- (2006) Microarray of normal mesothelium and mesothelioma-visceral and parietal pleura has distinct gene expression profile-consequences for oncogenesis of mesothelioma?. 8th International Conference of the International Mesothelioma Interest Group ; Chicago, Illinois. 2006-10-19 - 2006-10-22.
- (2005) SMRP (Soluble Mesothelin Related Protein), CYFRA 21-1 and CA125 in serum 1-30 years before mesothelioma diagnosis: a case-control study. The International Mesothelioma Symposium ; 2005-11-22 - 2005-11-27.