Background and activities
Appointments and research interests
My current appointments are Consultant oncologist at the Cancer Clinic, Levanger Hospital, post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, NTNU and Associate Professor at the Aalborg University Hospital. I am the Principal Investigator of the Cancer-Biomarkers in HUNT (see link).
My main research interests have been a combination of clinical and basic cancer research (translational), including biomarkers for early detection of cancer, predictive and prognostic biomarkers, genome-wide analysis and mechanisms of treatment resistance.
The research has been focused on mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer, but recently also lung and gastric cancer. I have published papers on biomarkers in serum and tissue of mesothelioma and gastric cancer in international peer-reviewed journals as Lung Cancer, PlosOne, Clinical Cancer Research and Gut. Specifically in mesothelioma my research experience includes clinical research where I initiated and completed studies on early detection of mesothelioma in pre-clinical serum in collaboration with the Cancer Registry and the Janus Biobank, with a fruitful collaboration with prof. Jeanette Creaney at the National Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia. At our research department I conducted three gene expression studies at the FUGE (Functional Genomics) core facility with Affymetrix U133 Plus 2 and Illumina HumanHT-12 v3 Expression BeadChip on human mesothelioma and normal pleural samples.
The recent years a collaborative work on novel bioinformatics methods with bioinformaticians at Vanderbilt-USA/University of Crete-Greece has resulted in exciting results and new publications.
Since November 2010 a new collaboration with Nanjing Medical University, China was initiated on mesothelioma, lung and gastric cancer. Current work in progress includes:
1) prospective collection of high quality biological material of lung cancer and mesothelioma to do high-throughput analyses such as microRNA and mRNA expression to identify novel biomarkers with clinical relevance.
2) cell-line experiments on mesothelioma, lung and gastric cancer on improving the effect of cisplatin by inhibition of homologous recombination (HR) and non-homologous end joining (NHEJ) and analyse DNA repair, gene and protein expression before and after treatment.
The HUNT biobank in Levanger, Norway, is one of the largest biobanks in Scandinavia with serum and clinical data from approximately 78 000 subjects. Since May 2011 a collaboration with the HUNT was initiated, aiming at tumour-specific microRNA discovery in pre-diagnostic serum. The Cancer-Biomarkers in HUNT Project aims at discovery of biomarkers in serum for detection of lung cancer and mesothelioma in an early stage.
Since 2013 a professional appointment and collaboration with the Aalborg University Hospital was initiated. Aalborg, the major and capital city in the Northern Jutland Region has hosted the only asbestos factory (Eternit) in Denmark and processed 80% of all asbestos imported to Denmark. The long term effects of the asbestos use is that the age-standardised incidence rate for men with mesothelioma in the Region of Northern Jutland in 2008-2009 is approximately 3-fold higher than in the other four Danish Regions. Currently I hold a 20% position as Assistant Professor at the Department of Oncology in Aalborg, and heading a multidisciplinary group formed to do mesothelioma research.
Funding has been granted from the Norwegian Research Council by 310 000 NoK in 2012 and Liaison Committee between the Central Norway Regional Health Authority (RHA) and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) with 5,7 mill. NoK in 2014.
In 2015 our research on early detection for lung cancer received 300 000 Nok from the Levanger Hospital and in 2016 300 000 USD from IASLC- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (see link).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) The undifferentiated carcinoma that became a melanoma: Re-biopsy of a cancer of an unknown primary site: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. vol. 11 (82).
- (2017) JWA regulates TRAIL-induced apoptosis via MARCH8-mediated DR4 ubiquitination in cisplatin-resistant gastric cancer cells. Oncogenesis. vol. 6 (7).
- (2016) Prognostic value of perioperative leukocyte count in resectable gastric cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 22 (9).
- (2016) Circulating tumor cells as a prognostic and predictive marker in gastrointestinal stromal tumors: A prospective study. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (24).
- (2016) A clinical prognostic scoring system for resectable gastric cancer to predict survival and benefit from paclitaxel- or oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. Drug Design, Development and Therapy. vol. 10.
- (2016) JWA loss promotes cell migration and cytoskeletal rearrangement by affecting HER2 expression and identifies a high-risk subgroup of HER2-positive gastric carcinoma patients. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (24).
- (2016) Excerpts from the 1st international NTNU symposium on current and future clinical biomarkers of cancer: innovation and implementation, June 16th and 17th 2016, Trondheim, Norway. Journal of Translational Medicine. vol. 14:295.
- (2016) Serum microRNAs/enriched pathways in lung cancer 1-4 years before diagnosis: A pilot study from the HUNT Biobank, Norway. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2016) Pemetrexed as first or second line in 112 danish patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- (2016) Prognostic role of microscopically positive margins for primary gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Scientific Reports. vol. 6.
- (2015) Asbestos textile production linked to malignant peritoneal and pleural mesothelioma in women: Analysis of 28 cases in Southeast China. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. vol. 58 (10).
- (2015) The established and future biomarkers of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Cancer Treatment Reviews. vol. 41 (6).
- (2015) Malignant pleural mesothelioma: History, controversy and future of a manmade epidemic. European Respiratory Review. vol. 24 (135).
- (2015) Activity of pemetrexed-based regimen as first-line chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer with asymptomatic inoperable brain metastasis: A retrospective study. Journal of chemotherapy. vol. 27 (4).
- (2014) Serum sRANKL/OPG predict recurrence after radiofrequency catheter ablation of lone atrial fibrillation. International Journal of Cardiology. vol. 170 (3).
- (2014) A functional polymorphism C-509t in TGF-1 promoter contributes to susceptibility and prognosis of lone atrial fibrillation in chinese population. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (11).
- (2014) Preoperative serum receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand/osteoprotegerin predict stabilization of spontaneously restored sinus rhythm in persistent atrial fibrillation patients after mitral valve surgery. Cardiology. vol. 127 (3).
- (2014) Icotinib is an active treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer: A retrospective study. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (5).
- (2014) JWA suppresses tumor angiogenesis via Sp1-activated matrix metalloproteinase-2 and its prognostic significance in human gastric cancer. Carcinogenesis. vol. 35 (2).
- (2014) The opposite prognostic significance of nuclear and cytoplasmic p21 expression in resectable gastric cancer patients. Journal of gastroenterology. vol. 49 (11).