Background and activities
Pål Romundstad is Vice Dean for Research at the Faculty of Medicine and Professor of Epidemiology at the Department of Public Health and General Practice at NTNU. He also holds a position as Research Adviser at St. Olavs Hospital, Trondheim University Hospital.
Main Research Interests:
- Cancer epidemiology
- Reproduction and pregnancy
- Life course and intergenerational studies
- Mendelian Randomisation
Previous academic positions:
- Research fellow, The Cancer registry of Norway, Oslo
- Post.doc and scientist (epidemiology), NTNU, Trondheim
- Dr. Philos., NTNU (2001)
- MSc in Chemistry, (1989)
Weedon-Fekjær H, Romundstad PR, Vatten LJ. Modern mammography screening and breast cancer mortality: population study. BMJ 2014;348:g3701
Romundstad PR, Magnussen EB, Smith GD, Vatten LJ.Hypertension in pregnancy and later cardiovascular risk: common antecedents? Circulation. 2010 Aug 10;122(6):579-84.
Romundstad LB, Romundstad PR, Sunde A, During V, Skjærven R, Gunnell D, Vatten LJ. Perinatal outcome after assisted fertilisation: effects of technology or maternal factors? Lancet 2008;372:737-743.
Magnussen EB, Vatten LJ, Lund-Nilsen TI, Salvesen KA, Davey Smith G, Romundstad PR. Prepregnancy cardiovascular risk factors as predictors of pre-eclampsia: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2007;335:978.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Early self-reported pain in juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) is related to long-term outcomes. Results from the Nordic JIA cohort study. Arthritis care & research.
- (2018) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, vitamin D supplement and asthma control: The HUNT study. Respiratory Medicine. vol. 136.
- (2018) Elective induction of labor: A prospective observational study. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (11).
- (2018) Alterations in the Vitamin D endocrine system during pregnancy: A longitudinal study of 855 healthy Norwegian women. PLoS ONE. vol. 13:e0195041 (4).
- (2018) The impact of parity on life course blood pressure trajectories: the HUNT study in Norway. European Journal of Epidemiology.
- (2018) Life course trajectories of cardiovascular risk factors in women with and without hypertensive disorders in first pregnancy: The HUNT study in Norway. Journal of the American Heart Association. vol. 7 (15).
- (2018) Pain sensitivity and thermal detection thresholds in young adults born preterm with very low birth weight or small for gestational age at term compared with controls. Journal of Pain. vol. 19 (8).
- (2018) Development and course of chronic pain over 4 years in the general population: The HUNT pain study. European Journal of Pain. vol. 22 (9).
- (2018) White blood cell BRCA1 promoter methylation status and ovarian cancer risk. Annals of Internal Medicine. vol. 168 (5).
- (2018) 743 HUNTing for genes that affect inflammatory skin disease in 4,071 cases and 40,430 controls. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. vol. 138 (5).
- (2018) Metabolic syndrome and risk of incident psoriasis: prospective data from the HUNT Study, Norway. British Journal of Dermatology. vol. 180 (1).
- (2018) Psoriasis and cardiovascular disease risk factors: the HUNT Study, Norway. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. vol. 32 (5).
- (2018) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of lung cancer and histologic types: a Mendelian randomization analysis of the HUNT study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 51 (6).
- (2018) Is smoking heaviness causally associated with alcohol use? A Mendelian randomization study in four European cohorts. International Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 47 (4).
- (2018) Population-based analysis of the impact of trauma on longer-term functional outcomes. British Journal of Surgery.
- (2017) Hypertension in Pregnancy and Offspring Cardiovascular Risk in Young Adulthood: Prospective and Sibling Studies in the HUNT Study (Nord-Trøndelag Health Study) in Norway. Hypertension. vol. 69 (4).
- (2017) Early pain report in oligoarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis is related to long-term outcome. Pediatric Rheumatology. vol. 15 (64).
- (2017) Resting heart rate and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer, and all-cause mortality. A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. NMCD. Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. vol. 27 (6).
- (2017) Body mass index, abdominal fatness, fat mass and the risk of atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and dose–response meta-analysis of prospective studies. European Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 32 (3).
- (2017) Is vaginal breech delivery associated with higher risk for perinatal death and cerebral palsy compared with vaginal cephalic birth? Registry-based cohort study in Norway. BMJ Open. vol. 7 (4).