Background and activities
I am Associate Professor in CSCW and Digital Collaboration and Deputy Head of Department for Sustainability at the Department of Computer Science, NTNU.
I belong to the Applied Information Technologies (AIT) group. I have coordinated the Digital Enterprise Research Priority Area at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (2019-2022).
I hold a PhD in Computer Science from NTNU (2015). My PhD thesis was titled: "Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations".
My primary research interest is the study of the empirical challenges of implementing and maintaining sustainable digital platforms from a sociotechnical perspective, in particular:
- user-centered perspectives in responsible design and use of AI
- data work and data curation in data science
- digitalization of work processes (especially in the energy sector)
- Internet of Things for long-term ecological research
Methodologically, I adopt an ethnographically inspired approach based on an interpretive perspective.
Theoretically, I am particularly concerned with issues of system integration and data management. I draw primarily on IS and CSCW theories, but my work is also influenced by Science and Technology Studies (STS). I have recently published in MIS Quarterly, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, CSCW Jorunal, Science and Technology Studies Journal, the International Conference on IS, European Conference on IS, and the Scandinavian Journal of IS.
I am in the management team of the project AI4Users, in cooperation with University of Agder (project leader) and University of Oslo, funded by the IKTPLUSS program of the Norwegian Research Council (2020-2025).
I am PI for the Human Factors in AI area in the Nordic Center for Sustainable and Trustworthy AI Research (NordSTAR) funded by OsloMet.
I am affiliated with the Sirius center for research-based innovation (2016-2024).
Previously, I was in the management group of the research network AlgoCult ("Algorithmic Cultures and the Digitalization of the Public Sector"), in cooperation with Kristiania University College and the University of Oslo, funded by the SAMKUL program of the Norwegian Research Concil (2018-2019).
- SANT2025 - Interdisiplinary profile course: Digital transformation, culture and society
- DT8118 - Advanced Cooperation Systems
- TDMA5004 - Research Project Planning
- DIFT1005 - Computer-supported cooperative work
- IT6207 - Remote operations
- TDT4257 - Digital Platforms and Service Innovation
- INFT1008 - Computer-supported cooperative work
- TDMA5005 - Master Thesis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) In the Backrooms of Data Science. Journal of the AIS. vol. 23 (1).
- (2021) Platform-Supported Cooperative Work. Reports of the European Society for Socially Embedded Technologies.
- (2021) How to Teach Empirical Research Methods in Information Systems? Report from a SCIS/IRIS 2019 Workshop. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems (SJIS). vol. 33 (1).
- (2021) Not in transition: Inter-infrastructural governance and the politics of repair in the Norwegian oil and gas offshore industry. Energy Research & Social Science. vol. 75.
- (2020) The role of theory in empirical research methods in Information Systems: An agile lecture sequence approach. Læring om læring. vol. 5 (1).
- (2020) Data Curation as Governance Practice. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems (SJIS). vol. 32 (1).
- (2020) OASIS 2019 Panel Report: A Glimpse at the “Post-Digital”. Communications of the Association for Information Systems. vol. 47.
- (2020) IRIS Conference Health Check. Traditions, tensions, and reformations. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems (SJIS). vol. 32 (2).
- (2019) Inquire the Way We Inquire. ID&A Interaction design & architecture(s).
- (2019) Synthetic Knowing: The Politics of the Internet of Things. MIS Quarterly. vol. 43 (1).
- (2018) What does infrastructuring look like in STS? When? Workshop Report. EASST Review. vol. 37 (4).
- (2017) This is not a fish: on the scale and politics of infrastructure design studies. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2016) A measure of ‘environmental happiness’: Infrastructuring environmental risk in oil and gas offshore operations. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 29 (1).
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2015) The nested materiality of environmental monitoring. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems (SJIS). vol. 27 (1).
- (2015) The Digital Coral: Infrastructuring Environmental Monitoring. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 24 (5).
- (2022) Digital Transformation in Norwegian Enterprises. Springer. 2022. ISBN 978-3-031-05276-7.
- (2021) Proceedings of the12th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems (SCIS2021). Association for Information Systems (AIS). 2021. ISBN 978-82-303-5054-6.
Part of book/report
- (2022) From Integrated to Remote Operations: Digital Transformation in the Energy Industry as Infrastructuring. Digital Transformation in Norwegian Enterprises.
- (2022) Timescaping the Arctic with Real-Time Data. Arctic Abstractive Industry: Assembling the Valuable and Vulnerable North.