Background and activities
I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Computer Science, NTNU.
I hold a PhD in Computer Science from NTNU. My PhD thesis was titled: "Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations". In 2014, I have been a visiting researcher at the University of Edinburgh and the IT University in Copenhagen.
My primary research interest is the study of the empirical challenges of implementing and maintaining ICT-based platforms and information infrastructures from a sociotechnical perspective. I am also particularly interested in the methodological stakes when studying distributed and long-term arrangements like infrastructures and platforms. Methodologically, I adopt an ethnographic approach based on an interpretive perspective.
Theoretically, I am particularly concerned with issues of system integration and standardization. I draw primarily on IS and CSCW theories, but my work is also influenced by Science and Technology Studies (STS).
I am in the management team of the project InfraData ("Infrastructuring Internet of Things for Public Governance"), in cooperation with the University of Oslo, funded by the IKTPLUSS program of the Norwegian Research Concil (2017-2018).
Empirically, my focus is on three different domains:
- digitalization of work processes in the oil and gas world, primarliy subsea environmental monitoring during well operations, resource exploration, and operations. This work is carried out as part of the Sirius center for research-based innovation (2016-2023) and the Digital Oil project (2012-2016). During my PhD (2012-2014) I was part of the Center for Integrated Operations in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- long-term ecological research, as part of the projects InfraData and MULTICS (in cooperation with the University of Oulu).
- digitalization of drug development and distrubution in the EU, in particular related to the fight against medicine counterfeiting in the pharmaceutical supply chain, in cooperation with the D3 project led by the London School of Economics, ended in 2017.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Synthetic Knowing: The Politics of the Internet of Things. MIS Quarterly. vol. 43 (1).
- (2018) Quantifying quality: Towards a Post-Humanist Perspective on Sensemaking. Living with Monsters? Social Implications of Algorithmic Phenomena, Hybrid Agency, and the Performativity of Technology.
- (2018) Surfacing the arctic: politics of participation in infrastructuring. Proceedings of the 15th Participatory Design Conference: Short Papers, Situated Actions, Workshops and Tutorial - Volume 2.
- (2018) Little Data, Big Data, No Data? Data Management in the Era of Research Infrastructures. 2018. ISBN 978-952-62-2006-2.
- (2017) This is not a fish: on the scale and politics of infrastructure design studies. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2016) A measure of ‘environmental happiness’: Infrastructuring environmental risk in oil and gas offshore operations. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 29 (1).
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2015) The nested materiality of environmental monitoring. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 27 (1).
- (2015) The Digital Coral: Infrastructuring Environmental Monitoring. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 24 (5).
- (2015) Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations. 2015. ISBN 978-82-326-1124-9. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (234).
- (2014) Sociomaterial capabilities in integrated oil and gas operations - Implications for design. Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2014, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 9-11, 2014.
- (2014) Of Corals and Web Portals: Towards a Digital Representation of Risk for the Cold-Water Corals in the Oil and Gas Sector. COOP 2014 - Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on the Design of Cooperative Systems, Nice, France 27-30 May, 2014.
- (2013) Pragmatic Information Management For Environmental Monitoring In Oil And Gas. European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2013) Proceedings.
- (2013) The Facets of Sociomateriality: A Systematic Mapping of Emerging Concepts and Definitions. Nordic Contributions in IS Research : 4th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems, SCIS 2013, Oslo, Norway, August 11-14, 2013. Proceedings.