Background and activities
I am Associate Professor in CSCW and Digital Collaboration at the Department of Computer Science, NTNU. I am affiliated with the Applied Information Technologies (AIT) group. I coordinate the Digital Enterprise Research Priority Area at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
I hold a PhD in Computer Science from NTNU (2015). My PhD thesis was titled: "Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations".
My primary research interest is the study of the empirical challenges of implementing and maintaining sustainable digital platforms from a sociotechnical perspective, in particular:
- user-centered perspectives in the design and use of AI for public service delivery
- data work and data curation in data science
- digitalization of work processes (especially in the energy sector)
- Internet of Things for long-term ecological research
Methodologically, I adopt an ethnographically inspired approach based on an interpretive perspective.
Theoretically, I am particularly concerned with issues of system integration and data management. I draw primarily on IS and CSCW theories, but my work is also influenced by Science and Technology Studies (STS). I have recently published in MIS Quarterly, CSCW Jorunal, Science and Technology Studies Journal, the International Conference on IS, European Conference on IS, and the Scandinavian Journal of IS.
I am in the management team of the project AI4Users, in cooperation with University of Agder (project leader) and University of Oslo, funded by the IKTPLUSS program of the Norwegian Research Council (2020-2025).
I am affiliated with the Sirius center for research-based innovation (2016-2024).
Previously, I was in the management group of the research network AlgoCult ("Algorithmic Cultures and the Digitalization of the Public Sector"), in cooperation with Kristiania University College the University of Oslo, funded by the SAMKUL program of the Norwegian Research Concil (2018-2019).
Courses I am involved in:
- DIFT1005 (campus-based) & INFT1008 (online-based; course responsible) - Datstøttet Samhandling (in Norwegian, bachelor); with Birgit Krogstie and Geir Ove Rosvold
- TDT4257 - Digital Service Innovation (assignment coordinator, master); with Eric Monteiro
- DT8118 Advanced cooperation systems (course responsible from A2020, PhD)
- TDMA5004 - Planlegging av forskningsprosjekt (Lecturer; in Norwegian, master)
- TDMA4003 - Vitenskapelig metode (co-lecturer; in Norwegian, master)
Courses I have previously taught:
- IT3010 - Research-based Innovation Methodologies in Computer and Information Science (Lecturer, master)
- DT8111 - Empirical Software Engineering (in conjunction with IT3010) (Lecturer, PhD)
- IT1604 - Digitalt Samfunn (Lecturer; in Norwegian, bachelor)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The role of theory in empirical research methods in Information Systems: An agile lecture sequence approach. Læring om læring. vol. 5 (1).
- (2020) Data Curation as Governance Practice. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 32 (1).
- (2020) OASIS 2019 Panel Report: A Glimpse at the “Post-Digital”. Communications of the Association for Information Systems. vol. 47.
- (2020) IRIS Conference Health Check. Traditions, tensions, and reformations. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 32 (2).
- (2019) Inquire the Way We Inquire. ID&A Interaction design & architecture(s).
- (2019) Synthetic Knowing: The Politics of the Internet of Things. MIS Quarterly. vol. 43 (1).
- (2018) What does infrastructuring look like in STS? When? Workshop Report. EASST Review. vol. 37 (4).
- (2017) This is not a fish: on the scale and politics of infrastructure design studies. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2016) A measure of ‘environmental happiness’: Infrastructuring environmental risk in oil and gas offshore operations. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 29 (1).
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2015) The nested materiality of environmental monitoring. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 27 (1).
- (2015) The Digital Coral: Infrastructuring Environmental Monitoring. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 24 (5).
Part of book/report
- (2020) Platformization of the Public Sector: Assessing the Space of Possibilities for Participation. PDC '20: Participatory Design Conference 2020 - Participation Otherwise.
- (2020) Platformization of the public sector: Assessing the space of possibility for participation. PDC '20: Participatory Design Conference 2020 - Participation Otherwise.
- (2019) Data Infrastructures in the Public Sector: A Critical Research Agenda Rooted in Scandinavian IS Research. Proceedings of the 10th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems (SCIS2019).
- (2019) Digitized Coral Reefs. Digitalsts: A Field Guide for Science & Technology Studies.
- (2018) Infrastructuring Internet of Things for Public Governance. European Conference on Information Systems: Beyond Digitization - Facets of Socio-Technical Change ECIS 2018 Proceedings.
- (2018) Quantifying quality: Towards a Post-Humanist Perspective on Sensemaking. Living with Monsters? Social Implications of Algorithmic Phenomena, Hybrid Agency, and the Performativity of Technology. IS&O 2018. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol 543. Springer, Cham.
- (2018) Surfacing the arctic: politics of participation in infrastructuring. Proceedings of the 15th Participatory Design Conference: Short Papers, Situated Actions, Workshops and Tutorial - Volume 2.
- (2018) Shifting Baselines? Recommendations for Green IS. Proceedings of the 39th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS).