Background and activities
I hold a PhD in Computer Science from NTNU. My PhD thesis was titled: "Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations". In 2014 I have been a visiting researcher at the University of Edinburgh and the IT University in Copenhagen.
I sit in the management team of the project InfraData ("Infrastructuring Internet of Things For Public Governance") with the University of Oslo. The project is funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
My primary research interest is the study of the empirical challenges of implementing and maintaining ICT-based platforms and information infrastructures from a sociotechnical perspective. I am also particularly interested in the methodological stakes when studying distributed and long-term arrangements like infrastructures and platforms. Methodologically, I adopt an ethnographic approach based on an interpretive perspective.
Theoretically, I am particulary concerned with issues of system integration and standardization. I draw primarily on IS and CSCW theories, but my work is also influenced by Science and Technology Studies (STS).
Empirically, my focus is on three different strands:
1) the oil and gas sector, where I have studied the case of subsea environmental monitoring during well operations. This work is carried out as part of the Sirius center for research-based innovation (2016-2023) and the Digital Oil project (2012-2016). During my PhD (2012-2014) I was part of the Center for Integrated Operations in the Oil and Gas Industry.
2) long-term ecological research, as part of the "InfraData: Infrastructuring Internet of Things for Public Governance", in cooperation with the University of Oslo, and the MULTICS project in cooperation with the University of Oulu. I also sit in the management team of the InfraData project funded by the IKTPLUSS program by the Norwegian Research Council.
3) digitalization of drug development and distrubution in the EU, in particular related to the fight against medicine counterfeiting in the pharmaceutical supply chain. This research theme is in collaboration with the D3 project led by the London School of Economics.
I am also in the Advisor Board of the Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems (SJIS) since 2017.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) This Is Not a Fish: On the Scale and Politics of Infrastructure Design Studies. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2016) A measure of ‘environmental happiness’: Infrastructuring environmental risk in oil and gas offshore operations. Science & Technology Studies. vol. 29 (1).
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2015) The nested materiality of environmental monitoring. Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 27 (1).
- (2015) The Digital Coral: Infrastructuring Environmental Monitoring. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). vol. 24 (5).
Part of book/report
- (2014) Sociomaterial capabilities in integrated oil and gas operations - Implications for design. Proceedings of the European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2014, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 9-11, 2014.
- (2014) Of Corals and Web Portals: Towards a Digital Representation of Risk for the Cold-Water Corals in the Oil and Gas Sector. COOP 2014 - Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on the Design of Cooperative Systems, Nice, France 27-30 May, 2014.
- (2013) Pragmatic Information Management For Environmental Monitoring In Oil And Gas. European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2013) Proceedings.
- (2013) The Facets of Sociomateriality: A Systematic Mapping of Emerging Concepts and Definitions. Nordic Contributions in IS Research : 4th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems, SCIS 2013, Oslo, Norway, August 11-14, 2013. Proceedings.
- (2015) Integration by Infrastructuring: The Case of Subsea Environmental Monitoring in Oil and Gas Offshore Operations. 2015. ISBN 978-82-326-1124-9. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (234).
- (2016) "There's no single Arctic": Knowing nature in oil operations. 4S/EASST Conference ; Barcelona. 2016-08-31 - 2016-09-03.
- (2014) The digital coral reef. 4S . Society of Social Studies of Science; Buenos Aires. 2014-08-20 - 2014-08-23.
- (2014) Where Oil and Gas Find LoVe. Social construction of technology coming of age: new challenges and opportunities ahead ; Trondheim. 2014-06-03 - 2014-06-05.
- (2013) Mobilizing Heterogeneous forces in the modeling of data: from perplexity to institutionalism. The First Nordic STS Conference . NTNU KULT; Værnes. 2013-04-24 - 2013-04-26.
- (2013) Data Performativity in Oil and Gas Operations. 4S . Society of Social Studies of Science; San Diego. 2013-10-09 - 2013-10-12.
- (2013) Digital Coral Reefs. DigitalSTS 2013 ; San Diego. 2013-10-07 - 2013-10-08.
- (2012) Supporting environmental monitoring in Integrated Operations: a preliminary study. The 35th Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia (IRIS 2012) ; Sigtuna. 2012-08-17 - 2013-08-20.