Paul Jarle Mork
Background and activities
Paul Jarle Mork (1969) is a Professor at the Department of Public Health and Nursing. He is leading the EU funded project selfBACK and is partner in the EU project Back-UP. Mork is member of the musculoskeletal research group. He is also leading the project on objective measurements of physical activity in the fourth round of the HUNT Study.
Main topics of research
- Lifestyle factors and health with special focus on musculoskeletal disorders.
- mHealth solutions to support management of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Prevention and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal disorders
- Physiological mechanisms related to the development of musculoskeletal disorders.
An overview of ongoing projects can be found here.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Clustering of Physical Behaviour Profiles using Knowledge-intensive Similarity Measures. SciTePress. 2020. ISBN 978-989-758-395-7.
- (2020) Association between objectively measured physical behaviour and neck- and/or low back pain: a systematic review. European Journal of Pain.
- (2019) Comparison of physical behavior estimates from three different thigh-worn accelerometers brands: A proof-of-concept for the Prospective Physical Activity, Sitting, and Sleep consortium (ProPASS). International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. vol. 16:65.
- (2019) An App-Delivered Self-Management Program for People With Low Back Pain: Protocol for the selfBACK Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research. vol. 8 (12).
- (2019) Influence of sleep problems and co-occurring musculoskeletal pain on long-term prognosis of chronic low back pain: the HUNT Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.
- (2019) The interplay between sleeplessness and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein on risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain: longitudinal data from the Tromsø Study. Sleep. vol. 42 (9).
- (2019) The joint effect of insomnia symptoms and lifestyle factors on risk of self-reported fibromyalgia in women: longitudinal data from the HUNT Study. BMJ Open. vol. 9 (8).
- (2019) Work-Related Mental Fatigue, Physical Activity and Risk of Insomnia Symptoms: Longitudinal Data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. Behavioural Sleep Medicine.
- (2019) Emerging collaborative research platforms for the next generation of physical activity, sleep and exercise medicine guidelines: the Prospective Physical Activity, Sitting, and Sleep consortium (ProPASS). British Journal of Sports Medicine. vol. 54 (8).
- (2019) Development of grip strength during the first year after stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 51 (4).
- (2019) Similarity measure development for case-based reasoning-a data-driven approach. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 1056 CCIS.
- (2018) Influence of family history on prognosis of spinal pain and the role of leisure time physical activity and body mass index: A prospective study using family-linkage data from the Norwegian HUNT study. BMJ Open. vol. 8:e022785 (10).
- (2018) Design of a clinician dashboard to facilitate co-decision making in the management of non-specific low back pain. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems.
- (2018) Muscle Activity in Upper-Body Single-Joint Resistance Exercises with Elastic Resistance Bands vs. Free Weights. Journal of Human Kinetics. vol. 61 (1).
- (2018) Can socioeconomic health differences be explained by physical activity at work and during leisure time? Rationale and protocol of the active worker individual participant meta-analysis. BMJ Open. vol. 8 (10).
- (2018) Resistance training vs general physical exercise in multidisciplinary rehabilitation of chronic neck pain: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 50 (8).
- (2018) Resistance band training or general exercise in multidisciplinary rehabilitation of low back pain? A randomized trial. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. vol. 28 (9).
- (2018) A Decision Support System to Enhance Self-Management of Low Back Pain: Protocol for the selfBACK Project. Journal of Medical Internet Research. vol. 7 (7).
- (2018) Improved cardiorespiratory fitness after occupational rehabilitation in merged diagnostic groups. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (AOEM). vol. 30:16.
- (2018) The associations of sitting time and physical activity on total and site-specific cancer incidence: Results from the HUNT study, Norway. PLOS ONE. vol. 13:e0206015 (10).
- (2018) Objectively measured occupational and leisure-time physical activity: cross-sectional associations with sleep problems. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health. vol. 44 (2).
- (2018) The joint association of musculoskeletal pain and domains of physical activity with sleep problems: cross-sectional data from the DPhacto study, Denmark. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health.
- (2018) Physical work exposure, chronic musculoskeletal pain and risk of insomnia: longitudinal data from the HUNT study, Norway. Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
- (2018) Insomnia and risk of chronic musculoskeletal complaints: longitudinal data from the HUNT study, Norway. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 19:128.
- (2018) Test-retest reliability of a handheld dynamometer for measurement of isometric cervical muscle strength. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. vol. 31 (3).
- (2018) Modelling Similarity for Comparing Physical Activity Profiles - A Data-Driven Approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11156 LNAI.
- (2018) Parental chronic widespread pain and the association with chronic widespread pain in adult offspring: Family-linkage data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. European Journal of Pain. vol. 22 (8).
- (2017) Multiple-joint exercises using elastic resistance bands vs. conventional resistance-training equipment: A cross-over study. European Journal of Sport Science. vol. 17 (8).
- (2017) Resistance training in addition to multidisciplinary rehabilitation for patients with chronic pain in the low back: Study protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications. vol. 6.
- (2017) Digital support interventions for the self-management of low back pain: A systematic review. Journal of Medical Internet Research. vol. 19 (5).
- (2017) The influence of multisite pain and psychological comorbidity on prognosis of chronic low back pain: longitudinal data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. BMJ Open. vol. 7 (5).
- (2017) Prevalence and pattern of co-occuring musculoskeletal pain and its association with back-related disability among people with persistent low back pain: protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis. Systematic Reviews. vol. 6 (1).
- (2017) Evolutionary inspired adaptation of exercise plans for increasing solution variety. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 10339 LNAI.
- (2017) Sleep positions and nocturnal body movements based on free-living accelerometer recordings: association with demographics, lifestyle, and insomnia symptoms. Nature and Science of Sleep. vol. 9.
- (2017) Do physical activity and body mass index modify the association between chronic musculoskeletal pain and insomnia? Longitudinal data from the HUNT study, Norway. Journal of Sleep Research. vol. 27.
- (2016) Case Representation and Similarity Assessment in the SELFBACK Decision Support System. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 9969 LNCS.
- (2016) Micro movements of the upper limb in fibromyalgia: The relation to proprioceptive accuracy and visual feedback. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 26.
- (2016) Psychosocial work stress, leisure time physical exercise and the risk of chronic pain in the neck/shoulders: Longitudinal data from the Norwegian HUNT study. International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health. vol. 29 (4).
- (2016) Familial Risk of Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain and the Importance of Physical Activity and Body Mass Index: Prospective Data from the HUNT Study, Norway. PLOS ONE. vol. 11 (4).
- (2015) Aerobic and cardiovascular autonomic adaptations to moderate intensity endurance exercise in patients with fibromyalgia. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 47 (7).
- (2015) Neck/upper back and low back pain in parents and their adult offspring: Family linkage data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. European Journal of Pain. vol. 19 (6).
- (2014) Should physical activity recommendation depend on state of low back pain?. European Journal of Pain. vol. 18 (4).
- (2014) Hours lying down per day and mortality from all-causes and cardiovascular disease: the HUNT Study, Norway. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). vol. 29 (8).
- (2014) Parental chronic pain in relation to chronic pain in their adult offspring: Family-linkage within the HUNT Study, Norway. BMC Public Health. vol. 14 (1).
- (2014) Sleep problems, exercise and obesity and risk of chronic musculoskeletal pain: The Norwegian HUNT study. European Journal of Public Health. vol. 24 (6).
- (2013) Metabolic rate, cardiac response, and aerobic capacity in fibromyalgia: A case-control study. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. vol. 42 (5).
- (2013) Occupational physical activity, mentabolic syndrome andr risk of death from all causes and cardiovascular disease in the HUNT 2 cohort study. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. vol. 70 (2).
- (2013) Physical exercise, body mass index and risk of chronic arm pain: Longitudinal data on an adult population in Norway. European Journal of Pain. vol. 17 (8).
- (2013) Heart rate variability in fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls during non-REM and REM sleep: a case–control study. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. vol. 42 (6).
- (2013) Trapezius activity of fibromyalgia patients is enhanced in stressful situations, but is similar to healthy controls in a quiet naturalistic setting: a case-control study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 14.
- (2012) Upper limb position control in fibromyalgia. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 13 (186).
- (2012) Effect of body mass index and physical exercise on risk of knee and hip osteoarthritis: longitudinal data from the Norwegian HUNT Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. vol. 66 (8).
- (2012) Sleep problems and risk of fibromyalgia: Longitudinal data on an adult female population in Norway. Arthritis and Rheumatism. vol. 64 (1).
- (2012) Sleep problems and risk of fibromyalgia-untenable conclusions: comment on the article by Mork et al Reply. Arthritis and Rheumatism. vol. 64 (5).
- (2012) The effect of warm-up and cool-down exercise on delayed onset muscle soreness in the quadriceps muscle: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Human Kinetics. vol. 35.
- (2012) Catecholamines and heart rate in female fibromyalgia patients. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. vol. 72 (1).
- (2012) Comparison of the cortisol awakening response in women with shoulder and neck pain and women with fibromyalgia. Psychoneuroendocrinology. vol. 37 (2).
- (2012) Effect of core stability exercises on feedforward activation of deep abdominal muscles in chronic low back pain: A randomized controlled trial. Spine. vol. 37 (13).
- (2011) Physical Exercise, Body Mass Index, and Risk of Chronic Pain in the Low Back and Neck/Shoulders: Longitudinal Data From the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 174 (3).
- (2011) The effect of delayed onset of muscle soreness on habitual trapezius activity. European Journal of Pain. vol. 15 (6).
- (2010) The use of EMG biofeedback for learning of selective activation of intra-muscular parts within the serratus anterior muscle: A novel approach for rehabilitation of scapular muscle imbalance. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 20 (2).
- (2010) Association between physical exercise, body mass index, and risk of fibromyalgia: Longitudinal data from the Norwegian Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. Arthritis Care and Research. vol. 62 (5).
- (2010) The stress systems in women with fibromyalgia are dysregulated. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. vol. 17.
- (2010) Fibromyalgia syndrome is associated with hypocortisolism. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. vol. 17 (3).
- (2010) Location and sequence of muscle onset in deep abdominal muscles measured by different modes of ultrasound imaging. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 20 (5).
- (2009) Selective activation of neuromuscular compartments within the human trapezius muscle. Journal of Electromyography & Kinesiology. vol. 19 (5).
- (2009) Back posture and low back muscle activity in female computer workers: A field study. Clinical Biomechanics. vol. 24 (2).
- (2009) The effect of an intensive exercise programme on leg function in chronic stroke patients: a pilot study with one-year follow-up. Clinical Rehabilitation. vol. 23 (9).
- (2007) The influence of body posture, arm movement, and work stress on trapezius activity during computer work. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 101 (4).
- (2006) Low-amplitude trapezius activity in work and leisure and the relation to shoulder and neck pain. Journal of applied physiology. vol. 100.
- (2006) Muscle activity onset in the lumbar multifidus muscle recorded simultaneously by ultrasound imaging and intramuscular electromyography. Clinical Biomechanics. vol. 21 (9).
- (2005) Long-term electromyographic activity in upper trapezius and low back muscles of women with moderate physical activity. Journal of applied physiology. vol. 99.
- (2004) Firing patterns of low-threshold trapezius motor units in feedback-controlled contractions and vocational motor activities. Experimental Brain Research. vol. 158 (4).
- (2004) The association between nocturnal trapezius muscle activity and shoulder and neck pain. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 92.
- (2003) Data mining of motor patterns recorded with wearable technology: Utilizing self-organizing maps to manage large data sets gathered in the field. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine. vol. 22.