Background and activities
Bruheim group focuses on Deep Phenotyping of prokaryotic and eukaryotic model systems using Advanced Cultivation Technology and Mass Spectrometry based Metabolomics, Fluxomics and Lipidomics. Bruheim is scientific leader of the NT faculty Mass Spectrometry lab (http://www.ntnu.edu/nt-mslab). We have developed a suite of target and non-target MS methods (http://www.ntnu.edu/nt-mslab/metabolomics) which we apply on a range of biological model systems and research questions.
TBT4140 Biochemical Engineering, TBT4500 Biotechnology Specialization Project, TBT4505 Biotechnology Specialization Course, TBT4170 Biotechnology, TBT4150 Biochemical Engineering Plant Design, BT8105 Prokaryote Molecular Biology and Synthetic Biology, MEDT8010 Metabolomics - Methods and Applications
NFR Digital Life/ Biotek2021: "AurOmega - Microbial production of omega-3 fatty acids - a model based approach" (Okt17-Mar21)
NFR/ Era-SysApp: “WINESYS – GMO free systems optimization of wine yeast for wine production by massive scale directed evolution” (Jul15 – Jan19)
NFR Digital Life/ Biotek2021: “DigiSal – Towards the Digital Salmon: From a reactive to e pre-emptive research strategy in aquaculture” (Jan16 - Jun20)
NFR Digital Life/ Biotek 2021: “INBioPharm - Integrated Novel Natural Product Discovery and Production Platform for Accelerated Biopharmaceutical Innovation from Microbial Biodiversity” (Jan16 - Jun20)
NTNU Enabling Biotechnology: “Development and Application of Fluxomics tools for the study of cellular phenotypes” (Aug15-Jul19)
NFR/ Era-IB: “Zfuels – A novel bacterial system with integrated micro-bubble distillation for the production of acetaldehyde “ (Mar16-Oct19)
NTNU MedTek: “Novel cancer targets and drugs from high-throughput molecular and systems biology” (2011 – ongoing collaboration with professor Marit Otterlei, IKM, DMF; NTNU)
NTNU IBT PhD: “Inhibition of antibiotic resistance development through targeting bacterial translesion synthesis mechanism with novel peptide drugs” (2017-2020)
NTNU Helse: “Inhibition of bacterial mutagenesis and attacking a new antibacterial target with novel peptides and small molecules” (2017-2020)
IBT NTNU: “Genetic and molecular investigation of Norwegian Farmhouse Ale yeasts” (2013 – ongoing MSc projects)
ad hoc Metabolomics/ Fluxomics/Lipidomics projects (NT-faculty, NTNU, National, International)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Anti-Cancer Potential of Homemade Fresh Garlic Extract Is Related to Increased Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. Nutrients. vol. 10 (4).
- (2018) Improved phosphometabolome profiling applying isotope dilution strategy and capillary ion chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of chromatography. B. vol. 1083.
- (2015) Metabolic markers in blood can separate prostate cancer from benign prostatic hyperplasia. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 113.
- (2015) Untargeted metabolomic analysis of urine samples in the diagnosis of some inherited metabolic disorders. Biomedical Papers of the Faculty of Medicine of Palacky University. vol. 159 (4).
- (2015) Fast filtration sampling protocol for mammalian suspension cells tailored for phosphometabolome profiling by capillary ion chromatography - tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of chromatography. B. vol. 998-999.
- (2015) Fluxome study of Pseudomonas fluorescens reveals major reorganisation of carbon flux through central metabolic pathways in response to inactivation of the anti-sigma factor MucA. BMC Systems Biology. vol. 9:6.
- (2015) Transcriptional regulation of lipid accumulation in phosphorus limited Nannochloropsis oceanica. European journal of phycology. vol. 50.
- (2015) Biological control of Botrytis cinerea and plant growth promotion potential by Penicillim citrinum in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Biocontrol science and technology (Print). vol. 25 (7).
- (2014) Increased anticancer efficacy of intravesical mitomycin C therapy when combined with a PCNA targeting peptide. Translational Oncology. vol. 7 (6).
- (2014) Assessment of capillary anion exchange ion chromatography tandem mass spectrometry for the quantitative profiling of the phosphometabolome and organic acids in biological extracts. Journal of Chromatography A. vol. 1370.
- (2014) Development of hyperspectral imaging as a bio-optical taxonomic tool for pigmented marine organisms. Organisms Diversity & Evolution. vol. 14 (2).
- (2013) Mapping global effects of the anti-sigma factor MucA in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 through genome-scale metabolic modeling. BMC Systems Biology. vol. 7 (19).
- (2013) Stable isotope coded derivatizing reagents as internal standards in metabolite profiling. Journal of Chromatography A. vol. 1296.
- (2013) Investigating alginate production and carbon utilization in Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 using mass spectrometry-based metabolic profiling. Metabolomics. vol. 9 (2).
- (2013) Large scale MALDI-TOF MS based taxa identification to identify novel pigment producers in a marine bacterial culture collection. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology. vol. 103 (3).
- (2012) Characterization of airborne bacteria at an underground subway station. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 78 (6).
- (2012) Pigmentation and Spectral Absorbance Signatures in Deep-Water Corals from the Trondheimsfjord, Norway. Marine Drugs. vol. 10 (6).
- (2012) Targeted metabolomic analysis of plasma samples for the diagnosis of inherited metabolic disorders. Journal of Chromatography A. vol. 1226.
- (2012) Utilization of a deuterated derivatization agent to synthesize internal standards for gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry quantification of silylated metabolites. Journal of Chromatography A. vol. 1247.
- (2012) Ralstonia sp U2 naphthalene dioxygenase and Comamonas sp JS765 nitrobenzene dioxygenase show differences in activity towards methylated naphthalenes. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering. vol. 113 (2).