Background and activities
Bruheim group focuses on Deep Phenotyping of prokaryotic and eukaryotic model systems using Advanced Cultivation Technology and Mass Spectrometry based Metabolomics, Fluxomics and Lipidomics (http://www.ntnu.edu/biotech/research/microbial-biotechnology/bruheim-lab). Bruheim is scientific leader of the NT faculty Mass Spectrometry lab (http://www.ntnu.edu/nt-mslab). We have developed a suite of target and non-target MS methods (http://www.ntnu.edu/nt-mslab/metabolomics) which we apply on a range of biological model systems and research questions.
Bruheim is Deputy Head of Department with responsibilities in Education and is the leader of the 2-years and 5-years study programs in Biotechnology (MSBIOTECH and MBIOT5). He teaches in TBT4140 Biochemical Engineering, TBT4500 Biotechnology Specialization Project, TBT4110 Microbiology, BT3220 Advanced Biotechnology, TKP4170/71 Process Designs, Projects Biochemical Engineering Plant Design, BT8105 Prokaryote Molecular Biology and Synthetic Biology, MEDT8010 Metabolomics - Methods and Applications
Trond Mohn Stiftelse: “Targeting AMR by inhibition of bacterial stress responses” (2019-2022)
NTNU Biotechnology programme: “Chemically defined cell culture media” (2019-2021)
NFR Digital Life/ Biotek2021: “DigiSal – Towards the Digital Salmon: From a reactive to a pre-emptive research strategy in aquaculture” (2016 - 2020)
NFR Digital Life/ Biotek2021: “INBioPharm - Integrated Novel Natural Product Discovery and Production Platform for Accelerated Biopharmaceutical Innovation from Microbial Biodiversity” (2016 - 2020)
NFR Digital Life/ Biotek2011:” AurOmega - Microbial production of omega-3 fatty acids - a model based approach (2017-2021)
NTNU Helse: “Inhibition of bacterial mutagenesis and attacking a new antibacterial target with novel peptides and small molecules” (2018-2021)
NTNU IBT PhD: “Inhibition of antibiotic resistance development through targeting bacterial translesion synthesis mechanism with novel peptide drugs” (2017-2021)
8-10 ad hoc Metabolomics/ Fluxomics Lipidomics projects (NT-faculty, NTNU, National, International)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Phosphatase of Regenerating Liver-3 Regulates Cancer Cell Metabolism in Multiple Myeloma. The FASEB Journal.
- (2021) Combined Metabolome and Lipidome analyses for in-depth characterization of lipid accumulation in the DHA producing Aurantiochytrium sp. T66. Metabolites. vol. 11 (3).
- (2021) High throughput semi-quantitative UHPSFC-MS/MS lipid profiling and lipid class determination. Journal of Chromatographic Science. vol. 59 (7).
- (2021) Ethanologenic bacterium Zymomonas mobilis divides asymmetrically and exhibits heterogeneity in DNA content. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 87.
- (2021) Diet and Life Stage-Associated Lipidome Remodeling in Atlantic Salmon. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 69 (12).
- (2021) Adaptation of central metabolite pools to variations in growth rate and cultivation conditions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbial Cell Factories.
- (2021) Plasma 3-hydroxyisobutyrate (3-HIB) and methylmalonic acid (MMA) are markers of hepatic mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation in male Wistar rats. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids. vol. 1866 (4).
- (2021) Ethanologenesis and respiration in a pyruvate decarboxylase-deficient Zymomonas mobilis. BMC Research Notes. vol. 14.
- (2021) Nucleoside Analogues Are Potent Inducers of Pol V-mediated Mutagenesis. Biomolecules. vol. 11 (6).
- (2020) ETNK1 mutations induce a mutator phenotype that can be reverted with phosphoethanolamine. Nature Communications. vol. 11.
- (2020) An assessment of serial co-cultivation approach for generating novel Zymomonas mobilis strains. BMC Research Notes. vol. 13.
- (2020) Increased salt tolerance in Zymomonas mobilis strain generated by adaptative evolution. Microbial Cell Factories. vol. 19 (1).
- (2020) Metabolic Profiling of Glucose-Fed Metabolically Active Resting Zymomonas mobilis Strains. Metabolites. vol. 10 (81).
- (2020) Zwitterionic HILIC tandem mass spectrometry with isotope dilution for rapid, sensitive and robust quantification of pyridine nucleotides in biological extracts. Journal of chromatography. B. vol. 1144.
- (2020) Absolute Quantification of the Central Carbon Metabolome in Eight Commonly Applied Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Model Systems. Metabolites. vol. 10 (74).
- (2019) Improvement of acetaldehyde production in Zymomonas mobilis by engineering of its aerobic metabolism. Frontiers in Microbiology. vol. 10.
- (2019) Fluopsin C for treating multidrug-resistant infections: In vitro activity aganist clinically important strains and in vivo efficacy against carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae. Frontiers in Microbiology. vol. 10.
- (2019) Demyelinating polyneuropathy in goats lacking prion protein. The FASEB Journal. vol. 34 (2).
- (2019) Unexpected Heterocyclization of Electrophilic Alkenes by Tetranitromethane in the Presence of Triethylamine. Synthesis of 5-Nitroisoxazoles. Journal of Organic Chemistry. vol. 84 (6).
- (2019) Gene expression studies and targeted metabolomics reveal disturbed serine, methionine, and tyrosine metabolism in early hypertensive nephrosclerosis. Kidney International Reports. vol. 4 (2).