Background and activities
- Master's Degree (Siv.ing.) in 1989 from Division of Computer Systems and Telematics, NTH (now NTNU) while working as a Teaching assistant (1988-1989). Thesis title: “Transient dependability properties in distributed systems”.
- PhD degree (Dr.ing.) in 1998 from Department of Telematics, NTNU while working as Research Scholar (1994-1998). Thesis title:"Efficient simulation of network performance by importance sampling".
- Professor at Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (IIK), NTNU (2017-current)
- Head of Networking Research Group @ IIK (2019-current)
- Head of Department, Department of Telematics, NTNU (2009-2013)
- Professor at Department of Telematics (ITEM), NTNU (2010-2017)
- Head of NTNU QUAM-lab (2015-2019)
- Research Scientist (1989-1999) and Senior Research Scientist from 1999 at SINTEF Telecom and Informatics
- Associate Professor at Department of Telematics, NTNU, in adjunct position (20%) in 1999-2003, reduced position (50%) in 2003-2006), and full time position since 2006. Coordinator of Network Research area 2006-2009.
- Research Scientist (1999-2001) and Senior Scientist (2001-2009) at Telenor Research and Development
- Visiting researcher (March, 2007) hosted by Dr. Sandmann at University of Bamberg, Germany
- Visiting researcher
- Visiting professor University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Aug 2016), hosted by Ravishankar K. Iyer
- Visiting professor University of Zagreb FER (Apr 2015, Aug 2016), hosted by Ass.Prof. Lea Skorin-Kapov.
- Visiting professor Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Sept 2016), hosted by Ass.Prof. Gergely Biczók
- Visiting professor TU München (Oct - Dec 2016), hosted by Prof. Wolfgang Kellerer
- Visiting professor Ghent University (Jan - Jun 2016), hosted by Prof. Piet Demeester
- TTM4110 Dependability and Performance with Discrete Event Simulation (textbook [EHHP16]) [subject responsible]
- TTM4185: Security and Robustness in ICT system
[EHHP16] Peder J. Emstad, Poul E. Heegaard, Bjarne E. Helvik, Laurent Paquereau. Dependability and performance with discrete event simulation. : Tapir akademiske forlag 2016. 278 s. NTNU
- QoS evaluation and management in communication systems and services
- rare event simulation techniques
- survivability quantification
- monitoring, routing and management in dynamic networks
- distributed, autonomous and adaptive management and routing
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Modeling of Aggregated IoT Traffic and its Application to an IoT Cloud. Proceedings of the IEEE.
- (2018) An Experimental Platform for QoE Studies of WebRTC-based Multi-Party Video Communication. International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA).
- (2018) Dependability of the NFV Orchestrator: State of the Art and Research Challenges. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials. vol. 20 (4).
- (2018) A new QoE fairness index for QoE management. Quality and User Experience.
- (2018) QoE Analysis of the Setup of Different Internet Services for FIFO Server Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10740 LNCS.
- (2018) Evaluating Local Disaster Recovery Strategies. Performance Evaluation Review. vol. 46 (2).
- (2018) Assessing the Maturity of SDN Controllers with Software Reliability Growth Models. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management. vol. 15 (3).
- (2018) Non-Markovian Survivability Assessment Model for Infrastructure Wireless Networks. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems. vol. 2018-August.
- (2017) Manufactured by software: SDN-enabled multi-operator composite services with the 5G Exchange. IEEE Communications Magazine. vol. 55 (4).
- (2017) Simulation of the response time distribution of fault-tolerant multi-tier cloud services. Journal of Simulation. vol. 11 (4).
- (2017) Definition of QoE Fairness in Shared Systems. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 21 (1).
- (2017) Including Failure Correlation in Availability Modeling of a Software-Defined Backbone Network. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management. vol. 14 (4).
- (2017) Survivability analysis of a two-tier infrastructure-based wireless network. Computer Networks. vol. 128.
- (2016) The future of information security incident management training: A case study of electrical power companies. Computers & security. vol. 61.
- (2016) QoE Beyond the MOS: An In-Depth Look at QoE via Better Metrics and their Relation to MOS. Quality and User Experience.
- (2016) Deep Semantics Inspection over Big Network Data at Wire Speed. IEEE Network. vol. 30 (1).
- (2015) Software Performance Evaluation Utilizing UML Specification and SRN Model and Their Formal Representation. Journal of Software. vol. 10 (5).
- (2015) How to use mobile communication in critical infrastructures: A dependability analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 9338.
- (2014) Quantifying Influence of Strategies and Network Properties in Repairing Simultaneous Failures in Smart Grid. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2013) Detecting Period and Burst Durations in Video Streaming by means of Active Probing. International Journal of Computer and Communication Engineering. vol. 2 (4).