Background and activities
Biology (Cell biology, genetics, plant physiology, biotechnology)
Teaching and guidance
Science 1, Science 2, Kompetanse for kvalitet (KFK-cources)
Mainly grades 5-10
Master science education
European Union funded projects (Norwegian partner; Sør-Trøndelag University College/NTNU):
PRIMAS - Promoting inquiry in mathematics and science education across Europe, 2010-2013. www.primas-project.eu
MaSciL - Mathematics and Science for life, 2013-2016 (HiST is leading WP9 “Teacher communication”). www.mascil-project.eu
FaSMed – Improving progress for lower achievers through Formative Assessment in Science and Mathematics Education, 2014-2016 (HiST is leading WP5 “Cross country case study analysis”). http://fasmed.hist.no/
Intercultural learning in mathematics and science initial teacher education
Literacy og faglighet i skole og arbeidsliv (HiST/NTNU), 2016 - 2023. One of five NTNU HiST funded Research and development areas of commitment/priority areas. Subproject Scientific literacy.
Forskerspirer med leselyst og skrivekløe (Sør-Trøndelag University College), 2009 - 2013. In collaboration with the University of Oslo, The Norwegian Centre for Science Education (Forskerføtter og leserøtter, Utdanning 2020-project). FoU local funds (HiST).
Utbruddsetterforskning. Evaluation of an education module at HiST, AFT, 2011-2012. In collaboration with Sør-Trøndelag University College, The Faculty of Technology, Department of Food Technology. This project won HiSTs’ “Læringsmiljø- og studiekvalitetspris» in 2014.
Biologi for grunnskolelærere, 2010-2011. Textbook project initiated by Gyldendal Akademisk, funded by The Norwegian Non-fiction Writers And Translators Association (NFF).
Somatic embryogenesis in Cyclamen persicum. Biological investigations and educational aspects of cloning, 1999 – 2008. NFR-funded project (dr.scient-project).
Boards and committees
- Member of the board in NNN – Nasjonalt nettverk for naturfagutdanning, Norway, 2009-present
- Coordinator of the science department, HiST, ALT. August 2013 – present.
- Coordinator / leader of the team working with science teacher education at HiST, autumn 2013.
- A number of committee works in connection with hiring and promotion applications.
- Development of and teaching within a master degree in science education at HiST/NTNU, 2004-13.
- Leader of Mascil WP9 since January 2015
- Coordinator of the team working with a NOKUT-application for accreditation of a “Masters degree in science education”, HiST, FLT, 2015
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Teaching outbreak investigation to undergraduate Food technologists. British Food Journal. vol. 117 (2).
- (2014) Lesing av naturfagtekster i småskolen - en kasusstudie knyttet til leselekser. Norsklæreren.
- (2012) Working with mathematics and science teachers on inquirybased learning (IBL) approaches : teacher beliefs. Acta Didactica Norge - tidsskrift for fagdidaktisk forsknings- og utviklingsarbeid i Norge. vol. 6 (1).
- (2009) Learning about cloning: deveoping student knowledge and interest through an interactive, context-based approach. NorDiNa : Nordic Studies in Science Education. vol. 5 (02.sep).
- (2008) Influence of potential growth factors on the production of proembryogenic masses of Cyclamen persicum Mill. in bioreactors. Scientia Horticulturae. vol. 118 (1).
- (2008) Embryo-specific Proteins in Cyclamen persicum Analyzed with 2-D DIGE. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation. vol. 27 (4).
- (2008) Embryo-specific proteins in Cyclamen persicum analyzed with 2-D DIGE. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation. vol. 27 (4).
- (2008) Influence of potential growth factors on the production of proembryogenic masses of Cyclamen persicum Mill. in bioreactors. Scientia Horticulturae. vol. 118.
- (2005) Bioreactor design for propagation of somatic embryos. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. vol. 81 (3).
- (2003) Liquid Culture Systems for Plant Propagation. ?. vol. 625.
- (2012) Biologi for lærere: Naturfag i grunnskolelærerutdanningen 5.-10. trinn. Gyldendal Akademisk. 2012. ISBN 978-82-05-39689-0.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Enhancing Teachers’ Professional Knowledge in Connecting the World of Work to Inquiry Based Science Teaching: Case of Norway. Conference proceedings. New perspectives in science education.
- (2016) Implementing IBL and WoW in primary science in Norway. Science Education Research: Engaging learners for a sustainable future..
- (2016) Brine. Mathematics and Science in Life: Inquiry Learning and the World of Work.
- (2013) Keep it cold!. Inquiry-based learning in maths and science classes. What it is and how it works - examples - experiences.
- (2013) Animal footprint. Inquiry-based learning in maths and science classes. What it is and how it works - examples - experiences.
- (2012) Working with teachers on inquiry based learning (IBL) and mathematics and science tasks. FoU i Praksis 2011. Rapport fra konferanse om praksisrettet FoU i lærerutdanning. Trondheim, 26. og 27. april 2011.
- (2005) Bioreactor design for propagation of somatic embryos. Liquid Culture Systems for in vitro Plant Propagation, Eds AK Hvoslef-Eide & W Preil.