Background and activities
Dr. Holmestad (born in 1967) is professor at Dept. of Physics NTNU (since 99). Degrees: Dr. ing. (PhD) in materials physics, NTH, 1994, Siv. ing (MSc) in technical physics, NTH, 1991. Holmestad's present research interests are focussed on materials physics; transmission electron diffraction and microscopy (TEM), materials microstructure and the relation to macroscopic properties. Ongoing projects are on aluminium alloys, solar cell materials, electron diffraction and new functional materials. She has educated 14 PhD students and 63 MSc students, in addition to co-supervision of 8 PhD students. Holmestad has had several sabbaticals abroad, latest 6 months in 2005 and 2012, both at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA. Web of Science (Jan 2019): Cited documents = 203, Citations ~2700, h index = 28.
She has initiated and been project leader for several externally funded projects over the past fifteen years, funded mainly by the Norwegian Research Council and Hydro Aluminium. The main research projects she have been involved in are Quantitative convergent beam electron diffraction (2000-03), the SUP Micro- and nanostructural materials development (2001-06), the NorLight project Heat treatment fundamentals (2001-07), the Industry initiated project Nucleation control for optimised properties (2007-12), the FRINAT project Fundamental investigations of clustering (2007-11), the Japanese-Norwegian Al-Mg-Si precipitation project (2009-14 and 2019-2022), the FRINATEK project Fundamental investigations of precipitation in the solid state with focus on Al-based alloys (2013-17), the KPN project Fundamentals of intergranualr corrosion -FICAL (2017-2021) and last the KPN project Solute cluster manipulation for optimized properties in Al-Mg-Si based Al alloys (SumAl)(2019-2024). In addition she has been leader of TEM Gemini Centre (SINTEF, NTNU) 2006, 2008-2013, and leader for a Nordic network within TEM in Nordforsk, NorTEMnet, 2010-2014. She was the project leader of NORTEM, Norwegian Centre of transmission electron microscopy, 2010-2013, 2017- >) a large scale infrastructure project in TEM, from SINTEF, UiO and NTNU (total project 115 MNOK, 2011-20). Since 2015 she is involved in the SFI project CASA, Centre of advanced structural analysis.
- Electron microscopy and spectroscopy (TEM, HREM, EDS, EELS, STEM)
- Electron diffraction; Quantitative Convergent Beam electron Diffraction (CBED), Electron crystallography
- Microstructure characterization of inorganic materials, alloys and intermetallics, precipitation in aluminium alloys, functional oxides, solar cell materials, relationships between micro/nano-structure and properties of materials, bonding
- Modelling and simulations in materials physics; Solid state calculations
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Characterisation of structural similarities of precipitates in Mg–Zn and Al–Zn–Mg alloys systems. Philosophical Magazine.
- (2019) An analytical framework for modelling intermetallic compound (IMC) formation and optimising bond strength in aluminium‐steel welds. Material Design & Processing Communications.
- (2019) Crystallographic relationships of T-/S-phase aggregates in an Al–Cu–Mg–Ag alloy. Acta Materialia. vol. 166.
- (2019) Muon Spin Relaxation Study of Solute–Vacancy Interactions During Natural Aging of Al-Mg-Si-Cu Alloys. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. vol. 50.
- (2018) Precipitates in aluminium alloys. Advances in Physics: X. vol. 3 (1).
- (2018) Lattice rotations in precipitate free zones in an Al-Mg-Si alloy. Materials Characterization. vol. 144.
- (2018) Effect of copper addition on the cluster formation behavior of Al-Mg-Si, Al-Zn-Mg, and Al-Mg-Ge in the natural aging. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. vol. 49 (11).
- (2018) In situ DSC investigation into the kinetics and microstructure of dispersoid formation in Al-Mn-Fe-Si(-Mg) alloys. Materials & design. vol. 146.
- (2018) The correlation between intergranular corrosion resistance and copper content in the precipitate microstructure in an AA6005A alloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions. A. vol. 49 (10).
- (2018) Orientation relationships of phase transformation in α-Al12Mn3Si pseudomorphs after plate-like Al6Mn precipitate in an AA3004 Al-Mn based alloy. Materials Characterization. vol. 136.
- (2018) Atomic structures of precipitates in Al–Mg–Si alloys with small additions of other elements. Advanced Engineering Materials. vol. 20:1800125 (7).
- (2018) The evolution of precipitate crystal structures in an Al-Mg-Si(-Cu) alloy studied by a combined HAADF-STEM and SPED approach. Materials Characterization. vol. 142.
- (2018) In-situ studies of multicrystalline silicon nucleation and growth on alpha- and beta-Si3N4 coated substrates. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 482.
- (2018) Orientation relationship between b-Si3N4 and Si in multicrystalline silicon ingots for PV applications. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 495.
- (2017) Directionality and column arrangement principles of precipitates in Al-Mg-Si-(Cu) and Al-Mg-Cu linked to line defect in Al. Materials Science Forum. vol. 877.
- (2017) Thermal stability of the lightweight 2099 Al-Cu-Li alloy: Tensile tests and microstructural investigations after overaging. Materials & design. vol. 119.
- (2017) Effects of overaging on microstructure and tensile properties of the 2055 Al-Cu-Li-Ag alloy. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 707.
- (2017) Modeling over-ageing in Al-Mg-Si alloys by a multi-phase CALPHAD-coupled Kampmann-Wagner Numerical model. Acta Materialia. vol. 122.
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2017) Optimising multi-frame ADF-STEM for high-precision atomic-resolution strain mapping. Ultramicroscopy. vol. 179.