Background and activities
Dr. Holmestad (born in 1967) is professor at Dept. of Physics NTNU (since 99). She is also an advisor for SINTEF Materials and Chemistry. Degrees: Dr. ing. (PhD) in materials physics, NTH, 1994, Siv. ing (MSc) in technical physics, NTH, 1991. Holmestad's present research interests are focussed on materials physics; transmission electron diffraction and microscopy (TEM), materials microstructure and the relation to macroscopic properties. Ongoing projects are on aluminium alloys, solar cell materials, electron diffraction and new functional materials. She has educated 13 PhD students and 52 MSc students, in addition to co-supervision of 6 PhD students. Holmestad has had several sabbaticals abroad, latest 6 months in 2005 and 2012, both at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA. Web of Science (January 2017): Cited documents = 177, Citations = 1800, h index = 23.
She has initiated and been project leader for several externally funded projects over the past fifteen years, funded mainly by the Norwegian Research Council and Hydro Aluminium. The main research projects she have been involved in are Quantitative convergent beam electron diffraction (2000-03), the SUP Micro- and nanostructural materials development (2001-06), the NorLight project Heat treatment fundamentals (2001-07), the Industry initiated project Nucleation control for optimised properties (2007-12), the FRINAT project Fundamental investigations of clustering (2007-11), the Japanese-Norwegian Al-Mg-Si precipitation project (2009-14) and the FRINATEK project Fundamental investigations of precipitation in the solid state with focus on Al-based alloys (2013-17). In addition she has been leader of TEM Gemini Centre (SINTEF, NTNU) 2006, 2008-2013, and leader for a Nordic network within TEM in Nordforsk, NorTEMnet, 2010-2014. She was the project leader of NORTEM, Norwegian Centre of transmission electron microscopy, 2010-2013, a large scale infrastructure project in TEM, from SINTEF, UiO and NTNU (total project 115 MNOK, 2011-20). Since 2015 she is involved in the SFI project CASA, Centre of advanced structural analysis.
- Electron microscopy and spectroscopy (TEM, HREM, EDS, EELS, STEM)
- Electron diffraction; Quantitative Convergent Beam electron Diffraction (CBED), Electron crystallography
- Microstructure characterization of inorganic materials, alloys and intermetallics, precipitation in aluminium alloys, functional oxides, solar cell materials, relationships between micro/nano-structure and properties of materials, bonding
- Modelling and simulations in materials physics; Solid state calculations
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Directionality and column arrangement principles of precipitates in Al-Mg-Si-(Cu) and Al-Mg-Cu linked to line defect in Al. Materials Science Forum. vol. 877.
- (2017) Thermal stability of the lightweight 2099 Al-Cu-Li alloy: Tensile tests and microstructural investigations after overaging. Materials & design. vol. 119.
- (2017) Modeling over-ageing in Al-Mg-Si alloys by a multi-phase CALPHAD-coupled Kampmann-Wagner Numerical model. Acta Materialia. vol. 122.
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2017) Optimising multi-frame ADF-STEM for high-precision atomic-resolution strain mapping. Ultramicroscopy. vol. 179.
- (2017) Extra electron diffraction spots caused by fine precipitates formed at the early stage of aging in Al-Mg-X (X=Si, Ge, Zn)-Cu alloys. Materials transactions. vol. 58 (2).
- (2017) Atomistic details of precipitates in lean Al–Mg–Si alloys with trace additions of Ag and Ge studied by HAADF-STEM and DFT. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 97 (11).
- (2017) Atomap: a new software tool for the automated analysis of atomic resolution images using two-dimensional Gaussian fitting. Advanced Structural and Chemical Imaging.
- (2017) Bandgap measurement of high refractive index materials by off-axis EELS. Ultramicroscopy. vol. 182.
- (2017) Methodology to Improve Strain Measurement in III–V Semiconductors Materials. Microscopy and Microanalysis. vol. 23 (S1).
- (2017) Strategy for reliable strain measurement in InAs/GaAs materials from high-resolution Z-contrast STEM images. Journal of Physics, Conference Series.
- (2017) Quantitative strain analysis of InAs/GaAs quantum dot materials. Scientific Reports. vol. 7.
- (2017) Atomic-resolution chemical mapping of ordered precipitates in Al alloys using energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Micron. vol. 96.
- (2016) White light emitting silicon nano-crystals-polymeric hybrid films prepared by single batch solution based method. Thin Solid Films. vol. 603.
- (2016) Strengthening mechanisms in ultrafine grained Al-Mg-Si alloy processed by hydrostatic extrusion – Influence of ageing temperature. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 669.
- (2016) Thermal migration of alloying agents in aluminium. Materials Research Express. vol. 3 (11).
- (2016) Concurrent magnetic and structural reconstructions at the interface of (111)-oriented L a0.7 S r0.3Mn O3/LaFe O3. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 94 (20).
- (2016) Effect of polar (111)-oriented SrTiO3 on initial perovskite growth. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 16.
- (2016) Precipitation in an Al-Mg-Cu alloy and the effect of a low amount of Ag. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 658.
- (2016) The effects and behaviour of Li and Cu alloying agents in lean Al-Mg-Si alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. vol. 699.