Background and activities
Dr. Holmestad (born in 1967) is professor at Dept. of Physics NTNU (since 99). Degrees: Dr. ing. (PhD) in materials physics, NTH, 1994, Siv. ing (MSc) in technical physics, NTH, 1991. Holmestad's present research interests are focussed on materials physics; transmission electron diffraction and microscopy (TEM), materials microstructure and the relation to macroscopic properties. Ongoing projects are on aluminium alloys, solar cell materials, electron diffraction and new functional materials. She has educated 16 PhD students and 67 MSc students, in addition to co-supervision of 8 PhD students. Holmestad has had several sabbaticals abroad - 6 months in 2005 and 2012, both at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA and 2 months at Monash University, Melbourne, Australia in 2019. Web of Science (April 2020): Cited documents = 220, Citations ~3300, h index = 30.
She has initiated and been project leader for several externally funded projects over the past fifteen years, funded mainly by the Norwegian Research Council and Hydro Aluminium. The main research projects she have been involved in are Quantitative convergent beam electron diffraction (2000-03), the SUP Micro- and nanostructural materials development (2001-06), the NorLight project Heat treatment fundamentals (2001-07), the Industry initiated project Nucleation control for optimised properties (2007-12), the FRINAT project Fundamental investigations of clustering (2007-11), the Japanese-Norwegian Al-Mg-Si precipitation project (2009-14 and 2019-2022), the FRINATEK project Fundamental investigations of precipitation in the solid state with focus on Al-based alloys (2013-17), the KPN project Fundamentals of intergranualr corrosion -FICAL (2017-2021) and last the KPN project Solute cluster manipulation for optimized properties in Al-Mg-Si based Al alloys (SumAl)(2019-2024). In addition she has been leader of TEM Gemini Centre (SINTEF, NTNU) 2006, 2008-2013, and leader for a Nordic network within TEM in Nordforsk, NorTEMnet, 2010-2014. She was the project leader of NORTEM, Norwegian Centre of transmission electron microscopy, 2010-2013, 2017- >) a large scale infrastructure project in TEM, from SINTEF, UiO and NTNU (total project 115 MNOK, 2011-20). Since 2015 she is involved in the SFI project CASA, Centre of advanced structural analysis.
This is a link to the Norwegian Research Councils project bank
- Electron microscopy and spectroscopy (TEM, HREM, EDS, EELS, STEM)
- Electron diffraction; Quantitative Convergent Beam electron Diffraction (CBED), Electron crystallography
- Microstructure characterization of inorganic materials, alloys and intermetallics, precipitation in aluminium alloys, functional oxides, solar cell materials, relationships between micro/nano-structure and properties of materials, bonding
- Modelling and simulations in materials physics; Solid state calculations
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Detailed investigation of the shearing mechanism of β" precipitates in Al-Mg-Si alloys. MATEC Web of Conferences. vol. 326.
- (2020) Multislice image simulations of sheared needle‐like precipitates in an Al‐Mg‐Si alloy. Journal of Microscopy. vol. 00 (00).
- (2020) Fully resolved strain field of the β’’ precipitate calculated by density functional theory. Computational Materials Science. vol. 187.
- (2020) First principle calculations of pressure dependent yielding in solute strengthened aluminium alloys. Computational Materials Science. vol. 184.
- (2020) Unique hybrid precipitate structures forming in an Al–Cu–Mg–Si alloy. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. vol. 826.
- (2020) Comparing intergranular corrosion in Al‐Mg‐Si‐Cu alloys with and without α‐Al(Fe,Mn,Cu)Si particles. Materials and corrosion - Werkstoffe und Korrosion.
- (2020) Stress Corrosion Cracking in an Extruded Cu-Free Al-Zn-Mg Alloy. Metals. vol. 10 (9).
- (2020) Grain boundary structures and their correlation with intergranular corrosion in an extruded Al-Mg-Si-Cu alloy. Materials Characterization. vol. 170.
- (2020) The effect of low Cu additions on precipitate crystal structures in overaged Al-Mg-Si(-Cu) alloys. Materials Characterization. vol. 160.
- (2019) Characterisation of structural similarities of precipitates in Mg–Zn and Al–Zn–Mg alloys systems. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 99 (21).
- (2019) An unreported precipitate orientation relationship in Al-Zn-Mg based alloys. Materials Characterization. vol. 158:109958.
- (2019) Nanocrystal segmentation in scanning precession electron diffraction data. Journal of Microscopy.
- (2019) Nano-scale characterisation of sheared β” precipitates in a deformed Al-Mg-Si alloy. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) Controlling Phase Purity and Texture of K0.5Na0.5NbO3 Thin Films by Aqueous Chemical Solution Deposition. Materials. vol. 12 (13).
- (2019) Comparative analysis of the microstructure and mechanical properties of an Al-Cu-Mg-Ag alloy peak-aged at relatively low and high temperatures. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 672 (1).
- (2019) Precipitation behavior in an Al-Cu-Mg-Si alloy during ageing. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 767.
- (2019) An analytical framework for modelling intermetallic compound (IMC) formation and optimising bond strength in aluminium‐steel welds. Material Design & Processing Communications. vol. 1 (3).
- (2019) Precipitation in an extruded AA7003 aluminium alloy: Observations of 6xxx-type hardening phases. Materials & design. vol. 186.
- (2019) Effect of copper addition on precipitation behavior near grain boundary in Al-Zn-Mg alloy. Materials transactions. vol. 60 (8).
- (2019) The effect of elastic strain and small plastic deformation on tensile strength of a lean Al-Mg-Si alloy. Metals. vol. 9 (12).