Background and activities
I am Professor of Gender Studies and French Literature at the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies of Culture and the Department of Language and Literature. I hold an MA (Glasgow University, 1985) in French and Arabic, and worked as a translator and researcher at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, UK before completing my PhD (Edinburgh University, 2000) in feminist Francophone literature.
My areas of research include migration and gender, migration and education, domestic labour, new media and Middle East war, Islamic fundamentalisms, intercultural cinema and 20th century francophone literature.
I am currently leader of the Norwegian Research Council FINNUT (Research and Innovation in the Educational Sector) project (2017-2020), Language, Integration, Media, https://www.ntnu.no/isl/lim, which is researching and developing innovative and engaging learning opportunities for Norwegian and migrant secondary school age students, with the aim of improving academic and integration outcomes.
I led a Norwegian Research Council VAM (Welfare, Working Life and Migration) funded project (2011-2016) Buying and Selling (gender) Equality: Feminized Migration and Gender Equality in Contemporary Norway. The project addressed paid domestic labour and au paring in Norway, looking at the concurrence between increasing gender equality ambitions and dependence on feminized migration. The project’s co-edited anthology Paid Migrant Domestic Labour in a Changing Europe: Questions of Gender Equality and Citizenship (Palgrave 2016) analyses the changing face of work, gender equality and citizenship in Europe. Focusing on the discourses, social relations and political processes that surround migrant domestic labour in Europe, it rethinks the vital relationship between this kind of employment, the formal and informal citizenship of migrant workers, and the cultural and political value of gender equality.
I am also interested in paid domestic labour and au pairing in other national contexts, and have recently published on medializations of ‘granny’ au pairing services in France. I am currently researching medializations of migrant domestic work in documentaries on migrant domestic labour in Lebanon.
I have co-edited two anthologies on religious fundamentalisms: Fundamentalism, Globalism and the Public Sphere and Fundamentalism and Communication: Culture, Media and the Public Sphere (both IB Tauris 2011) and have published a monograph on Assia Djebar’s feminist writing practice Assia Djebar: In dialogue with feminisms (Rodopi 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) The Emotional Politics of Representations of Migrant Domestic Work in Lebanon. Middle East Critique. vol. 28 (4).
- (2016) “Granny” au pairs in online French news media: a crueller shade of optimism?. Feminist Media Studies. vol. 16 (6).
- (2014) Speaking images, race-less words: Play and the absence of race in contemporary Scandinavia. Journal of Scandinavian Cinema. vol. 4 (1).
- (2013) Migrants of the New Norway: Sara Johnsen’s Upperdog. Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning. vol. 37 (1).
- (2011) Sharing Across the Battle Lines? Israeli and Lebanese Blogs in the 2006 Lebanon War. International Journal of Communication. vol. 5.
- (2009) Personal and/or Universal? Hélène Cixous's Challenge to generic Borders. The European Legacy. vol. 14 (1).
- (2007) Zadie Smith - Islam's White Teeth. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift. vol. 23 (2).
- (2006) Nina Bouarouis Garcon Manqué - Väl urkopplad: Varför globaliseringsteorin inte junde redogöra för Nina?. Finsk Tidskrift (FT). vol. 1.
- (2006) Garcon Manqué de Nina Bouroui: Regards linguistiques et thématiques sur une ambiguïté identitaire. Lianes. vol. 1.
- (2001) Sistre and the Semiotic: Reinscribing Desire into Language. Studien zur Literatur und Geschichte des Maghreb.
- (1998) Kristeva meets l'Amour, "la fantasia". International Journal of Francophone Studies. vol. 1 (2).
- (2016) Paid Migrant Domestic Labour in a Changing Europe. Questions of Gender Equality and Citizenship. Palgrave Macmillan. 2016. ISBN 978-1-137-51741-8.
- (2012) Skrift som livstegn: Festskrift til Sissel Lie. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2012. ISBN 978-82-321-0030-9.
- (2011) Fundamentalism in the Modern World. Volume 1. I.B. Tauris. 2011. ISBN 978-1-84885-330-0.
- (2011) Fundamentalism in the Modern World. Volume 2. I.B. Tauris. 2011. ISBN 978-1-84885-331-7.
- (2006) Assia Djebar: In Dialogue with Feminisms. Rodopi. 2006. ISBN 90-420-1739-2.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Problematisk integrering i en norsk småby: fortellinger om konflikt og samfunnsbygging. Fortellinger om integrering i norske lokalsamfunn.
- (2019) Starry starry night. Fantasies of homogeneity in documentary films about Kvens and Norwegian-Pakistanis. Undoing Homogeneity in the Nordic Region: Migration, Difference and the Politics of Solidarity..
- (2016) Paid Migrant Domestic Labour, Gender Equality, and Citizenship in a Changing Europe: An Introduction. Paid Migrant Domestic Labour in a Changing Europe. Questions of Gender Equality and Citizenship.
- (2016) Preface. Paid Migrant Domestic Labour in a Changing Europe. Questions of Gender Equality and Citizenship.