Background and activities
I am a Ph.D. Candidate in the Industrial Ecology Programme at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering at NTNU, supervised by Edgar Hertwich and co-supervised by Daniel Beat Muller and Niko Heeren.
My research focuses on quantifying the energy consumption of the global residential building stock via building energy simulations. In this manner, I am currently working on the development of representative residential building archetypes for different regions of the world. My Ph.D. is a part of the RECC project: Resource Efficiency and Climate Change that concentrates on combining industrial ecology methods such as life-cycle assessment (LCA), material dynamics based on cohort-modeling (DMFA), input-output analysis (IOA), engineering tools such as building energy models, and energy scenario modeling methods.
I have a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the Izmir University of Economics (Izmir, Turkey) and a Master of Architecture degree from the Middle East Technical University (Ankara, Turkey). Before beginning my Ph.D. I was working as a research assistant in four different projects focusing on building performance assessment, parametric design, building performance simulation, energy efficiency, building information modeling (BIM), heritage building information modeling (HBIM), architectural visualization, UX design, and virtual and mixed reality environments for design.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) An immersive performative architectural design tool with daylighting simulations: a building information modeling-based approach. Engineering Construction and Architectural Management. vol. 28 (4).
- (2020) Climate Change Impact on Multi-Objective Optimization: A Case Study on Educational Buildings. Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (SimAUD) 2020 . Austrian Institute of Technology; Vienna. 2020-05-25 - 2020-05-27.
- (2020) An Exploratory Multi-objective Retrofit Decision-making Process. International Symposium of Architecture, Technology and Innovation (ATI) . Yasar University; Izmir. 2020-08-27 - 2020-08-29.
- (2020) Image-based construction of building energy models using computer vision. Automation in Construction. vol. 116.
- (2020) Energy Demand Prediction For Residential Buildings at Different Climate Conditions Based on Data-Driven Models. BAUSIM 2020 . TU Graz; Graz. 2020-09-23 - 2020-09-25.
- (2020) Vision-Based Lighting State Detection and Curtain Openness Ratio Prediction. Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (SimAUD) 2020 . Austrian Institute of Technology; Vienna. 2020-05-25 - 2020-05-27.
- (2019) Improving Visual Design Perception by an Integrated Mixed Reality Environment for Performative Architecture. eCAADe RIS 2019. Virtually Real. Immersing into the Unbuilt: Proceedings of the 7th Regional International Symposium on Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe . Aalborg University; Aalborg. 2019-05-02 - 2019-05-03.
- (2019) Architectural Design in Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality Environments: A Comparative Analysis. 2019 IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality and 3D User Interfaces (VR) ; Osaka. 2019-03-23 - 2019-03-27.
- (2019) Video Content Analysis-Based Detection of Occupant Presence for Building Energy Modelling. CIB W78 Conference: Advances in ICT in Design, Construction and Management in Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Operations (AECO) ; Newcastle. 2019-09-18 - 2019-09-20.
- (2019) Automated building energy modeling for existing buildings using computer vision. CIB W78 Conference: Advances in ICT in Design, Construction and Management in Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Operations (AECO) ; Newcastle. 2019-09-18 - 2019-09-20.
- (2018) An Immersive Design Environment for Performance-Based Architectural Design: A BIM-based Approach. 4th EAI International Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good (GOODTECHS 2018) ; Bologna. 2018-11-28 - 2018-11-30.