Eirin Marie Skjøndal Bar
Background and activities
I started as an Associate Professor 1.January 2017 at the department of Biotechnology and Food Science, where I will focus on teaching sustainable food production, hygienic design and packaging in combination with food processing equipment design and development.
I hold a MSc. degree within the field of mechanical engineering from Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), where I focused on Product Development in combination with Industrial Ecology. After having worked as a teaching assistant for a couple of years at NTNU, I started my PhD on sustainable and profitable aquaculture. I defended my PhD thesis titled "Advanced Food Processing Equipment Design for a Sustainable Salmonid Fish Industry in Norway" in September 2015. During this period, I was also employed at SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture, working as a researcher on a various projects providing technical solutions for the fish processing industry, and have been full time employed at SINTEF until I started at NTNU in January.
- TMAT3004 - Bachelor Thesis
- MATV1012 - Food, Processing Technology and Sustainability
- MATV3006 - Bachelor Thesis
- TMMT4001 - Sustainable food production
- TMMT5003 - Master Thesis in Food and Technology
- TMMT4006 - Food Safety in Manufacturing
- TMAT201P - Internship
- TMAS3002 - System Engineering
- TMMT5002 - Productivity, innovation and product development
- TMMT5004 - Master Thesis in Food and Technology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Systemic Insights on the Integration of UN Sustainable Development Goals within the Norwegian Salmon Value Chain. Applied Sciences. vol. 11 (24).
- (2020) Food-Loss Control at the Macronutrient Level: Protein Inventory for the Norwegian Farmed Salmon Production System. Foods. vol. 9.
- (2020) Systems engineering approach to food loss reduction in Norwegian farmed salmon Post-harvest processing. Systems. vol. 8.
- (2019) Review of applying material flow analysis-based studies for a sustainable Norwegian Salmon aquaculture industry. Journal of Applied Aquaculture. vol. 32 (1).
- (2016) Towards robotic post-trimming of salmon fillets. Industrial robot. vol. 43 (4).
- (2015) A case study of obstacles and enablers for green innovation within the fish processing equipment industry. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 90.
- (2011) An automated salmonid slaughter line using machine vision. Industrial robot. vol. 38 (4).
- (2018) Nutritional and health aspects of food in Nordic countries. Elsevier. 2018. ISBN 978-0-12-809416-7.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Chapter 11. Environmental Sustainability Issues Regarding Nordic Food Production. Nutritional and health aspects of food in Nordic countries.
- (2017) New Product Development - Eirin M. Skjøndal Bar, Sunniva Hoel and Jørgen Lerfall. Trends in Fish Processing Technologies.
- (2017) OMAE2017-61845 Risk Management in Aquaculture: Integrating Sustainability Perspectives. ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 7B: Ocean Engineering.
- (2011) LCA as a part of product design of equipment used in the fish processing industry, A product developer's perspective. LCA Conference, Life Cycle Assessment a tool for strategic decition making. Conference proceedings,Volume 1: Academic Papers.
- (2015) Advanced Food Processing Equipment Design for a Sustainable Salmonid Fish Industry in Norway. 2015. ISBN 978-82-326-1092-1.
- (2014) Lønnsom foredling av sjømat i Norge. 2014. ISBN 978-82-14-05769-0.