Background and activities
I am pursuing an Industrial PhD in collaboration with Krüger Kaldnes (Veolia Water Technologies, Norway), Nofima AS, and NTNU. My project is a part of CtrlAQUA SFI; an international project to develop technological and biological solutions for closed-containment systems for Atlantic salmon farming.
About me: I completed my B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. Thereafter, I moved to the USA to get my M.Sc. in Environmental Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University, where I studied water chemistry and water treatment. After my studies, I joined Veolia Water Technologies (VWT) USA where I worked for three years on industrial wastewater treatment, before moving to VWT Norway. Here, I was offered the opportunity to do an Industry PhD on the water treatment challenges faced in land-based farming of Atlantic salmon.
My research goal is to develop strategies for managing the biological water treatment system in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS). In particular, I focus on the nitrification process in biofilms under varying salinities, from freshwater to seawater. I am also studying the impact of salinity on biofilm microbial communities and how microbial strategies may be utilized to improve bioreactor design and management. With every new day of research, I am falling deeper in love with these fascinating creatures.
You can find out more about what I do in these videos:
Education & Work Experience
2015-present Process engineer, Krüger Kaldnes AS (Veolia Water Technologies), Norway
2013-2015 Process specialist, Veolia Water Technologies, Pittsburgh PA, USA
2012-2013 M.Sc., Environmental Engg., Carnegie Mellon University, USA
2008-2012 B.Tech, Chemical Engg. (Hons.) with Minor in Computer Science, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India
Summer 2011 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Summer 2010 Suzlon Energy Ltd., India
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Effect of CO2 on elemental concentrations in recirculating aquaculture system tanks. Aquaculture. vol. 511.
- (2019) Influence of rate of salinity increase on nitrifying biofilms. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 238.
- (2018) Effect of change in water salinity on nitrification in moving bed biofilm reactors (MBBR). Presentation at Smolt production in the future – 5th Conference on Recirculating Aquaculture . Nofima AS; Sunndalsøra. 2018-10-23 - 2018-10-24.
- (2018) Biofilter salinity change strategies for Atlantic salmon post-smolt production in RAS. AQUA 2018 . World Aquaculture Society, European Aquaculture Society; Montpellier. 2018-08-25 - 2018-08-29.
- (2017) Improving salmon production with better water quality - The Eco-Way. Oslo Innovation Week ; Oslo. 2017-08-30 - 2017-08-30.
- (2017) Lower energy need with better biofilter. AQUA NOR ; Trondheim. 2017-08-15 - 2017-08-18.
- (2017) Secrets of a biofilter - Why microscopic things matter. AQUA NOR ; Trondheim. 2017-08-15 - 2017-08-18.