Background and activities
I am a renewable energy specialist primarily involved in teaching and research within energy technologies. My research interest encompasses thermochemical and biochemical conversion of biomass, and energy system modeling using PVSyst, HOMER, SuperPro, etc. Besides, I am also interested in solar energy and life cycle assessment of engineering applications relevant to renewable energy technologies. I have experimental background on using data acquisition tool (e.g. LabView) together with building experimental set-ups suitable for investigation of different aspects of producer gas and biogas production, upgradation and optimization techniques. Based on experimental findings, I publish research articles (link below). Also, I have been involved in scientific review and research grant proposal writing, and very recently have been granted funding by Norwegian Research Council (RFF Innlandet) to lead a project BIOGASPLAS starting from 2020. I have gained experience from both academia and industry (e.g. paper manufacturing, beverage, process analysis using CFD, etc.) since obtained my bachelor’s degree on Mechanical Engineering in 2002. I am today a faculty member (Associate Professor) from the department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering at NTNU, Gjøvik.
My Ph.D. from University of Agder (Norway) was on optimization of producer gas by means of different modes of gasification (e.g. fixed bed and fluidized bed reactor techniques) using various biomass feedstock types (e.g. woody, grassy, etc.). In my postdoc (at NTNU, Trondheim), I looked at biogas upgradation possibilities by injecting H2 to live anaerobic digestion processes operating at different conditions and scales.
I was involved in teaching bachelor and master level courses (e.g. turbulent flow analysis, biogas technology, measurement and instrumentation, and renewable energy) across my stays in different research institutions throughout Europe (e.g. KTH, University of Udine, Aarhus University and NTNU), and was or currently responsible for teaching thermodynamics, sustainable energy, and bio - and solar energy courses (listed below).
FENG2022- Bioenergy (starts in Autumn 2021) - current
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Yield improvements in anaerobic digestion of lignocellulosic feedstocks. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 288.
- (2021) Effects of Seasonal Temperature Variation on Slurry Temperature and Biogas Composition of a Commercial Fixed-Dome Anaerobic Digester Used in Bangladesh. Sustainability. vol. 13 (19).
- (2020) Optimization of Reactor Temperature for Continuous Anaerobic Digestion of Cow Manure: Bangladesh Perspective. Sustainability. vol. 12 (21).
- (2020) Thermochemical production of fuels. Hydrogen, Biomass and Bioenergy: Integration Pathways for Renewable Energy Applications.
- (2020) By-products of fish-oil refinery as potential substrates for biogas production in Norway: a preliminary study. Results in Engineering (RINENG). vol. 6.
- (2020) Exploring biogas potential data of cattle manure and olive cake to gain insight into farm and commercial scale production. Data in Brief. vol. 32.
- (2020) Biogas and hydrogen. Hydrogen, Biomass and Bioenergy: Integration Pathways for Renewable Energy Applications.
- (2020) A case study on solar, wind and hydro energy resource potential of Prizren region in Kosovo. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 167 (03001).
- (2020) Lessons learned from an experimental campaign on promoting energy content of renewable biogas by injecting H2 during anaerobic digestion. Energies. vol. 13 (14).
- (2019) Cryogenic vs. absorption biogas upgrading in liquefied biomethane production – An energy efficiency analysis. Fuel. vol. 245.
- (2019) Perspectives of optical colourimetric sensors for anaerobic digestion. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 111.
- (2019) Perspectives of surface plasmon resonance sensors for optimized biogas methanation. Engineering in Life Sciences. vol. 19 (11).
- (2019) A review of the role of critical parameters in the design and operation of biogas production plants. Applied Sciences. vol. 9:1915 (9).
- (2018) Fermentative Bioethanol Production Using Enzymatically Hydrolysed Saccharina latissima. Advances in microbiology. vol. 8.
- (2018) Overview of recent progress towards in-situ biogas upgradation techniques. Fuel. vol. 226.
- (2017) On-line monitoring of volatile fatty acids and hydrogen during anaerobic digestion. 3rd Conference on Monitoring & Process Control of Anaerobic Digestion Plants ; 2017-03-29 - 2017-03-30.
- (2016) Feasibility analysis of a renewable hybrid energy system with producer gas generator fulfilling remote household electricity demand in Southern Norway. Renewable Energy. vol. 87.
- (2016) Thermochemical gasification of local lignocellulosic biomass via fixed-bed and fluidized-bed reactors. 2016. ISBN 978-82-7117-824-6.
- (2015) Semi-continuous feeding and gasification of alfalfa and wheat straw pellets in a lab-scale fluidized bed reactor. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 99.
- (2015) Characterization and pilot scale fluidized bed gasification of herbaceous biomass: A case study on alfalfa pellets. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 91.
- (2015) Assessing the gasification potential of five woodchips species by employing a lab-scale fixed-bed downdraft reactor. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 103.
- (2015) ERRATUM TO: PRELIMINARY FIXED-BED DOWNDRAFT GASIFICATION OF BIRCH WOODCHIPS. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology.
- (2015) Preliminary fixed-bed downdraft gasification of birch woodchips. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 12 (7).
- (2014) Regulating feeding and increasing methane yield from co-digestion of C5 molasses and cattle manure. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 84.
- (2014) Influence of variable feeding on mesophilic and thermophilic co-digestion of Laminaria digitata and cattle manure. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 87.