Background and activities
Hydrogen in biogas (HyBig)
The wastes thrown to household kitchen bins or generated from agricultural farms are good source of renewable energy when transformed into biogas which can eventually drive vehicles or cook foods. Analogous to biological digestive system, an anaerobic digester containing microorganisms at right temperature can convert waste materials into biogas composing 60-70% of methane and 20-30% of carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide although is a part of biogas, has no energy of its own. Hence to improve biogas quality this gas component needs to be either separated or converted to energy content gas such as methane. In the current research project, I am working on developing techniques allowing to transform carbon dioxide into methane. One approach such as adding hydrogen during anaerobic digestion can promote biological conversion of carbon dioxide into methane resulting in increased energy content of renewable biogas which is being investigated in this work.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Feasibility analysis of a renewable hybrid energy system with producer gas generator fulfilling remote household electricity demand in Southern Norway. Renewable Energy. vol. 87.
- (2015) Semi-continuous feeding and gasification of alfalfa and wheat straw pellets in a lab-scale fluidized bed reactor. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 99.
- (2015) Characterization and pilot scale fluidized bed gasification of herbaceous biomass: A case study on alfalfa pellets. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 91.
- (2015) Assessing the gasification potential of five woodchips species by employing a lab-scale fixed-bed downdraft reactor. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 103.
- (2015) Preliminary fixed-bed downdraft gasification of birch woodchips. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 12 (7).
- (2014) Regulating feeding and increasing methane yield from co-digestion of C5 molasses and cattle manure. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 84.
- (2014) Influence of variable feeding on mesophilic and thermophilic co-digestion of Laminaria digitata and cattle manure. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 87.
- (2013) Boosting biogas yield of anaerobic digesters by utilizing concentrated molasses from 2nd generation bioethanol plant. The International Journal of Energy and Environment. vol. 4 (2).
- (2016) Thermochemical gasification of local lignocellulosic biomass via fixed-bed and fluidized-bed reactors. 2016. ISBN 978-82-7117-824-6.