Background and activities
Educated in Pavia, Italy (MA, 2004) and Groningen, the Netherlands (PhD, 2009). 'Max Weber' postdoctoral fellow (2011-13) and senior researcher (2013-15) at the European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
Leader of Work Package 3 «Strategies and policies of university top-level government» in the project «GENDIM – Understanding gender imbalance among university professors». GENDIM is part of the NORDICORE network.
Researcher in the project «Risk in the information society: Towards epistemic justice» (EpiJustInf, NFR SAMRISK).
Member of ELSA Norway, the network of ELSA (Ethical, Legal and Social Aspects of science and technology) and RRI (Responsible Research and Innovation) researchers in Norway, and of the Norwegian Association for Women's Rights.
Teaching (incl. classroom and digital; incl. course leadership):
- KULT2207 and KULT2208 Gender and Norwegian culture: Paradoxes of equality 1 and 2
- KULT2201 Digitalisation and social change (module: gender/race bias in machine learning)
- KULT2206 Perspectives on gender 2
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Do Low-Openness, Low-Transparency Procedures in Academic Hiring Disadvantage Women?. Social Sciences. vol. 9 (6).
- (2018) What's in a word? On the use of metaphors to describe the careers of women academics. Gender and Education. vol. 32 (7).
- (2014) Adverse Psychological Effects to Deep Brain Stimulation: Overturning the Question. AJOB Neuroscience. vol. 5 (4).
- (2013) Brain Imaging as a Diagnostic and as a Communicative Tool in Disorders of Consciousness. European University Institute Working Papers.
- (2013) Whose self-determination? Barriers to access to Emergency Hormonal Contraception in Italy. Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal. vol. 23 (2).
- (2011) Ethical and legal acceptability of the use of neuro-muscular blockers (NMBs) in connection with abstention decisions in Dutch NICUs: interviews with neonatologists. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 37.
- (2010) End-of-life decisions in Dutch neonatology. Medical Law Review. vol. 18 (4).
- (2010) Management of conflicts with the parents over administration of life-prolonging treatment in two Dutch NICUs: interviews with neonatologists. Medicine and law : an international journal. vol. 29 (2).
- (2010) Non-treatment decisions on grounds of ‘medical futility’ and definition of ‘quality of life’: interviews with 14 Dutch neonatologists. Issues in law & medicine. vol. 26 (1).
- (2010) The Englaro case: withdrawal of treatment from a patient in a Permanent Vegetative State in Italy. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. vol. 19 (3).
- (2010) The parents' ability to take care of their baby as a factor in decisions to withhold or withdraw life-prolonging treatment in two Dutch NICUs. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 36.
- (2010) Regulation of treatment of infants at the edge of viability in Italy: the role of the medical profession?. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 36.
- (2010) The Italian Ministry of Health recommends resuscitation for all pre-term infants irrespective of gestational age and parental consent. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition. vol. 95.
- (2009) La proporzionalità delle cure in neonatologia: un documento della Società Olandese di Pediatria. Bioetica. vol. 17 (1-2).
- (2009) The development of medical futility: towards a procedural approach based on the role of the medical profession. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 35 (6).
- (2008) Il Protocollo di Groningen: conversazioni con Eduard Verhagen. Bioetica. vol. 16 (3).
- (2007) Ontluikend begrip voor levensbeëindiging in Italië. Medisch Contact.
- (2016) Legal Insanity and the Brain. Bloomsbury Academic. 2016. ISBN 9781509902330.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Fertility control. Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics.
- (2014) Schmitz, il progressista borghese. Lo Svevo politico [Schmitz, the progressive bourgeois. Svevo's political writings]. Italo Svevo and His Legacy for the Third Millennium - Volume II: Contexts and Influences.
- (2012) Treatment Directives in the Netherlands: The Gap between Legal Regulation and Medical Practice. Self-Determination, Dignity and End-of-Life Care: Regulating Advance Directives in International and Comparative Perspective.
- (2008) End-of-life decisions in Italy. Euthanasia and Law in Europe.