Background and activities
Former and current appointments:
Educated in Pavia, Italy (MA, 2004) and Groningen, the Netherlands (PhD, 2005-09). 'Max Weber' Fellow (2011-13) and Senior Researcher (2013-15) at the European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
Recent and ongoing projects:
- Making gender balance from below: Stimulating gender equality among university professors (BALANSE)
- Understanding gender balance among university professors: The shaping and reshaping of epistemic living spaces (GENDIM) (WP leader)
- Risk in the information society: Towards epistemic justice (EpiJustInf)
- A digital hub on gender, the COVID-19 crisis and its aftermath (ProGender) (coordinator for NTNU)
- Responsible robotics in Europe (Robotics4EU)
- Mitigating diversity bias of Artificial Intelligence in the labour market (BIAS) (WP leader)
- KULT2207/08 Gender and Norwegian culture: Paradoxes of equality
- KULT2201 Digitalisation and social change
- KULT2202/06 Perspectives on gender
- KULT8880 Research, technology & society: RRI-course Digital Life Norway
- KULT8860/61 Speech, text & interpretation. Qualitative methodologies for researchers
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Contemporary Fairy Tales: Narrating Women Academics Through Metaphors. Feminist Encounters: A Journal of Critical Studies in Culture and Politics. vol. 5 (2).
- (2021) Bioteknologiske framtider. Refleksjoner over endringene i bioteknologiloven fra et kjønnsforskningsperspektiv. Tidsskrift for kjønnsforskning. vol. 45 (02-03).
- (2020) A woman’s place is in the ‘home’? Gender-specific hiring patterns in academia in gender-equal Norway. Journal of Sociology.
- (2020) Do Low-Openness, Low-Transparency Procedures in Academic Hiring Disadvantage Women?. Social Sciences. vol. 9 (6).
- (2018) What's in a word? On the use of metaphors to describe the careers of women academics. Gender and Education. vol. 32 (7).
- (2014) Adverse Psychological Effects to Deep Brain Stimulation: Overturning the Question. AJOB Neuroscience. vol. 5 (4).
- (2013) Brain Imaging as a Diagnostic and as a Communicative Tool in Disorders of Consciousness. European University Institute Working Papers.
- (2013) Whose self-determination? Barriers to access to Emergency Hormonal Contraception in Italy. Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal. vol. 23 (2).
- (2011) Ethical and legal acceptability of the use of neuro-muscular blockers (NMBs) in connection with abstention decisions in Dutch NICUs: interviews with neonatologists. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 37.
- (2010) End-of-life decisions in Dutch neonatology. Medical Law Review. vol. 18 (4).
- (2010) Management of conflicts with the parents over administration of life-prolonging treatment in two Dutch NICUs: interviews with neonatologists. Medicine and law : an international journal. vol. 29 (2).
- (2010) Non-treatment decisions on grounds of ‘medical futility’ and definition of ‘quality of life’: interviews with 14 Dutch neonatologists. Issues in law & medicine. vol. 26 (1).
- (2010) The Englaro case: withdrawal of treatment from a patient in a Permanent Vegetative State in Italy. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. vol. 19 (3).
- (2010) The parents' ability to take care of their baby as a factor in decisions to withhold or withdraw life-prolonging treatment in two Dutch NICUs. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 36.
- (2010) Regulation of treatment of infants at the edge of viability in Italy: the role of the medical profession?. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 36.
- (2010) The Italian Ministry of Health recommends resuscitation for all pre-term infants irrespective of gestational age and parental consent. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition. vol. 95.
- (2009) La proporzionalità delle cure in neonatologia: un documento della Società Olandese di Pediatria. Bioetica. vol. 17 (1-2).
- (2009) The development of medical futility: towards a procedural approach based on the role of the medical profession. Journal of Medical Ethics. vol. 35 (6).
- (2008) Il Protocollo di Groningen: conversazioni con Eduard Verhagen. Bioetica. vol. 16 (3).
- (2007) Ontluikend begrip voor levensbeëindiging in Italië. Medisch Contact.
- (2016) Legal Insanity and the Brain. Bloomsbury Academic. 2016. ISBN 9781509902330.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Fertility control. Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics.
- (2014) Schmitz, il progressista borghese. Lo Svevo politico [Schmitz, the progressive bourgeois. Svevo's political writings]. Italo Svevo and His Legacy for the Third Millennium - Volume II: Contexts and Influences.
- (2012) Treatment Directives in the Netherlands: The Gap between Legal Regulation and Medical Practice. Self-Determination, Dignity and End-of-Life Care: Regulating Advance Directives in International and Comparative Perspective.
- (2008) End-of-life decisions in Italy. Euthanasia and Law in Europe.
- (2021) Societal Readiness Plan for Robotics4EU. 2021.
- (2019) The publication culture at the Faculty of Humanities, NTNU A survey. 2019.
- (2021) Interdisciplinarity in Practice: Experiences from Digital Life Norway (DLN). Post-webinar workshop - Digital Transformation: How to succeed with cross-disciplinary collaboration? ; 2021-05-05.
- (2021) Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Assumptions, Expectations and Experiences. Webinar - Digital Transformation: How to succeed with cross-disciplinary collaboration? ; 2021-05-05.
- (2021) Women scientists during the pandemic. Lecture series, ProGender – A Digital Hub on Gender, the Covid-19 crisis and its Aftermath . Panteion University Athens + University of Iceland + NTNU; 2021-01-12.
- (2021) Women, Gender and Science during COVID-19. Panel series, ProGender – A Digital Hub on Gender, the Covid-19 crisis and its Aftermath. Chair of panel discussion ; https://progender.panteion.gr. 2021-05-26.
- (2021) Stillingsstruktur i tåkeheimen. https://khrono.no/stillingsstruktur-i-takeheimen/576004 [Avis]. 2021-05-09.
- (2020) Gender bias. BIAS . NTNU Kvinneprosjektet; 2020-11-26.
- (2020) Hvis alle kvinnelige stipendiater hadde skrevet hver sin kronikk, så hadde man sett at dette ikke bare er anekdoter. ForskerForum [Fagblad]. 2020-01-02.
- (2020) One size does not fit all: the «academic excellence» standard and its implementation. Forskningsrådet – The Research Council of Norway ; Lysaker, Oslo. 2020-01-30.
- (2020) "Ulysses" and "Penelope": Gendered patterns of professorial recruitment. GENDIM Workshop on gender equality in academia ; Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskab, Trondheim. 2020-03-09.
- (2020) Vi bestemmer om glasstaket finnes. Metaforer som beskriver kvinners karriere i akademia er verken inkluderende eller maktkritiske. KIFinfo – Committee for Gender and Diversity in Research [Avis]. 2020-06-03.
- (2020) Movie screening: "The Stepford Wives" (1975). Introduction by Sofia Moratti. IMRO-Lab Cyborg Cinema Series . IMRO-Lab – NTNU Welfare Technology; 2020-02-27.
- (2019) A maze of metaphors on women academics. Kjønnsforskerstafett på kvinnedagen – Women's day event, POPUP Feministhus ; 2019-03-08.
- (2019) Are internationalisation and excellence policies bad for women?. NORDICORE conference: Endelig likestilling i akademia? . Institute for Social Research, Oslo; 2019-10-07.
- (2019) Contemporary fairy tales: narrating women academic through metaphors. 30-year Jubilee of the NTNU Center for Gender Research ; Trøndelag Theater, Trondheim. 2019-09-27.
- (2019) From natural events to fairy tales: narrating women academics through metaphors. NTNU Vitenskapsteoretisk Forum talk series ; 2019-11-19.
- (2019) Gender-specific career paths in academia in Norway?. Nordic Law & Gender Conference 2019 –– Faculty of Law, University of Oslo ; 2019-09-23.