Sondre Kvalvåg Schnell
Background and activities
I'm also co-advising:
Our research is focused on numerical simulations, specifically focusing on thermodynamics properties, both in equilibrium and non-equilibrium. More specifically, we focus on two topics: transport in Magnesium Ion batteries, an alternative battery technology, and nanothermodynamics, which is describing thermal properties of systems consisting of just a few atoms. In our work we use molecular simulations, where we explicitly model single atoms, and how they interact with each other.
From the autumn 2018 we will start working on the RCN funded FRIPRO project NanoTherm, where we will study how thermodynamics can be used to describe connections between heat and energy in molecular machines.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Chemical Potential Differences in the Macroscopic Limit from Fluctuations in Small Systems. Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling. vol. 61 (2).
- (2021) Adsorption of an Ideal Gas on a Small Spherical Adsorbent. Nanomaterials. vol. 11 (2).
- (2020) Kirkwood–Buff Integrals Using Molecular Simulation: Estimation of Surface Effects. Nanomaterials.
- (2020) Thermodynamic analysis of different methanation reactors for biogas upgrading. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 48.
- (2020) Dipentamethylene thiuram tetrasulfide-based cathodes for rechargeable magnesium batteries. ACS Applied Energy Materials. vol. 3.
- (2020) Are MXenes Suitable as Cathode Materials for Rechargeable Mg Batteries?. Sustainable Energy & Fuels. vol. 4 (6).
- (2020) Two-Phase Equilibrium Conditions in Nanopores. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (4).
- (2020) Crystal Structure Influences Migration along Li and Mg Surfaces. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters. vol. 11 (8).
- (2019) Kirkwood-Buff integrals from molecular simulation. Fluid Phase Equilibria. vol. 486.
- (2019) Optimization of an absorption-based biogas upgrading and liquefaction process. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 76.
- (2019) Cryogenic vs. absorption biogas upgrading in liquefied biomethane production – An energy efficiency analysis. Fuel. vol. 245.
- (2018) Finite-size effects of Kirkwood–Buff integrals from molecular simulations. Molecular Simulation. vol. 44 (7).
- (2017) Size and shape effects on the thermodynamic properties of nanoscale volumes of water. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 19 (13).
- (2017) Translational and Rotational Motion of C8 Aromatics Adsorbed in Isotropic Porous Media (MOF-5): NMR Studies and MD Simulations. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. vol. 121 (28).
- (2016) High-throughput computational screening of nanoporous adsorbents for CO 2 capture from natural gas. Molecular Systems Design & Engineering. vol. 1.
- (2016) Computing properties of the hydrogen dissociation reaction in and away from equilibrium. Molecular Simulation. vol. 42 (16).
- (2015) Nanoporous materials can tune the critical point of a pure substance. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. vol. 54 (48).
- (2015) Evaluating adsorbed-phase activity coefficient models using a 2D-lattice model. Molecular Simulation. vol. 41 (15).
- (2015) Cooperative insertion of CO2 in diamine-appended metal-organic frameworks. Nature. vol. 519 (7543).
- (2015) What Are the Best Materials To Separate a Xenon/Krypton Mixture?. Chemistry of Materials. vol. 27 (12).