Background and activities
My research is focused on understanding the fundamental magnetic properties of rocks and minerals, and how the atomic-scale properties affect magnetic anomalies on local, regional and satellite scales. My projects and funding, have ranged from nanotechnology through mineral resource investigations to space-research programs. I received my PhD in 1993, and have over 80 publications in the international journals in the fields of rock and mineral magnetism, crustal magnetism, exploration, mineralogy, petrology and geochemistry. My research is highly interdisciplinary and my co-authors are in the fields of physics, chemistry, nanomaterials, crystallography and geophysics. In 2009, I gave the Bullard Lecture at the American Geophysical Union on the subject of Crustal Magnetism. I have given over 50 invited international lectures at international conferences and at universities around the world.
In 2012, I moved to NTNU from the Geological Survey of Norway, where I was a senior researcher. Since moving to NTNU I have built up a program focusing on the magnetic behaviour of crustal rocks at all scales (atomic to satellite) with 2 postdocs, 3PhDs, 4 masters students working on these topics.
I was a chair of the Advisory Board for the Institute of Rock Magnetism, University of Minnesota, USA. I am member of Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskab (The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters), Norges Tekniske Vitenskapsakademi (Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences), a Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America and the Geological Society of America. Board member of the Deep research School (UiO) and National Geomagnetism Laboratory at UiO.
TGB4285 Crustal Magnetism
TGB4280 Geophysical Exploration for Natural Resources
GB8110 Mineral and Crustal Magnetism
GB8105 Applied Geophysics and Petrology for Exploration of Natural Resources
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Magnetic Mineralogy and Petrophysical Properties of Ultramafic Rocks: Consequences for Crustal Magnetism. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. vol. 20 (4).
- (2018) Portrait of a giant deep-seated magmatic conduit system: The Seiland Igneous Province. Lithos. vol. 296-299.
- (2018) Magnetism at Depth: A View from an Ancient Continental Subduction and Collision Zone. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. vol. 19 (4).
- (2018) Geophysical expression of the Leka Ophiolite, Norway modeled from integrated gravity, magnetic and petrophysical data. Norwegian Journal of Geology. vol. 98 (1).
- (2018) Magnetic anomalies of the mafic/ultramafic seiland igneous province. Norwegian Journal of Geology. vol. 98 (1).
- (2018) Mapping magnetic sources at the millimeter to micrometer scale in dunite and serpentinite by high-resolution magnetic microscopy. Lithos. vol. 323.
- (2017) Influence of static alternating field demagnetization on anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility: Experiments and implications. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems. vol. 18 (9).
- (2017) Effect of magnetic anisotropy on the natural remanent magnetization in the MCU IVe' layer of the Bjerkreim Sokndal Layered Intrusion, Rogaland, Southern Norway. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. vol. 122 (2).
- (2017) Effects of magnetic anisotropy on total magnetic field anomalies. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. vol. 122 (11).
- (2017) Spin orientation in solid solution hematite-ilmenite. American Mineralogist. vol. 102 (6).
- (2017) Lamellar magnetism and exchange bias in billion-year-old metamorphic titanohematite with nanoscale ilmenite exsolution lamellae: II. Exchange-bias at 5 K after field-free cooling of NRM. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 208 (2).
- (2016) Magnetic fabrics in the Bjerkreim Sokndal Layered Intrusion, Rogaland, Southern Norway. Tectonophysics. vol. 688.
- (2016) Nonlinear Preisach maps: Detecting and characterizing separate remanent magnetic fractions in complex natural samples. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. vol. 121 (12).
- (2016) Anatomy of a deep crustal volcanic conduit system; The Reinfjord Ultramafic Complex, Seiland Igneous Province, Northern Norway. Lithos. vol. 252-253.
- (2016) Crustal magnetic signature of planets: Tracking the solid solution of Fe and exsolution of magnetite in Bushveld plagioclase by magnetic and Mössbauer properties. Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs.
- (2016) Lamellar Magnetism and Exchange Bias in Billion-year-old Titanohematite with Nanoscale Ilmenite Exsolution Lamellae: I. Mineral and Magnetic Characterization. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 206 (1).
- (2016) The deep crustal structure of the mafic-ultramafic Seiland Igneous Province of Norway from 3D gravity modelling and geological implications. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 207 (3).
- (2016) Remanent magnetization, magnetic coupling and interface ionic configurations of intergrown rhombohedral and cubic Fe-Ti oxides: a short survey. American Mineralogist. vol. 101 (3).
- (2016) Palaeointensity, core thermal conductivity and the unknown age of the inner core. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 205 (2).