Background and activities
Head of Department
Professor in Thermodynamics and Combustion
See ComKin group Home for detailed information regarding research activity
Area of Work:
- Theoretical and experimental research within the field of combustion/gasification and alternative fuels (bio, hydrogen).
- Modeling of gasification processes of solid biofuels (reactive multiphase flows) for biofuel production.
- Head of Engine Laboratory Department of Energy and Process Engineering
- Teaching: Thermodynamics, Heat and Combustion
- SMARTCATS (EU Cost initiative)
Bio4Fuels (FME, NFR + industry partners)
- BioCarb+ (NFR + industry partners)
- GrateCFD (NFR + industry partners)
- GAFT (NFR + industry partners)
C3BO (DSF + industry partners)
- Churchill College, Cambridge University, Alumni Fellow in Engineering
- The Combustion Institute Scandinavian-Nordic Section
- Consortium On Computational Combustion For Engineering Applications
- Institute of Physics
Professor II i Process and Gas technologi
Department of Engeneering Science and Safety, University of Tromsø, Norway
Lecturer in Energy Technologies (associate empl.), School of Engineering and Material Science, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
College Lecturer in Engineering, Churchill College, University of Cambridge, UK
Research Associate, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK
Research Associate, Division of Combustion Physics, Lund University, Sweden
- TEP4550 - Energy and Process Engineering, Specialization Project
- TEP4915 - Thermal Energy, Master's Thesis
- TEP4925 - Engineering Fluid Mechanics, Master's Thesis
- TEP4515 - Thermal Energy, Specialization Course
- TEP4900 - Energy and Process Engineering, Master's Thesis
- TEP4510 - Thermal Energy, Specialization Project
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Numerical investigation of glycerol/diesel emulsion combustion in compression ignition conditions using Stochastic Reactor Model. Fuel.
- (2022) CFD modeling of biomass combustion and gasification in fluidized bed reactors using a distribution kernel method. Combustion and Flame.
- (2022) Computationally efficient coarse-graining XDEM/CFD modeling of fixed-bed combustion of biomass. Combustion and Flame.
- (2021) Varying Ignition Quality of a Fuel for a HCCI Engine Using a Photochemically-Controlled Additive: The Development of a ‘Smart’ Fuel. Energies. vol. 14 (5).
- (2021) Detailed examination of the combustion of diesel and glycerol emulsions in a compression ignition engine. Fuel. vol. 291.
- (2021) Determination of zero dimensional, apparent devolatilization kinetics for biomass particles at suspension firing conditions. Energies. vol. 14 (4).
- (2021) Curvature effects on NO formation in wrinkled laminar ammonia/hydrogen/nitrogen-air premixed flames. Combustion and Flame. vol. 232.
- (2021) Surrogate Reaction Mechanism for Waste Incineration and Pollutant Formation. Energy & Fuels. vol. 35 (9).
- (2020) Combustion and Soot Characteristics of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil Compression-Ignited Spray Flames. Fuel. vol. 266.
- (2020) Morphology and volume fraction of biomass particles in a jet flow during devolatilization. Fuel. vol. 278.
- (2020) Dimensional Decomposition of Turbulent Reacting Flows. Flow Turbulence and Combustion. vol. 106.
- (2020) Computational fluid dynamic simulations of thermochemical conversion of pulverized biomass in a dilute flow using spheroidal approximation. Fuel. vol. 271.
- (2020) The influence of size and morphology on devolatilization of biomass particles. Fuel. vol. 264.
- (2020) Numerical investigation of optimal flow conditions in an optically accessed compression ignition engine. Transportation Engineering. vol. 2.
- (2020) Effects of scaling laws on the combustion and NOx characteristics of hydrogen burners. Combustion and Flame. vol. 214.
- (2020) Stochastic Reactor-Based Fuel Bed Model for Grate Furnaces. Energy & Fuels. vol. 34 (12).
- (2020) Grid-independent Eulerian-Lagrangian approaches for simulations of solid fuel particle combustion. Chemical Engineering Journal.
- (2019) Diffuse Back-Illuminated Extinction Imaging of Soot: Effects of Beam Steering and Flame Luminosity. SAE technical paper series. vol. 2019-January (January).
- (2019) Optical Measurements of In-Flame Soot in Compression-Ignited Methyl Ester Flames. Energy & Fuels. vol. 33.
- (2019) On soot sampling: Considerations when sampling for TEM imaging and differential mobility spectrometer. SAE technical paper series. vol. 2019:2019-24-0159 (September).