Background and activities
I am concerned with understanding and conceptualizing how organizations make the transition to a digital age, with particular interest in how the nature of work and organizing transforms as new digital technologies are introduced in the workplace; how services and products transforms when they are digitalized; and how existing industrial structures shape the way organizations individually and collectively make use of new digital technologies.
In approaching these topics, I draw upon a combination of theoretical resources from organization science, computing, as well as science and technology studies. I pursue these research interests through in-depth empirical studies in close collaboration with organizations across sectors and industries.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) In the Backrooms of Data Science. Journal of the AIS. vol. forthcoming.
- (2020) Digital sand: The becoming of digital representations. Information and organization. vol. 30 (1).
- (2019) Geological Multi-scenario Reasoning. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2014) Situated with Infrastructures: Interactivity and Entanglement in Sensor Data Interpretation. Journal of the AIS. vol. 15 (5).
- (2014) Prosjektdynamikk og innovasjonsutfordringer i store forskningssentre. Magma - Tidsskrift for økonomi og ledelse. vol. 17 (8).
- (2012) Punctuation and extrapolation: representing a subsurface oil reservoir. Journal of experimental and theoretical artificial intelligence (Print). vol. 24 (3).
- (2012) Co-materialization: Digital Innovation Dynamics in the Offshore Petroleum Industry. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2012) On Countering Methods Erosion: Contributing towards Stronger and More Empirically Grounded Information Systems Theory. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). vol. 45.
- (2012) Dual materiality and knowing in petroleum production. Information and organization. vol. 22 (2).
- (2010) Manufacturing Accomplices: ICT Use in Securing the Safety State at Airports. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 318.
- (2007) Open Source Software: A Source of Possibilities for Software Engineering Education and Empirical Software Engineering. Proceedings - International Conference on Software Engineering.
- (2007) Debugging Integrated Systems: An Ethnographic Study of Debugging Practice. Proceedings - Conferense on Software Maintenance.
- (2006) Producing and Interpreting Debug Texts. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. vol. 203.
- (2005) Can we teach empirical software engineering?. Proceedings of the IEEE International Software Metrics Symposium (METRICS). vol. 11.
- (2004) Community of Practice versus Practice of the Community: Knowing in Collaborative Work. ICFAI Journal of Knowledge Management. vol. 2 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2020) Coordinating innovation in digital infrastructure: The case of transforming offshore project delivery. Digital Business Transformation.
- (2020) Navigating towards a digital ecosystem: The case study of offshore infrastructure industry. Proceedings of the 11th Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems (SCIS2020).
- (2018) Sirius: Collaboration across the digital divides in the oil and gas supply chain. Practitioners Proceedings of the 2018 University-Industry Interaction Conference: Challenges and Solutions for Fostering Entrepreneurial Universities and Collaborative Innovation.
- (2018) Quantifying quality: Towards a Post-Humanist Perspective on Sensemaking. Living with Monsters? Social Implications of Algorithmic Phenomena, Hybrid Agency, and the Performativity of Technology. IS&O 2018. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol 543. Springer, Cham.