Background and activities
I am concerned with understanding and conceptualizing how organizations make the transition to a digital age, with particular interest in how the nature of work and organizing transforms as new digital technologies are introduced in the workplace; how services and products transforms when they are digitalized; and how existing industrial structures shape the way organizations individually and collectively make use of new digital technologies.
In approaching these topics, I draw upon a combination of theoretical resources from organization science, computing, as well as science and technology studies. I pursue these research interests through in-depth empirical studies in close collaboration with organizations across sectors and industries.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Synthetic situations in the internet of things. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 489.
- (2014) Situated with Infrastructures: Interactivity and Entanglement in Sensor Data Interpretation. Journal of the AIS. vol. 15 (5).
- (2014) Prosjektdynamikk og innovasjonsutfordringer i store forskningssentre. Magma - Tidsskrift for økonomi og ledelse. vol. 17 (8).
- (2012) Punctuation and extrapolation: representing a subsurface oil reservoir. Journal of experimental and theoretical artificial intelligence (Print). vol. 24 (3).
- (2012) Co-materialization: Digital Innovation Dynamics in the Offshore Petroleum Industry. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2012) On Countering Methods Erosion: Contributing towards Stronger and More Empirically Grounded Information Systems Theory. Proceedings of the Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. vol. 45.
- (2012) Dual materiality and knowing in petroleum production. Information and organization. vol. 22 (2).
- (2010) Manufacturing Accomplices: ICT Use in Securing the Safety State at Airports. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 318.
- (2007) Open Source Software: A Source of Possibilities for Software Engineering Education and Empirical Software Engineering. Proceedings / International Conference of Software Engineering.
- (2007) Debugging Integrated Systems: An Ethnographic Study of Debugging Practice. Proceedings / International Conferense on Software Maintenance.
- (2006) Producing and Interpreting Debug Texts. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. vol. 203.
- (2005) Can we teach empirical software engineering?. Proceedings of the IEEE International Software Metrics Symposium (METRICS). vol. 11.
- (2004) Community of Practice versus Practice of the Community: Knowing in Collaborative Work. ICFAI Journal of Knowledge Management. vol. 2 (4).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Chapter 13 – Risk Metrics and Dynamic Risk Visualization. Dynamic Risk Analysis in the Chemical and Petroleum Industry.
- (2014) Begrepsfesting og teoriutvikling i grounded theory: et organisasjonsfaglig perspektiv. Innføring i grounded theory.
- (2013) Synergistic collaboration: Responsibility and authority in multilateral research and development. XXIV ISPIM Conference. Innovating in Global Markets: Challenges for Sustainable Growth.
- (2010) Security Cynicism: Travellers' Experience of Security in Encountering Airport Security. Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference on ICT, Society and Human Beings 2010.
- (2009) An Empirical Study on Selection of Open Source Software - Preliminary Results. Proceedings of the 2009 ICSE Workshop on Emerging Trends in Free/Libre/Open Source Software Research and Development (FLOSS 2009).
- (2008) Understanding open source in an industrial context. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal Image Technology & Internet Based Systems.
- (2007) The critical triangle: Getting started doing critical IS research. Proceedings NOKOBIT 2007.