Background and activities
Professor Tybell has ~15 years of experience in oxide electronics materials science, and is co-directing the oxide electronics group at Department of Electronics and Telecommunications. He is deputy director of Department of Electronics and Telecommunications with responsibility for research.
Tybell has solid experience in administration and scientific leadership via project and work package leadership for external grants, responsibility to direct and develop a cross-disciplinary nanotechnology effort at NTNU, developing a new 5-year curriculum for the MSc study program Electronics at NTNU, and taking part in external scientific evaluation and task force committees.
The main research interest of Prof. Tybell is synthesis and nanostructuring of epitaxial complex oxide thin film heterostructures and superlattices. Present research includes interface engineering of ferroelectric and magnetic systems. Currently he is focusing on how symmetry, defects and structural distortions affect functional interfaces, and properties such as charge transport, ferroelectricity and magnetism. His research is to a large extent collaborative, including recent collaboration with groups in United States, Japan, Sweden, and Norway.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Emergent premises in student experiences of a first-year electrical engineering course. European Journal of Engineering Education.
- (2020) Electrochemically driven degradation of chemical solution deposited ferroelectric thin-films in humid ambient. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 127.
- (2020) Controlling spin current polarization through non-collinear antiferromagnetism. Nature Communications. vol. 11:4671.
- (2020) Enhanced magnetic signal along edges of embedded epitaxial La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 nanostructures. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 521 (1).
- (2019) Synthesis and characterization of (111)-oriented BaTiO3 thin films. Materials Research Express. vol. 6 (5).
- (2019) Thickness dependent uniaxial magnetic anisotropy due to step-edges in (1 1 1)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 487.
- (2019) Three-dimensional subnanoscale imaging of unit cell doubling due to octahedral tilting and cation modulation in strained perovskite thin films. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 3 (6).
- (2019) Coexisting spin-flop coupling and exchange bias in LaFeO3/La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 heterostructures. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 99 (13).
- (2019) Epitaxial K0.5Na0.5NbO3 thin films by aqueous chemical solution deposition. Royal Society Open Science. vol. 6 (1).
- (2019) Magneto-dynamic properties of complex oxide—La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3— heterostructure interface. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 114 (22).
- (2019) Bi vacancy formation in BiFeO3 epitaxial thin films under compressive (001)-strain from first principles. Journal of Materials Chemistry C. vol. 7 (16).
- (2018) Magnetic domain formation in ultrathin complex oxide ferromagnetic/antiferromagnetic bilayers. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 113 (13).
- (2018) Effect of (111)-oriented strain on the structure and magnetic properties of La2/3Sr1/3MnO3 thin films. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 30 (25).
- (2018) Performance and reliability of PZT-based piezoelectric micromirrors operated in realistic environments. 2018 IEEE ISAF-FMA-AMF-AMEC-PFM Joint Conference (IFAAP), Hiroshima, Japan, 27 May-1 June 2018.
- (2018) The role of antiferromagnetic spin axis on magnetic reconstructions at the (111)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/ LaFeO3 interface. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 2 (8).
- (2018) Goldstone-like phonon modes in a (111)-strained perovskite. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 2.
- (2018) Octahedral coupling in (111)- and (001)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3 heterostructures. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 124.
- (2018) Oxygen vacancies in the bulk and at neutral domain walls in hexagonal YMnO3. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 98 (18).
- (2018) Socialization and Curriculum Integration: Emergent premises in student experiences of a first-year electrical engineering course. Proceedings of the 46th SEFI Annual Conference.
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2017) Teoriforståing og identitetsbygging gjennom praktisk designarbeid. MNT-konferansen 2017 . Universitets- og høgskolerådet, UHR ved fagstrategiske enhet; Oslo. 2017-03-30 - 2017-03-31.
- (2017) First-principles study of the effect of (111) strain on octahedral rotations and structural phases of LaAlO3. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 95:064109 (6).
- (2017) Strain-phonon coupling in (111)-oriented perovskite oxides. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 96:094109.
- (2017) Spatially Confined Spin Polarization and magnetic sublattice control in (La,Sr)MnO3−δ Thin Films by Oxygen Vacancy Ordering. Scientific Reports. vol. 7 (1).
- (2017) Atomap: a new software tool for the automated analysis of atomic resolution images using two-dimensional Gaussian fitting. Advanced Structural and Chemical Imaging. vol. 3 (9).
- (2017) Twinned-domain-induced magnonic modes in epitaxial LSMO/STO films. New Journal of Physics. vol. 19 (6).
- (2016) Thickness and temperature dependence of the magnetodynamic damping of pulsed laser deposited La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 on (111)-oriented SrTiO3. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 420.
- (2016) Concurrent magnetic and structural reconstructions at the interface of (111)-oriented L a0.7 S r0.3Mn O3/LaFe O3. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 94 (20).
- (2016) Effect of polar (111)-oriented SrTiO3 on initial perovskite growth. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 16.
- (2016) Teaching Freshmen Engineering Communication. Proceedings of the 11th European Workshop on Microelectronics Education (EWME 2016).
- (2016) Early Innovation Projects: First Experiences from the Electronic Engineering Ladder at NTNU. Proceedings of the 12th International CDIO Conference.
- (2016) Assessing electron beam sensitivity for SrTiO3 and La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 using electron energy loss spectroscopy. Ultramicroscopy. vol. 169.
- (2016) Interstitial oxygen as a source of p-type conductivity in hexagonal manganites. Nature Communications. vol. 7.