Tone Pernille Østern
Background and activities
Tone Pernille Østern, with a Dr. of Arts in Dance from the University of the Arts Helsinki, Theatre Academy, is a Professor in Arts Education with a focus on Dance at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology. She also holds a position as Visiting Professor in Dance Education in Contemporary Contexts at Stockholm University of the Arts. She is active as Artist/Researcher/Teacher, with a special interest in socially engaged art, dance in dialogue with contemporary contexts, choreographic processes, performative research, inclusive and critical pedagogies, and bodily learning. Practice-led research, ARTography and Educational Design Research have been important approaches in her research. Since year 2000 she is part of Inclusive Dance Company, which she co-funded with Arnhild Staal Pettersen and Luis Della Mea (https://www.dance-company.no; https://www.dance-company.no/tone-pernille-ostern). She supervises master and PhD students in Norway and abroad. She has extensive leadership experience as Head of Arts, Media and Physical Education in 2010-2016 and Head of Arts, Physical Education and Sports in 2017-2021 at Department for Teacher Education, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and as Creative Leader for Inclusive Dance Company since 2001 (ongoing).
Østern, T.P. (2009). Meaning-making in the Dance Laboratory. Exploring Dance Improvisation with Differently Bodied Dancers. (Diss.) Helsinki: Theatre Academy. Download: https://actascenica.teak.fi/lectio/tone-pernille-ostern-lectio/
Decolonizing tertiary dance education. Time to act. Video documentation of the conference April 7-8, 2022 at Stockholm University of the Arts and Makerere University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsNrtyv_is
The Different Bodies Lab documentary (2022) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AvdG2vXT5k about difference as a value in arts and society, produced by Cédric Audinot for Scenekunstbruket/Norway, Imaginate/Scotland, Aaben Dans/Denmark, Krokusfestival/Belgium and The Ark/Ireland.
2022- Program Leader for the Master Program in Education at Department for Teacher Education, NTNU
2017-21 Head of Arts, Physical Education and Sports, Department for Teacher Education, NTNU.
2010-16 Head of Arts, Media and Sports Teaching and Learning, Program for Teacher Education, NTNU.
Study program coordinatorship
2011-20 Coordinator of the Master’s Program in Arts Education. Program for Teacher Education, NTNU.
2021-23 Research partner pARTiciPED: Empowering student teachers for cross-sectorial collaborations with The Cultural Schoolbag (TCS) in Norwegian Schools. Funded by Research Council Norway. Project leader Kristien Høeg Karlsen / Østfold University College.https://www.hiof.no/lu/english/research/projects/participed/
2020-22 Change project expert committee member at Stockholm University of the Arts, with the mandate to “develop the BA in Dance Pedagogy in a way that is relevant and current, based in an analysis of the local and global world from contemporary, societal perspectives».
2015- Editor-in-chief for Dance Articulated. ISSN: 2703-8327. https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/ps
2020- Editorial Board member JASEd – Journal of Research in Arts and Sports Education. ISSN: 2535-2857.https://www.springer.com/series/6199
The most recently completed master supervision
2022 Master thesis in Primary Teacher Education 1.-7., Arts & Crafts, NTNU, by Helene Trælnes. Co-supervisor: Stein Erik Grønningsæter. «Didaktisk design for motivasjon og mestring i kunst og håndverk med teknikken Pouring Paint i akrylmaling. En kvalitativ studie om utvikling av didaktisk design i kunst og håndverk."
The most recently completed PhD supervision
2020 Dr. Ingrid Bjørkøy at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology and DMMH Queen Maud University College of Early Childhood Education, Norway, with the thesis Sang som performativ for samspill i småbarnspedagogisk praksis. Main supervisor: Tone Pernille Østern (NTNU). Co-supervisor: Kristian Nødtvedt Knudsen (Agder University).
- DID3911 - Master thesis in arts education with creative practice
- MGLU5219 - Arts Education Research
- PPU4550 - Education in Teaching Dance, Drama and Theater - Part Time
- LOS8033 - Doing Research with the Arts as Methodological Practice
- PPU4251 - Education: Teaching Drama and Theater - Full Time
- PPU4551 - Education: Teaching Drama and Theater - Part Time
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) A performative paradigm for post-qualitative inquiry. Qualitative Research.
- (2021) Future designs of tertiary dance education: Scanning the field for decolonizing potentials in a major change project at the Department for Dance Pedagogy at Stockholm University of the Arts. Journal for Research in Arts and Sports Education. vol. 5 (4).
- (2021) Kroppslig læring - perspektiver og praksiser. Universitetsforlaget. 2021. ISBN 978-82-15-04370-8.
- (2019) Dybde//læring - en flerfaglig, relasjonell og skapende tilnærming. Universitetsforlaget. 2019. ISBN 978-82-15-02972-6.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Towards Just Dance Research. An uMunthu Participatory and Performative Inquiry Into Malawian–Norwegian Entanglements. Arts-Based Methods for Decolonising Participatory Research.
- (2021) Forekomst og forståelser av kroppslig læring i norskspråklig forskning. Kroppslig læring - perspektiver og praksiser.
- (2022) Different Bodies Lab Documentary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AvdG2vXT5k). Film documentary [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . Scenekunstbruket/Norway, Imaginate/Scotland, Aaben Dans/Denmark, Krokusfestival/Belgium and The Ark/Ireland; Online / Youtube. 2022-03-01.
- (2022) Insectography - with insects as choreographic wonder partners in education in the antropocene. 11th World Environmental Education Congress Building Bridges in Times of Climate Urgency . World Environmental Education Congress & Masaryk University; Praha. 2022-03-14 - 2022-03-18.