Tone Pernille Østern
Background and activities
Tone Pernille Østern, with a Dr. of Arts in Dance from the University of the Arts Helsinki, Theatre Academy, is a Professor in Arts Education with a focus on Dance at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology. She also holds a position as Visiting Professor in Dance Education in Contemporary Contexts at Stockholm University of the Arts. She is active as Artist/Researcher/Teacher, with a special interest in socially engaged art, dance in dialogue with contemporary contexts, choreographic processes, performative research, inclusive and critical pedagogies, and bodily learning. Practice-led research, ARTography and Educational Design Research have been important approaches in her research. Since year 2000 she is part of Inclusive Dance Company, which she co-funded with Arnhild Staal Pettersen and Luis Della Mea (https://www.dance-company.no; https://www.dance-company.no/tone-pernille-ostern). She supervises master and PhD students in Norway and abroad. She has extensive leadership experience as Head of Arts, Media and Physical Education in 2010-2016 and Head of Arts, Physical Education and Sports in 2017-2021 at Department for Teacher Education, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and as Creative Leader for Inclusive Dance Company since 2001 (ongoing).
Østern, T.P. (2009). Meaning-making in the Dance Laboratory. Exploring Dance Improvisation with Differently Bodied Dancers. (Diss.) Helsinki: Theatre Academy. Download: https://actascenica.teak.fi/lectio/tone-pernille-ostern-lectio/
2017-21 Head of Arts, Physical Education and Sports, Department for Teacher Education, NTNU.
2010-16 Head of Arts, Media and Sports Teaching and Learning, Program for Teacher Education, NTNU.
Study program coordinatorship
2011-20 Coordinator of the Master’s Program in Arts Education. Program for Teacher Education, NTNU.
2021-24 International resarch partner ELLA (Embodied language learning through the arts). Funded by the KONE foundation. Project leader: Eeva Anttila, University of the Arts Helsinki. https://www.uniarts.fi/en/projects/embodied-language-learning-through-the-arts-ella/
2021-23 Research partner pARTiciPED: Empowering student teachers for cross-sectorial collaborations with The Cultural Schoolbag (TCS) in Norwegian Schools. Funded by Research Council Norway. Project leader Kristien Høeg Karlsen / Østfold University College.https://www.hiof.no/lu/english/research/projects/participed/
2020-22 Change project expert committee member at Stockholm University of the Arts, with the mandate to “develop the BA in Dance Pedagogy in a way that is relevant and current, based in an analysis of the local and global world from contemporary, societal perspectives».
2019-20 Expert member in the national curriculum renewal committee for the study program Dance at Upper Secondary School level 2 and 3, appointed by The Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training.
2019-20 Expert member in the national curriculum renewal committee for the study program Music, dance, drama at Upper Secondary School level 1, appointed by The Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training.
2015- Editor-in-chief for Dance Articulated. ISSN: 2703-8327. (Previously På Spissen Forskning). https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/ps
2020- Editorial Board member Landscapes: Aesthetics/Arts Education Series (Springer). ISSN: 1573-4528. https://jased.net/index.php/jased
2020- Editorial Board member JASEd – Journal of Research in Arts and Sports Education. ISSN: 2535-2857.https://www.springer.com/series/6199
Editor for special issues in peer-reviewed journals
Rouhiainen, L. & Østern, T.P. (Eds.) (2020). Vol. 6 No. 1 (2020): Dance Articulated, Special Issue, Choreography now. https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/ps/issue/view/338
Østern, T.P. & Engelsrud, G. (2019). På Spissen forskning, Special Issue: Bodily learning. (3 issues) https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/ps/issue/view/348; https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/ps/issue/view/349; https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/ps/issue/view/350
The most recently completed master supervisions
2021 Main supervisor for Master Thesis in Arts Education, by Martine Grønnum, NTNU.
2021 Main supervisor for Master Thesis in Arts Education, by Hilde Brørs, NTNU.
The most recently completed PhD supervisions
2020 Dr. Sofia Jusslin at Åbo Academy University, Finland with the thesis Dancing/Reading/Writing: Performative Potentials of Intra-Active Teaching Pedagogies Expanding Literacy Education. Main supervisor: Ria Heilä-Ylikallio (Abo Akademi University). Co-supervisor: Tone Pernille Østern (NTNU).
2020 Dr. Ingrid Bjørkøy at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology and DMMH Queen Maud University College of Early Childhood Education, Norway, with the thesis Sang som performativ for samspill i småbarnspedagogisk praksis. Main supervisor: Tone Pernille Østern (NTNU). Co-supervisor: Kristian Nødtvedt Knudsen (Agder University).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) ‘We put on the music and then the children dance’ - Swedish preschool teachers’ dance educational experiences. Research in Dance Education.
- (2021) A performative paradigm for post-qualitative inquiry. Qualitative Research.
- (2020) Why choreography now?. På Spissen.
- (2019) Kunst, kunstpedagogikk og menneskerettigheter som motstand mot hatefulle ytringer og rasisme på kunstfeltet. På Spissen.
- (2021) Kroppslig læring - perspektiver og praksiser. Universitetsforlaget. 2021. ISBN 978-82-15-04370-8.
- (2019) Dybde//læring - en flerfaglig, relasjonell og skapende tilnærming. Universitetsforlaget. 2019. ISBN 978-82-15-02972-6.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Towards Just Dance Research. An uMunthu Participatory and Performative Inquiry Into Malawian–Norwegian Entanglements. Arts-Based Methods for Decolonising Participatory Research.
- (2021) Forekomst og forståelser av kroppslig læring i norskspråklig forskning. Kroppslig læring - perspektiver og praksiser.
- (2021) The teacher-body as a dramaturgical axis for composing a lesson. Teaching and learning through dramaturgy Education as an artful engagement.
- (2020) Choreography as Poetic, Pedagogical, and Political Action in Contemporary Times. Art as an Agent for Social Change.
- (2019) Water competence and new Norwegians. The Nordic Model and Physical Culture.
- (2021) Keynote: Varför är dans ett eget ämne i grundskolan i Nya Zeeland, men inte i Norden? – Om dansens (oförlösta) potential som kroppsligt lärande och relationell konstform i skolan. Webbinaret "Dans i skolan" . Regionala danscentret i Österbotten / Åbo Akademi University; Webbinar / Åbo Akademi University / Finland. 2021-04-29 - 2021-04-29.
- (2021) Paper presentation: The body as enemy or friend in upper secondary dance education?. Bodily Learning Conference 2021 . NTNU; Virtual conference on zoom. 2021-04-22 - 2021-04-23.
- (2018) VIBRA - video interaksjon bevegelse rom audio - visning. VIBRA visning [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . VIBRA v/ Andreas Bergsland; Verkstedhallen, Trondheim. 2018-05-15 - 2018-05-15.
- (2018) VIBRA - Video Lyd Bevegelse Rom Audio. Workshop og visning [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . VIBRA v/ Andreas Bergsland; DansiT Senter for dansekunst i Trondheim og Midt-Norge. 2018-03-16 - 2018-03-16.