Background and activities
Area of Work
- TEP4120 Engineering Thermodynamics
- TEP4215 Energy and Process / Process Integration
- NTNU coordinator for HighEFF (2016-2024)
- Coordinator for NTNU-MIT collaboration (2013-2016)
- Efficient use of energy in the process industries
- Low temperature processes (ASU, LNG)
- Design methodology for industrial plants and power stations based on (1) Pinch Analysis, (2) Exergy Analysis, and (3) Mathematical Optimization
Skills and Expertise
- Design and optimization of heat exchanger networks
- Thermodynamics, including Pinch Analysis and Eksergy Analysis
- Process Optimization
- MSc in Physics, NTNU, 1978
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, NTNU, 1982
- Norsk Hydro Research Centre, Porsgrunn, 1981-1993
- Telemark Institute of Technology (Professor), Porsgrunn, 1993-1996
- NTNU, Department of Energy and Process Engineering, 1996-present
- Running - from 1500 m to marathon =:-)
- Music - but lack of time =:-(
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Work and heat integration: An emerging research area. Energy. vol. 158.
- (2018) Optimal cryogenic processes for nitrogen rejection from natural gas. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 112.
- (2018) Recovery of cold energy from liquefied natural gas regasification: Applications beyond power cycles. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 174.
- (2018) Development and use of exergy efficiency for complex cryogenic processes. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 171.
- (2018) Conceptual design of an efficient Hydrogen production process from Natural Gas using an extension to the “G-H” methodology. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 44.
- (2018) Versatile Simulation Method for Complex Single Mixed Refrigerant Natural Gas Liquefaction Processes. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (17).
- (2018) Optimization of single mixed-refrigerant natural gas liquefaction processes described by nondifferentiable models. Energy. vol. 150.
- (2018) Process optimization and working fluid mixture design for organic Rankine cycles (ORCs) recovering compression heat in oxy-combustion power plants. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 175.
- (2018) Work and Heat Exchange Networks – Opportunities and Challenges. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 11.
- (2018) Identifying optimal thermodynamic paths in work and heat exchange network synthesis. AIChE Journal.
- (2018) Process integration of organic Rankine cycle (ORC) and heat pump for low temperature waste heat recovery. Energy. vol. 160.
- (2017) Challenges in work and heat integration. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Constraint formulations for optimisation of dual mixed refrigerant LNG processes. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Towards the use of mathematical optimization for work and heat exchange networks. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2017) Reliable Flash Calculations: Part 2. Process Flowsheeting with Nonsmooth Models and Generalized Derivatives. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 56 (50).
- (2017) Reliable flash calculations: Part 1. Nonsmooth inside-out algorithms. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 56 (4).
- (2017) Review of work Exchange Networks (WENs) and work and Heat Exchange Networks (WHENs). Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 61.
- (2016) A new paradigm in process synthesis focus on design of power plants and industrial processes integrated with CO2 capture. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 38.
- (2016) Impact of problem formulation on LNG process optimization. AIChE Journal. vol. 62 (10).
- (2016) A novel sensible heat pump Scheme for industrial heat recovery. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 55 (4).