Background and activities
Area of Work
- TEP4120 Engineering Thermodynamics
- TEP4215 Energy and Process / Process Integration
- NTNU coordinator for HighEFF (2016-2024)
- Coordinator for NTNU-MIT collaboration (2013-2016)
- Efficient use of energy in the process industries
- Low temperature processes (ASU, LNG)
- Design methodology for industrial plants and power stations based on (1) Pinch Analysis, (2) Exergy Analysis, and (3) Mathematical Optimization
Skills and Expertise
- Design and optimization of heat exchanger networks
- Thermodynamics, including Pinch Analysis and Eksergy Analysis
- Process Optimization
- MSc in Physics, NTNU, 1978
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, NTNU, 1982
- Norsk Hydro Research Centre, Porsgrunn, 1981-1993
- Telemark Institute of Technology (Professor), Porsgrunn, 1993-1996
- NTNU, Department of Energy and Process Engineering, 1996-present
- Running - from 1500 m to marathon =:-)
- Music - but lack of time =:-(
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Optimal design and operation of a waste tire feedstock polygeneration system. Energy. vol. 223.
- (2021) At what Pressure Shall CO2 Be Transported by Ship? An in-Depth Cost Comparison of 7 and 15 Barg Shipping. Energies. vol. 14 (18).
- (2021) A multi-objective optimization method for industrial park layout design: The trade-off between economy and safety. Chemical Engineering Science (CES). vol. 235.
- (2021) Optimal liquified natural gas (LNG) cold energy utilization in an Allam cycle power plant with carbon capture and storage. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 228.
- (2020) The importance of thermodynamic insight in Work and Heat Exchange Network Design. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 81.
- (2020) Simulation-based approach for integrating work within heat exchange networks for sub-ambient processes. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 203.
- (2020) Use of exergy efficiency for the optimization of LNG processes with NGL extraction. Energy. vol. 197.
- (2020) Multi-component Fluid Cycles in Liquid Air Energy Storage. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 81.
- (2020) Optimization of Liquid Air Energy Storage (LAES) using a Genetic Algorithm (GA). Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 48.
- (2020) Technoeconomic analysis of a waste tire to liquefied synthetic natural gas (SNG) energy system. Energy. vol. 205.
- (2020) Optimization of a dual mixed refrigerant process using a nonsmooth approach. Energy. vol. 196.
- (2020) A layout design method for an industrial park based on a novel arrangement algorithm – Consideration of pipe network and multiple hazard sources. Chemical Engineering Science (CES). vol. 227.
- (2020) Work Exchange Networks (WENs) and Work and Heat Exchange Networks (WHENs): A review of the current state of the art. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 59 (2).
- (2019) A novel cost-effective silica membrane-based process for helium extraction from natural gas. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 121.
- (2019) Optimization of helium extraction processes integrated with nitrogen removal units: A comparative study. Computers and Chemical Engineering.
- (2019) Process design and economic optimization of boil-off-gas re-liquefaction systems for LNG carriers. Energy. vol. 173.
- (2019) Nonsmooth Formulation for Handling Unclassified Process Streams in the Optimization of Work and Heat Exchange Networks. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 58 (22).
- (2019) A study of working fluids for Organic Rankine Cycles (ORCs) operating across and below ambient temperature to utilize Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) cold energy. Energy. vol. 167.
- (2019) Organic Rankine Cycle with Pure and Mixed Working Fluids for LNG Cold Energy Recovery. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 76.
- (2019) Model reformulations for Work and Heat Exchange Network (WHEN) synthesis problems. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 125.