Background and activities
Professor Tybell has ~15 years of experience in oxide electronics materials science, and is co-directing the oxide electronics group at Department of Electronics and Telecommunications. He is deputy director of Department of Electronics and Telecommunications with responsibility for research.
Tybell has solid experience in administration and scientific leadership via project and work package leadership for external grants, responsibility to direct and develop a cross-disciplinary nanotechnology effort at NTNU, developing a new 5-year curriculum for the MSc study program Electronics at NTNU, and taking part in external scientific evaluation and task force committees.
The main research interest of Prof. Tybell is synthesis and nanostructuring of epitaxial complex oxide thin film heterostructures and superlattices. Present research includes interface engineering of ferroelectric and magnetic systems. Currently he is focusing on how symmetry, defects and structural distortions affect functional interfaces, and properties such as charge transport, ferroelectricity and magnetism. His research is to a large extent collaborative, including recent collaboration with groups in United States, Japan, Sweden, and Norway.
Please go to Oxide Electronics Group for more information on research and publications.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Electrochemically driven degradation of chemical solution deposited ferroelectric thin-films in humid ambient. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 127.
- (2020) Controlling spin current polarization through non-collinear antiferromagnetism. Nature Communications. vol. 11:4671.
- (2019) Synthesis and characterization of (111)-oriented BaTiO3 thin films. Materials Research Express. vol. 6 (5).
- (2019) Thickness dependent uniaxial magnetic anisotropy due to step-edges in (1 1 1)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 487.
- (2019) Three-dimensional subnanoscale imaging of unit cell doubling due to octahedral tilting and cation modulation in strained perovskite thin films. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 3 (6).
- (2019) Coexisting spin-flop coupling and exchange bias in LaFeO3/La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 heterostructures. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 99 (13).
- (2019) Epitaxial K0.5Na0.5NbO3 thin films by aqueous chemical solution deposition. Royal Society Open Science. vol. 6 (1).
- (2019) Magneto-dynamic properties of complex oxide—La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3— heterostructure interface. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 114 (22).
- (2019) Bi vacancy formation in BiFeO3 epitaxial thin films under compressive (001)-strain from first principles. Journal of Materials Chemistry C. vol. 7 (16).
- (2018) Magnetic domain formation in ultrathin complex oxide ferromagnetic/antiferromagnetic bilayers. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 113 (13).
- (2018) Effect of (111)-oriented strain on the structure and magnetic properties of La2/3Sr1/3MnO3 thin films. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 30 (25).
- (2018) The role of antiferromagnetic spin axis on magnetic reconstructions at the (111)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/ LaFeO3 interface. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 2 (8).
- (2018) Goldstone-like phonon modes in a (111)-strained perovskite. PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS. vol. 2.
- (2018) Octahedral coupling in (111)- and (001)-oriented La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3 heterostructures. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 124.
- (2018) Oxygen vacancies in the bulk and at neutral domain walls in hexagonal YMnO3. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 98 (18).
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2017) First-principles study of the effect of (111) strain on octahedral rotations and structural phases of LaAlO3. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 95:064109 (6).
- (2017) Strain-phonon coupling in (111)-oriented perovskite oxides. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 96:094109.
- (2017) Spatially Confined Spin Polarization and magnetic sublattice control in (La,Sr)MnO3−δ Thin Films by Oxygen Vacancy Ordering. Scientific Reports. vol. 7 (1).
- (2017) Atomap - Automated Analysis of Atomic Resolution STEM Images. Microscopy and Microanalysis. vol. 23.
- (2017) Atomap: a new software tool for the automated analysis of atomic resolution images using two-dimensional Gaussian fitting. Advanced Structural and Chemical Imaging. vol. 3 (9).
- (2017) Twinned-domain-induced magnonic modes in epitaxial LSMO/STO films. New Journal of Physics. vol. 19 (6).
- (2016) Thickness and temperature dependence of the magnetodynamic damping of pulsed laser deposited La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 on (111)-oriented SrTiO3. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 420.
- (2016) Concurrent magnetic and structural reconstructions at the interface of (111)-oriented L a0.7 S r0.3Mn O3/LaFe O3. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 94 (20).
- (2016) Effect of polar (111)-oriented SrTiO3 on initial perovskite growth. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 16.
- (2016) Assessing electron beam sensitivity for SrTiO3 and La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 using electron energy loss spectroscopy. Ultramicroscopy. vol. 169.
- (2016) Interstitial oxygen as a source of p-type conductivity in hexagonal manganites. Nature Communications. vol. 7.
- (2015) Controlling the switching field in nanomagnets by means of domain-engineered antiferromagnets. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 92 (9).
- (2015) Crystalline symmetry controlled magnetic switching in epitaxial (111) La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films. APL Materials. vol. 3 (6).
- (2015) Point contact investigations of film and interface magnetoresistance of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 heterostructures on Nb:SrTiO3. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 374.
- (2015) Structural phases driven by oxygen vacancies at the La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3 hetero-interface. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 106 (4).
- (2014) Thickness dependence of dynamic and static magnetic properties of pulsed laser deposited La(0.7)Sr(0.3)MnO(3)films on SrTiO(3)(001). Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 369.
- (2013) In-plane structural order of domain engineered La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 93 (13).
- (2013) Surface stability of epitaxial La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films on (111)-oriented SrTiO3. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 113 (18).
- (2013) Spin-Flop Coupling and Exchange Bias in Embedded Complex Oxide Micromagnets. Physical Review Letters. vol. 111 (10).
- (2012) Surface stoichiometry of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 during in vacuo preparation; A synchrotron photoemission study. Surface Science. vol. 606 (17-18).
- (2012) Sub-bandgap photocurrent effects on dynamic pyroelectric measurement in Pt/PbTiO3/Nb:SrTiO3 heterostructures. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 112 (1).
- (2012) Consequences of High Adatom Energy during Pulsed Laser Deposition of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 12 (2).
- (2012) Qualitative determination of surface roughness by in situ reflection high energy electron diffraction. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 100 (15).
- (2012) Crossover from spin-flop coupling to collinear spin alignment in antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic thin film nanostructures. Nano letters (Print). vol. 12 (5).
- (2012) Surface stoichiometry of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 during in vacuo preparation; A synchrotron photoemission study. Surface Science. vol. 606 (17).
- (2012) Synthesis of epitaxial multiferroic oxide thin films. Multifunctional Oxide Heterostructures.