Background and activities
Ute Gabriel holds a doctorate in psychology from Technische Universität Berlin (Germany; graduated in 1998), and a habilitation degree from Universität Bern (Switzerland; graduated in 2005). In her career, she held research positions at Universität Bonn (Germany; 1993-1995) and at Kriminologisches Forschungsinstitutt Hannover (Germany; 1995-1998) before taking a position as lecturer, and later senior lecturer, at Universität Bern (Switzerland; 1998-2006). She joined NTNU in 2006 as a professor in the Department of Psychology. She was Deputy Head of Department from 2010 to 2013, and became the Head of Department in 2017.
Her research foci have been in social psychology, and in psychology and law. She has served as Guest Editor for the Swiss Journal of Psychology, and as Associate Editor for the European Journal of Social Psychology. She has received grants from the Swiss National Foundation, the EU’s 7th Framework Programme (Marie Curie ITN), and the Norwegian Research Council (FriPro), among others.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Exploring the onset of a male-biased interpretation of masculine generics among French speaking kindergarten children. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2019) Stimulus-Response Compatibility: The Role of Category Structure. International Convention of Psychological Science . Association for Psychological Science; Paris. 2019-03-07 - 2019-03-09.
- (2019) Word-to-image priming of gender information: Beyond binary response designs. Tagung Experimentell arbeitender Psychologen . London Metropolitan University; London. 2019-04-15 - 2019-04-17.
- (2018) Neutralising linguistic sexism: Promising but cumbersome?. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations. vol. 21 (5).
- (2018) PsyToolkit: Testing the replicability of web-based results in a laboratory setting. Tagung experimentell arbeitender Psychologen . Philipps Universität; Marburg. 2018-03-11 - 2018-03-14.
- (2018) Structural similarities between response categories and response layout facilitate processing of overlapping categories. Tagung experimentell arbeitender Psychologen . Philipps Universität; Marburg. 2018-03-11 - 2018-03-14.
- (2017) Is Saying “No” to a Request a Subtle Form of Discrimination Against Lesbians and Gay Men? A Fresh Look at Old Findings. Intergroup Helping.
- (2017) Social-cognitive correlates of cross-linguistic variation in genderisation. International Scientific Workshop on Experimental Studies of Language and Speech. Bilingualism and Multilingualism (E-SoLaS) . Tomsk State University; Tomsk. 2017-10-09 - 2017-10-10.
- (2017) Speech vs. reading comprehension: an explorative study of gender representations in Norwegian. Journal of Cognitive Psychology. vol. 29 (7).
- (2017) Possible effects of cross-linguistic variations in level of genderisation on social perception. 1st International Symposium on Intergroup Communication ; 2017-06-21 - 2017-06-23.
- (2017) Are gender biases driven by language? Sentence to image priming in French, Norwegian and Finnish. 1st International Symposium on Intergroup Communication ; 2017-06-21 - 2017-06-23.
- (2017) Grammaticalization of gender and face categorization: Sentence to image priming in French, Norwegian and Finnish. ESCON - Transfer of Knowledge Conference ; Gdansk. 2017-08-23 - 2017-08-27.
- (2017) Assessing the impact of gender grammaticization on thought: A psychological and psycholinguistic perspective. OBST 90: Sprache und Geschlecht. Band 1: Sprachpolitiken und Grammatik.
- (2016) Inference of Gender in Language Comprehension. Experimental Studies of Language and Speech: Traditions and Innovations (E-SoLaS) . Tomsk State University; Tomsk. 2016-03-17 - 2016-03-19.
- (2016) Text comprehension and production: A social psychological perspective. Eye-tracking Lab research meeting . University of Turku; Turku. 2016-11-25 - 2016-11-25.
- (2016) Measuring response times using three response alternatives in a decision task. Tagung experimentell arbeitender Psychologen (TeaP) 2016 . Universität Heidelberg; Heidelberg. 2016-03-21 - 2016-03-23.
- (2016) Gender and Linguistic Sexism. Advances in Intergroup Communication.
- (2016) Stereotype or grammar? the representation of gender when two-year-old and three-year-old French-speaking toddlers listen to role nouns. Journal of Child Language. vol. 43 (6).
- (2016) Altering male-dominant representations: A study on nominalized adjectives and participles in first and second language German. Journal of language and social psychology. vol. 35 (6).
- (2016) Gauging the impact of gender grammaticization in different languages: Application of a linguistic-visual paradigm. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2015) Listening vs. Reading Comprehension in Norwegian: The mental representation of gender. Språkdagen . Institutt for språk og litteratur - NTNU; 2015-02-06 - 2015-02-06.
- (2015) Warm-hearted businessmen, competitive housewives? Effects of gender-fair language on adolescents’ perceptions of occupations. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 6.
- (2014) How immigrant students’ self-views at school relate to different patterns of first and second language use. Social Psychology of Education. vol. 17 (4).
- (2014) Punitive reactions to deviant behaviour. Driven by or detached from anger?. Kriminologie ist Gesellschaftswissenschaft. Festschrift für Christian Pfeiffer zum 70. Geburtstag.
- (2014) Intergroup relations and language development: Norwegian students’ friendships with non-Scandinavian students. NTNU’s Diversity Conference . NTNU; 2014-09-16 - 2014-09-17.
- (2014) Actual and potential gender-fair language use: The role of language competence and the motivation to use accurate language. Journal of language and social psychology. vol. 33 (2).
- (2014) Lexically gender-marked role nouns in Norwegian: Effect of prevalent and presented form on readers' recall. 17th General Meeting of European Association of Social Psychology ; Amsterdam. 2014-07-08 - 2014-07-12.
- (2014) Fostering the generic interpretation of grammatically masculine forms: When my aunt could be one of the mechanics. Journal of Cognitive Psychology. vol. 26 (1).
- (2014) Er jeg en annen than I am? Bilingual students’ language dependent access of cognitive and affective self-knowledge. NTNU Språkdagen ; Trondheim. 2014-02-07.
- (2014) Norms on the gender perception of role nouns in Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, and Slovak. Behavior Research Methods. vol. 46 (3).