Hilde Johnsen Venvik
Background and activities
Professor Hilde J. Venvik is since 2015 Director of iCSI – industrial Catalysis Science and Innovation, a Centre for Research-based Innovation (SFI) granted by the Research Council of Norway for a period of 8 years. iCSI involves the industrial partners Yara, KA Rasmussen, Dynea, Inovyn, and Haldor Topsøe, with SINTEF and the University of Oslo as research partners in addition to NTNU. The total budget is ~20 mill €. 15 PhD candidates and 7 postdoctoral fellows will be trained within the joint industrial, academic and institute research of iCSI.
Hilde Venvik is part of the Catalysis group at the Department of Chemical Engineering, NTNU, the largest catalysis group in Norway and the main arena for education of PhD’s and MSc’s for Norwegian industry and research organizations. As of 2015 the group consists of five Faculty members (Edd A. Blekkan, De Chen, Magnus Rønning, Hilde Venvik, Yia Yang), ~20 PhD students and ~5 postdoctoral fellows. The group is an integrated NTNU/SINTEF research laboratory where NTNU-staff collaborate and share facilities with ~10 permanent researchers employed by SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, Process Chemistry Department. This collaboration is institutionalized through the KINCAT Gemini centre (NTNU/SINTEF twin research centre). Together with the catalysis groups at the University of Oslo and SINTEF, the group was part of a Centre for Research-based Innovation (Innovative Natural Gas Processes and Products – inGAP) during 2007-2015
Hilde Venvik was NTNU Director of the Gas Technology Centre NTNU-SINTEF (GTS) from 2010 to 2015. GTS was established in 2003 to exploit the multidisciplinary synergism of NTNU and SINTEF’s expertise in gas technology with Statoil (now Equinor) as strategic partner.
Venvik has published ~ 80 scientific journal paper and has an h-index of 27 (ISI-WebOfKnowledge, Scopus). In addition come some book chapters, reports and popular science contributions. She has given or contributed to > 100 scientific presentations at international conferences and work-shops. 8 PhD degrees have been completed with Venvik as the main supervisor (Astrid Lervik Mejdell, Fatemeh Hayer, Daham Gunawardana, Nicla Vicinanza, Farbod Dadgar, Marie Døvre Strømsheim, Xiaoyang Guo, Stine Lervold), 7 as secondary supervisor, and Venvik has supervised 38 master students in chemical process technology and nanotechnology.
- Industrial and environmental catalysis; oxidation of methanol to formaldehyde over Ag-based catalysts, selective catalytic reduction, oxidation of hydrocarbons.
- Catalysis for conversion of natural gas and biomass to fuels and chemicals, including hydrogen.
- New catalytic reactor concepts for process intensification and control, i.e. monoliths, microstructured and membrane reactors.
- Catalytic phenomena important to metal dusting corrosion, e.g. carbon formation from CO.
- Surface science by combined experimental (scanning probe techniques, surface spectroscopy and electron diffraction and electron microscopy) and theoretical/modelling (density functional theory) approaches. Adsorption and reaction phenomena on metals (Ag, Co, Pd, …), related to (1-4 above), are of particular interest.
- TKP4581 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project
- TKP4515 - Catalysis, Specialization Course
- TKP4190 - Fabrication and Applications of Nanomaterials
- TKP4580 - Chemical Engineering, Specialization Project
- TKP4905 - Nanotechnology, Master's Thesis
- KP8132 - Applied Heterogeneous Catalysis
- TKP4150 - Industrial Chemistry and Refining
- TKP4570 - Nanotechnology, Specialization Project
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Inhibition of metal dusting corrosion on Fe-based alloy by combined near surface severe plastic deformation (NS-SPD) and thermochemical treatment. Corrosion Science. vol. 190.
- (2021) Partial oxidation of methanol to formaldehyde in an annular reactor. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 423.
- (2021) Segregation dynamics of a Pd-Ag surface during CO oxidation investigated by NAP-XPS. Catalysis Today. vol. 384-386.
- (2021) LINXS THEME NEW MATERIALS: Thermal Catalysis. LINXS Catalysis Workshop . LINXS - LUND INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED NEUTRON AND X-RAY SCIENCE; Lund. 2021-10-28 - 2021-10-28.
- (2021) Methanol partial oxidation to formaldehyde (MTF) over silver – new kinetic and structural insights. LIII POLISH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON CATALYSIS 22-24.09.2021 . Jerzy Haber Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry m f; Kraków. 2021-09-22 - 2021-09-24.
- (2020) Water–Gas Shift Activity of Pt Catalysts Prepared by Different Methods. Catalysts. vol. 10 (10).
- (2020) Effects of metal dusting relevant exposures of alloy 601 surfaces on carbon formation and oxide development. Catalysis Today.
- (2020) CO-Induced Surface Reconstruction of the Co(11–20) Surface—A Combined Theoretical and Experimental Investigation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. vol. 124 (52).
- (2020) Pd3Ag(111) as a Model System for Hydrogen Separation Membranes: Combined Effects of CO Adsorption and Surface Termination on the Activation of Molecular Hydrogen. Topics in catalysis. vol. 63 (7-8).
- (2019) Modelling and simulation of a single slit micro packed bed reactor for methanol synthesis. Catalysis Today. vol. 343.
- (2019) The effect of aerosol-deposited ash components on a cobalt-based Fischer–Tropsch catalyst. Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis. vol. 127 (1).
- (2019) The initial stage of Metal Dusting Corrosion of Inconel 601 – effects of exposure conditions and near-surface structure and composition. 12th Natural Gas Conversion Symposium - NGCS12 ; San Antonio, Texas. 2019-06-02 - 2019-06-06.
- (2019) Morphology and Activity of Electrolytic Silver Catalyst for Partial Oxidation of Methanol to Formaldehyde Under Different Exposures and Oxidation Reactions. Topics in catalysis. vol. 62 (7-11).
- (2019) iCSI – industrial Catalysis Science and Innovation for a competitive and sustainable process industry. Operando Surface Catalysis meeting (OPSCAT) . Universitetet i Oslo; Oslo. 2019-01-29 - 2019-02-01.
- (2019) CO and H2 Adsorption on Co(11-20) - a Combined Experimental and Theoretical Investigation. 12th Natural Gas Conversion Symposium - NGCS12 ; San Antonio, Texas. 2019-06-02 - 2019-06-06.
- (2019) Interaction of hydrogen with flat (0001) and corrugated (11–20) and (10–12) cobalt surfaces: Insights from experiment and theory. Catalysis Today. vol. 342.
- (2018) Application of hot-wire anemometry for experimental investigation of flow distribution in micro-packed bed reactors for synthesis gas conversion. Chemical Engineering Science (CES). vol. 177.
- (2018) Deactivation of Co-based Fischer-Tropsch Catalyst by Aerosol Deposition of Potassium Salts. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (6).
- (2018) Fischer-Tropsch synthesis—Investigation of the deactivation of a Co catalyst by exposure to aerosol particles of potassium salt. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. vol. 230.
- (2018) Effects of K adsorption on the CO-induced restructuring of Co(11-20). Catalysis Today. vol. 299.
- (2018) New approaches to the investigation of carbon formation in the Direct Synthesis of Methylchlorosilanes. Silicon for the Chemical and Solar Industry XIV ; 2018-06-11 - 2018-06-14.
- (2018) Pd alloy and cobalt single crystal surfaces as catalytic model systems. Seminar at iNANO, Aarhus University . iNANO, Aarhus University; Aarhus. 2018-06-06 - 2018-06-06.
- (2018) iCSI – industrial Catalysis Science and Innovation – a Centre for Research-based Innovation (SFI). Norsk Kjemisk Selskap - Det 21. Landsmøte i kjemi - Faggruppe for katalyse . Norsk Kjemisk Selskap; Lillestrøm. 2018-10-16 - 2018-10-17.
- (2018) iCSI – industrial Catalysis Science and Innovation for a competitive and sustainable process industry, a Centre for Research-based innovation granted by the Research Council of Norway for the period 2015-2022. 1st Silver Formaldehyde Conference . Dynea; Kazincbarcika. 2018-01-16 - 2018-01-18.
- (2018) NGCS 11 Tromsø - 11th Natural Gas Conversion Symposium. Catalysis Today. vol. 299.
- (2018) New insight to the effects of heat treatment in air on the permeation properties of thin Pd77%Ag23% membranes. Membranes. vol. 8:92 (4).
- (2017) Catalyst Deactivation During One-Step Dimethyl Ether Synthesis from Synthesis Gas. Catalysis Letters. vol. 147 (4).
- (2017) Investigation of metal dusting corrosion process over UNS N08800 alloy. International Corrosion Conference Series. vol. 4.
- (2017) Near Ambient Pressure XPS Investigation of CO Oxidation Over Pd3Au(100). Topics in catalysis. vol. 60 (17-18).
- (2017) Catalysis in microstructured reactors - Short review on smallscale syngas production and further conversion into methanol, DME and Fischer-Tropsch products. Catalysis Today. vol. 285.
- (2016) Direct dimethyl ether synthesis from synthesis gas: The influence of methanol dehydration on methanol synthesis reaction. Catalysis Today. vol. 270.
- (2016) Reversed Hysteresis during CO Oxidation over Pd75Ag25(100). ACS Catalysis. vol. 6.
- (2016) Pd/CeO2 catalysts as powder in a fixed-bed reactor and as coating in a stacked foil microreactor for the methanol synthesis. Catalysis Today. vol. 273.
- (2016) Process concepts to produce syngas for Fischer-Tropsch fuels by solar thermochemical splitting of water and/or CO2. Fuel processing technology. vol. 145.
- (2016) Feil om katalysatorer. Dagens næringsliv.
- (2015) Thickness dependent effects of solubility and surface phenomena on the hydrogen transport properties of sputtered Pd77%Ag23% thin film membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. vol. 476.
- (2014) H2 reduction of surface oxides on Pd-based membrane model systems - The case of Pd(100) and Pd75Ag25(100). Applied Surface Science. vol. 313.
- (2014) Washcoating and chemical testing of a commercial Cu/ZnO/Al2O3 catalyst for the methanol synthesis over copper open-cell foams. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 481.
- (2014) Initiation of Metal Dusting Corrosion in Conversion of Natural Gas to Syngas Studied under Industrially Relevant Conditions. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 53 (5).
- (2013) Characteristics of integrated micro packed bed reactor-heat exchanger configurations in the direct synthesis of dimethyl ether. Chemical Engineering and Processing. vol. 70.
- (2013) Monolithic, microchannel and carbon nanofibers/carbon felt reactors for syngas conversion by Fischer-Tropsch syntehesis. Catalysis Today. vol. 216.
- (2012) Analysis of External and Internal Mass Transfer at Low Reynolds Numbers in a Multiple-Slit Packed Bed Microstructured Reactor for Synthesis of Methanol from Syngas. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 51 (42).
- (2012) Metal dusting corrosion initiation in conversion of natural gas to synthesis gas. Energy Procedia. vol. 26.
- (2012) Adsorbate-induced segregation in a PdAg membrane model system: Pd3Ag(111). Catalysis Today. vol. 193 (1).
- (2011) Performance of a multi-slit packed bed microstructured reactor in hte synthesis of methanol: Comparison with a laboratory fixed-bed reactor. Chemical Engineering Science (CES). vol. 66 (24).
- (2011) Characteristics of an Integrated Micro Packed Bed Reactor-Heat Exchanger for methanol synthesis from syngas. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 167 (2-3).
- (2011) Catalysis for Clean Energy Preface. Topics in catalysis. vol. 54 (13-15).
- (2011) Palladium-based Membranes in Hydrogen Production. Membrane Engineering for the Treatment of Gases Volume 2: Gas-separation Problems Combined with Membrane Reactors.
- (2011) Modeling and Simulation of an Integrated Micro Packed Bed Reactor-Heat Exchanger Configuration for Direct Dimethyl Ether Synthesis. Topics in catalysis. vol. 54 (13-15).
- (2011) Synthesis of dimethyl ether from syngas in a microchannel reactor-Simulation and experimental study. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 167 (2-3).
- (2011) Preparation and performance of Cu-based monoliths for methanol synthesis. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 405 (1-2).
- (2011) Studies of Macroporous Structured Alumina Based Cobalt Catalsts for Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis. Catalysis Letters. vol. 141 (12).
- (2011) NTNU kvinner vinner. Dagens næringsliv, journalist Stig Tore Laugen [Avis]. 2011-03-08.
- (2010) The effect of heat treatment in air on CO inhibition of a ~3ųm Pd-Ag (23 wt.%) membrane. Journal of Membrane Science. vol. 350 (1-2).
- (2010) Preparation and Performance of a Catalyst-Coated Stacked Foil Microreactor for the Methanol Synthesis. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 49 (21).
- (2010) Surface characterization of Pd/Ag23 wt% membranes after different thermal treatments. Applied Surface Science. vol. 256 (20).
- (2009) Effects of CO and CO2 on hydrogen permeation through a similar to 3 mu m Pd/Ag 23 wt.% membrane employed in a microchannel membrane configuration. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 68 (2).
- (2009) Experimental investigation of a microchannel membrane configuration with a 1.4 μm Pd/Ag23wt% membrane - effects of flow and pressure. Journal of Membrane Science. vol. 327.
- (2009) Performance and application of thin Pd-alloy hydrogen separation membranes in different configurations. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. vol. 40 (3).
- (2009) Effects of thermal activation on hydrogen permeation properties of thin, self-supported Pd/Ag membranes. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 68 (3).
- (2009) Microstructural studies of self-supported (1.5-10 mu m) Pd/23 wt% Ag hydrogen separation membranes subjected to different heat treatments. Journal of Materials Science. vol. 44 (16).
- (2008) Steam reforming of ethanol over supported Co and Ni catalysts. Topics in catalysis. vol. 49.
- (2008) Performance and SEM characterization of Rh impregnated microchannel reactors in the catalytic partial oxidation of methane and propane. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 144.
- (2008) Preparation and characterization of nanocrystalline, high-surface area Cu-Ce-Zr mixed oxide catalysts from homogeneous co-precipitation. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 137.
- (2008) The effect of platinum in Cu-Ce-Zr and Cu-Zn-Al mixed oxide catalysts for water-gas shift. Applied Catalysis A : General. vol. 349.
- (2008) Microstructural characterization of self-supported 1.6µm Pd/Ag membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. vol. 310.
- (2008) Selected papers from the EUROPACAT VIII Hydrogen Society Session, Turku, Finland, 26-31 August 2007 Preface. Catalysis Today. vol. 138 (3-4).
- (2007) 12th nordic symposium on catalysis, Trondheim, Norway, MAy 28-30, 2006 - Preface. Topics in catalysis. vol. 45.
- (2007) Comparison of Cu-Ce-Zr and Cu-Zn-Al mixed oxide catalysts for water-gas shift. Topics in catalysis. vol. 45.
- (2007) Nanocrystalline Cu-Ce-Zr mixed oxide catalysts for water-gas shift: Carbon nanofibers as dispersing agent for the mixed oxide particles. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental. vol. 71.
- (2006) Studies of self-supported 1,6 μm Pd/23 wt.% Ag membranes during and after hydrogen production in a catalytic membrane reactor. Catalysis Today. vol. 118.
- (2006) Remarks on the passivation of reduced Cu-, Ni-, Fe-, Co-based catalysts. Catalysis Letters. vol. 110.
- (2006) Preparation of low temperature water-gas shift catalysts by flame spray pyrolysis. Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis. vol. 162.
- (2005) Temperature profiles and residence time effects during catalytic partial oxidation and oxidative steam reforming of propane in metallic microchannel reactors. Catalysis Today. vol. 110.
- (2005) Hydrogen production from propane in Rh-impregnated metallic microchannel reactors and alumina foams. Catalysis Today. vol. 105.
- (2005) Highly active Cu-based catalysts on carbon nanofibers for isopropanol dehydrogenation. Catalysis Today. vol. 100.
- (2005) Relating catalyst structure and composition to the water�gas shift activity of Cu�Zn-based mixed-oxide catalysts. Catalysis Today. vol. 100.
- (2005) Production of Hydrogen by short contact time partial oxidation and oxidative steam reforming of propane. Catalysis Today. vol. 99.
- (2004) Catalytic conversion of propane to hydrogen in microstructured reactors. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 101.
- (2002) Chemisorption and decomposition of acetylene on Co(1120). Surface Science. vol. 499.
- (1998) CO adsorption on Co(1012) : a STM study. Surface Science. vol. 402/404.
- (1998) The (2x5) carbon overlayer structure on Co(11#-20) studied by STM. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 66/1998.
- (1998) Formation of the CO-induced (3x1) surface structure on Co (11#-20) studied by STM. Surface Science. vol. 397/1998.
- (1998) Nucleation and growth of Au overlayers on Pt(100)-hex-R0.7%0 studied by STM and photoelectron spectroscopy. Surface Science. vol. 409.