Background and activities
I am post doc at the Department of Psychology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). Since 2012, I have been member of the Human Development Research Group, organized around the Trondheim Early Secure Study (TESS), which is a longitudinal study following biannually a cohort of children from Trondheim since 2007. I did my PhD in Sociology in 2014 at NTNU. In my dissertation I examined socioeconomic inequalities in mortality, based on the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT). I did one-year research stay at the Department of Public Health at Erasmus MC, Rotterdam.
My research interests are social inequalities in physical as well as mental health, child development and quantitative methods. I have studied the effects of child care on children’s socioemotional development and now I focus on social inequalities in children’s mental health.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Understanding coastal public health: Employment, behavioural and psychosocial factors associated with geographical inequalities. The HUNT study, Norway. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 264.
- (2020) The co-occurrence between symptoms of internet gaming disorder and psychiatric disorders in childhood and adolescence: prospective relations or common causes?. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. vol. 61 (8).
- (2020) The impact of social media use on appearance self-esteem from childhood to adolescence – A 3-wave community study. Computers in Human Behavior. vol. 114.
- (2019) Time Spent Gaming and Social Competence in Children: Reciprocal Effects Across Childhood. Child Development.
- (2019) Screen time and the development of emotion understanding from age 4 to age 8: A community study. British Journal of Developmental Psychology. vol. 37 (3).
- (2017) Peer problems and hyperactivity-impulsivity among Norwegian and American Children – The role of 5-HTTLPR. Child Development.
- (2016) Peer Rejection and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms: Reciprocal Relations Through Ages 4, 6, and 8. Child Development. vol. 87 (2).
- (2015) Preschool-Age Problem Behavior and Teacher-Child Conflict in School: Direct and Moderation Effects by Preschool Organization. Child Development. vol. 86 (3).
- (2015) Reciprocal Relations Between Student-Teacher Relationship and Children's Behavioral Problems: Moderation by Child-Care Group Size. Child Development. vol. 86 (5).
- (2015) Socioeconomic inequalities in mortality and repeated measurement of explanatory risk factors in a 25 Years follow-up. PLOS ONE. vol. 10 (4).
- (2015) Reciprocal relations between student-teacher conflict, childrens social skills and externalizing behavior: A three-wave longitudinal study from preschool to third grade. International Journal of Behavioral Development. vol. 39 (5).
- (2015) Social Exclusion Predicts Impaired Self-Regulation: A 2-Year Longitudinal Panel Study Including the Transition from Preschool to School. Journal of Personality. vol. 83 (2).
- (2014) Preschool Social Exclusion, Aggression, and Cooperation: A Longitudinal Evaluation of the Need-to-Belong and the Social-Reconnection Hypotheses. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. vol. 40 (12).
- (2010) Income-related health inequalities in the Nordic countries: Examining the role of education, occupational class, and age. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 71 (11).
- (2009) Variations in relative health inequalities: are they a mathematical artefact?. International Journal for Equity in Health. vol. 8.
- (2009) Material, psychosocial, behavioural and biomedical factors in the explanation of relative socio-economic inequalities in mortality: evidence from the HUNT study. International Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 38 (5).
- (2008) Effects of spouses' socioeconomic characteristics on mortality among men and women in a Norwegian longitudinal study. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 66 (9).
Part of book/report
- (2007) Overlevelsesanalyse. Kvantitativ analyse med SPSS. En praktisk innføring i kvantitative analyseteknikker.
- (2014) Socioeconomic inequalities in mortality. Explanatory and contextual perspective: Evidence from the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. 2014.