Background and activities
My research area: Nanophotonic Materials and Devices
In 2005 I was appointed as a full professor of nanophotonics as part of NTNU's strategic initiative in nanotechnology. At the Department of Electronic Systems my research focuses on synthesis and characterization of semiconductor nanowires for use in energy efficient light emitters and solar cells. Since 2015 a strong focus is being made on AlGaN nanowire ultraviolet (UV) LEDs grown on graphene.
In 2010 I discovered and patented the growth of semiconductor nanowires on graphene originally shown for GaAs nanowires. This concept is schematically shown in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wLOXHRVVwQ
I am the inventor or co-inventor of 14 patent families with over 60 granted patents worldwide.
I am the founder and Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of CrayoNano AS http://crayonano.com (founded in 2012) who are now developing germicidal UV LEDs using semiconductor nanowires on graphene substrates for use in water, air and surface disinfection applications.
I am an elected member of the Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA) since 2010.
- TFE4590 - Electronic Systems Design, Specialization Project
- TFE4570 - Nanoelectronics and Photonics, Specialization Project
- FE8140 - Optical, Electrical and Magnetic Characterization Techniques
- TFE4925 - Nanotechnology, Master's Thesis
- FE8123 - PhD Seminar in Nanoelectronics and Photonics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Graphene-Based Transparent Conducting Substrates for GaN/AlGaN Nanocolumn Flip-Chip Ultraviolet Light-Emitting Diodes. ACS Applied Nano Materials. vol. 4 (9).
- (2021) GaAs/AlGaAs Nanowire Array Solar Cell Grown on Si with Ultrahigh Power-per-Weight Ratio. ACS Photonics. vol. 8 (8).
- (2020) The influence of AlN buffer layer on the growth of self-assembled GaN nanocolumns on graphene. Scientific Reports. vol. 10 (853).
- (2019) GaN/AlGaN nanocolumn ultraviolet light-emitting diode using double-Layer graphene as substrate and transparent electrode. Nano Letters. vol. 19 (3).
- (2019) Single GaAs Nanowire/Graphene Hybrid Devices Fabricated by a Position-Controlled Microtransfer and an Imprinting Technique for an Embedded Structure. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. vol. 11 (14).
- (2019) Epitaxially grown III-arsenide-antimonide nanowires for optoelectronic applications. Nanotechnology. vol. 30 (29).
- (2019) AlGaN Nanowires Grown on SiO2/Si (100) Using Graphene as a Buffer Layer. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 19 (10).
- (2018) Vertical GaN nanocolumns grown on graphene intermediated with a thin AlN buffer layer. Nanotechnology. vol. 30:049601.
- (2018) Selective area growth of AlGaN nanopyramid arrays on graphene by metal-organic vapor phase epitaxy. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 133 (26).
- (2018) Single-mode near-infrared lasing in a GaAsSb-based nanowire superlattice at room temperature. Nano Letters. vol. 18 (4).
- (2018) Direct Growth of AlGaN Nanorod LEDs on Graphene-Covered Si. Materials. vol. 11.
- (2017) Determination of GaAs zinc blende/wurtzite band offsets utilizing GaAs nanowires with an axial GaAsSb insert. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 122 (24).
- (2017) Growth study of self-assembled GaN nanocolumns on silica glass by plasma assisted molecular beam epitaxy. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 480.
- (2017) Evaluating focused ion beam patterning for position-controlled nanowire growth using computer vision. Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS). vol. 902 (1).
- (2017) Chemical vapor deposition of graphene on platinum: Growth and substrate interaction. Carbon. vol. 111.
- (2016) Effect of V/III ratio on the structural and optical properties of self-catalysed GaAs nanowires. Nanotechnology. vol. 27 (44).
- (2016) In situ electronic probing of semiconducting nanowires in an electron microscope. Journal of Microscopy. vol. 262 (2).
- (2016) In situ heat-induced replacement of GaAs Nanowires with Au. Nano Letters. vol. 16 (5).
- (2016) Vertically Oriented Growth of GaN Nanorods on Si Using Graphene as an Atomically Thin Buffer Layer. Nano Letters. vol. 16 (6).
- (2016) Low frequency noise in single GaAsSb nanowires with self-induced compositional gradients. Nanotechnology. vol. 27 (38).