Background and activities
Research group: NTNU Nanomechanical Lab
Research areas: Fracture mechanics, nanomechanics, multiscale simulations, anti-icing, icephobicicity, hydrogen embrittlement
Education: BSc (1985) and MSc (1988) - Tongji University, Shanghai; PhD (1994)- LUT, Finland
Biography: Prof Zhiliang Zhang, founder of NTNU Nanomechanical Lab since 2006, executive committee member of the European Structural Integrity Society (ESIS) (2010-2022), has been supervisor and co-supervisor of in total more than 44 PhDs and post docs candidates, and 40 master students since 2005. Before being appointed as a full Professor in Mechanics and Materials at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in 2003, Zhang had worked at SINTEF (the largest independent research institute in Scandinavia), Trondheim, for 9 years, and played a central role in building up the competence of the Fracture Mechanics group to an international level. Prof. Zhang was elected as the chairman of the 20th European Conference on Fracture (ECF20) 2014 by the Council of ESIS. Prof. Zhang has been an elected member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences (NTVA) since 2009. Prof. Zhang started his research in nanomechanics and nanotechnology when he was a visiting scientist at Harvard University, USA in 2000-2001. He was visiting profesor at University of Science and Technology Beijing, China, in 2010, a JSPS fellow at Kyoto University, Japan, in 2011, and a visiting scholar at California Institute of Technology (Caltech), USA, in 2017-2018. Currently he focuses on interface mechanics, material design and nanomechanics by using combined experimental and multi-scale computational simulation approaches. During the last 15 years Prof. Zhang has been the project leader at NTNU for 14 externally funded projects with a total budget over 12 million Euro. He has published about 210 scientific papers (130 journal papers and 80 conference papers) with the latest ones as the corresponding author published in top journals such as Nature Communications, Advanced Functional Materials, Materials Horizons, Nano Letters, Nanoscale, SMALL, Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS), Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids (JMPS), Polymer and Acta Materialia.
Some ongoing Research Projects
Title: Multiscale Hydrogen Embrittlement Assessment for Subsea Conditions (M-HEAT)
Funding: Norwegian Research Council the PRTROMAKS II program & Industrial pertners
Title: Durable Arctic Icephobic materials
Funding: Norwegian Research Council the PRTROMAKS II program
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Contact area measurement of micron-sized metal-coated polymer particles under compression. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. vol. 165.
- (2020) Avoiding snow and ice accretion on building integrated photovoltaics - challenges, strategies, and opportunities. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 206.
- (2020) Effects of Morphology and Temperature on the Tensile Characteristics of Carbon Nitride Nanothreads. Nanoscale. vol. 12.
- (2020) Design and preparation of icephobic PDMS-based coatings by introducing an aqueous lubricating layer and macro-crack initiators at the ice-substrate interface. Progress in organic coatings. vol. 147.
- (2020) Self-deicing Electrolyte Hydrogel Surfaces with Pa-level Ice Adhesion and Durable Anti-freezing/frost Performance. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
- (2020) Effect of thermal residual stresses on ductile-to-brittle transition of a bi-material specimen by using the CAFE method. European Journal of Mechanics. A, Solids. vol. 80.
- (2020) Four-point transient potential drop measurements on metal plates. Measurement science and technology. vol. 31 (2).
- (2020) The need for standards in low ice adhesion surface research: a critical review. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology. vol. 34 (3).
- (2020) Nanoscale Correlations of Ice Adhesion Strength and Water Contact Angle. Coatings. vol. 10 (4).
- (2020) Enhancement of Thermal Boundary Conductance of Metal–Polymer System. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (4).
- (2020) Extraordinary Response of H-Charged and H-Free Coherent Grain Boundaries in Nickel to Multiaxial Loading. Crystals. vol. 10 (7).
- (2020) Numerical investigation of a novel pattern for reducing residual stress in additive manufacturing. Journal of Materials Science & Technology.
- (2020) Enabling phase transition of infused lubricant in porous structure for exceptional oil/water separation. Journal of Hazardous Materials. vol. 390.
- (2020) Supergiant elasticity and fracture of 3D spirally wound MoS2. International Journal of Fracture. vol. 223.
- (2020) CO2 Wetting on Pillar-Nanostructured Substrates. Nanotechnology. vol. 31.
- (2020) Effect of grain boundary on the crack-tip plasticity under hydrogen environment: an atomistic study. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 127 (1).
- (2020) Modelling the combined effects of hydrogen traps and surface films on hydrogen permeation in ferritic steels. Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials. vol. 67 (2).
- (2020) Anti-icing ionogel surfaces: inhibiting ice nucleation, growth and adhesion. ACS Materials Letters.
- (2020) Ultrafast self-healing and highly transparent coating with mechanically durable icephobicity. Applied Materials Today. vol. 19.