Background and activities
Research group: NTNU Nanomechanical Lab
Biography: Professor Zhiliang Zhang, founder of NTNU Nanomechanical Lab since 2006, executive committee member of the European Structural Integrity Society (ESIS) (2010-2022), has been a supervisor and co-supervisor of in total more than 51 PhDs and post docs candidates, and 45 master students since 2005. Before being appointed as a full Professor of Mechanics and Materials at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in 2003, Zhang had worked at SINTEF (the largest independent research institute in Scandinavia), Trondheim, for 9 years, and played a central role in building up the competence of the Fracture Mechanics group to an international level. Prof. Zhang was elected as the chairman for organizing the 20th European Conference on Fracture (ECF20) 2014 by the Council of ESIS. Prof. Zhang has been an elected member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences (NTVA) since 2009. Prof. Zhang started his research in nanomechanics and nanotechnology when he was a visiting scientist at Harvard University, USA in 2000-2001. He was visiting professor at University of Science and Technology Beijing, China, in 2010, a JSPS fellow at Kyoto University, Japan, in 2011, and a visiting scholar at California Institute of Technology (Caltech), USA, in 2017-2018. Currently he focuses on interface mechanics, surface phobicity, material design and nanomechanics by using combined experimental and multi-scale computational simulation approaches. During the last 15 years Prof. Zhang has been the project leader at NTNU for 14 externally funded projects with a total budget over 12 million Euro. He has published about 220 scientific papers (140 journal papers and 80 conference papers) with the latest ones as the corresponding author published in top journals such as Nature Communications, Advanced Functional Materials, Advaned Science, Materials Horizons, Nano Letters, Nanoscale, SMALL, Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS), Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids (JMPS), Polymer and Acta Materialia.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Nanomechanical Characteristics of Trapped Oil Droplets with Nanoparticles: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 203.
- (2021) Reconfigurable Mechanical Anisotropy in Self-Assembled Magnetic Superstructures. Advanced Science.
- (2021) Machine Learning Based Prediction of Nanoscale Ice Adhesion on Rough Surfaces. Coatings. vol. 1.
- (2021) Condensation heat transfer of CO2 on Cu based hierarchical and nanostructured surfaces. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer.
- (2021) Melting cell based compensated design method for improving dimensional accuracy of additively manufactured thin channels. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing - Green Technology.
- (2021) Is it possible to measure the tensile strength and fracture toughness simultaneously using flattened Brazilian disk?. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. vol. 247.
- (2021) Simultaneously toughening and stiffening elastomers with octuple hydrogen bonding. Advanced Materials.
- (2021) Polysiloxane as icephobic materials – the past, present and the future. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 405.
- (2020) Contact area measurement of micron-sized metal-coated polymer particles under compression. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. vol. 165.
- (2020) Avoiding snow and ice accretion on building integrated photovoltaics - challenges, strategies, and opportunities. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 206.
- (2020) A framework for classification of snow- and icephobicity. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology.
- (2020) Stability, deformation and rupture of Janus oligomer enabled self-emulsifying water-in-oil microemulsion droplets. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 22 (43).
- (2020) The effects of morphology and temperature on the tensile characteristics of carbon nitride nanothreads. Nanoscale. vol. 12 (23).
- (2020) Design and preparation of icephobic PDMS-based coatings by introducing an aqueous lubricating layer and macro-crack initiators at the ice-substrate interface. Progress in organic coatings. vol. 147.
- (2020) Self-deicing Electrolyte Hydrogel Surfaces with Pa-level Ice Adhesion and Durable Anti-freezing/frost Performance. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. vol. 12 (31).
- (2020) A multi-barrier model assisted CAFE method for predicting ductile-to-brittle transition with application to a low-carbon ultrahigh-strength steel. Mechanics of materials (Print). vol. 153.
- (2020) Effect of thermal residual stresses on ductile-to-brittle transition of a bi-material specimen by using the CAFE method. European Journal of Mechanics. A, Solids. vol. 80.
- (2020) Nanoconfined Water Dynamics in Multilayer Graphene Nanopores. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. vol. 124.
- (2020) Four-point transient potential drop measurements on metal plates. Measurement Science and Technology. vol. 31 (2).
- (2020) The need for standards in low ice adhesion surface research: a critical review. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology. vol. 34 (3).