Face of Terror - Understanding Terrorism from the Perspective of Critical Media Aesthetics (2016-2020)
Face of Terror
Face of Terror
Understanding Terrorism from the Perspective of Critical Media Aesthetics (2016-2020)
Funded by: Research Council of Norway
The project pursues its aim of understanding terrorism from the perspective of critical media aesthetics by focusing on the face of terror -- a term that goes to the core of the communicative and mediated aspects of terrorism: The face is a primary site of contact with fellow human beings and a contested marker of identity, while in a broader sense it is also a cultural interface that distributes and redistributes visibility and power. Taking the mediated face as its entry-point, the project investigates the identity work that goes into terrorist acts as well as into the cultural responses to such acts.
The project focus primarily on visual media (film and photography) and investigates mediation of terrorism in news media, fiction film, documentary films, but also in literature and art. The terror attacks in Norway 2011 are central in our studies, as is 9/11 and recent terror attacks in Europe.
About the researchers and network
Upcoming events FoT
Previous events FoT
- Internal workshop on the book Bearbeidelser was held at NTNU January 2020.
- The workshop Mediated Faces with guests Mary Ann Doane, Jonathan Cole and Anne Jerslev was held in May 2019.
- Anne Gjelsvik was keynote speaker at Association for Norwegian Media Researchers’ conference in Bodø 18–19 October 2018, where she presented results from her work on the movie U-July 22.
- The Mediated Visibility of Conflicts. PhD course, University of Copenhagen, May 7–8 2018. In collaboration with University of Copenhagen.
- «Mediating Trauma in Norwegian Novels on 22nd of July 2011». Paper presented by Anne Gjelsvik og Ingvild Folkvord at Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study 2018 (SASS), Los Angeles May 4th 2018.
- Radicalisation: A series of film screenings and a seminar on radicalisation in collaboration with Tromsø International Film Festival, January 2018.
- Terrorens bilder (“Images of Terror”): Seminar in collaboration with Trondheim Dokumentarfestival.
Internal workshop with guests Cathrine Grant and Robert Burgoyne, September 2017.
Seminar “Face of Terror”, Kosmorama Internasjonale filmfestival, March 2017.
Internal workshop with guests Åsne Seierstad, Michael Krona and Sveinung Sandberg, January 2017
Menu - Face of Terror
- Our book Bearbeidelser. 22.juli i ord og bilder (in Norwegian) is now out.
You can watch an interview with editor Anne Gjelsvik here.
- PhD student Mads Outzen have received a Fullbright scholarship and will be visiting scholar at University of California Berkeley, in the fall 2020.
- PhD Student Nadège Lourme has received a scholarship from Det norske universitetssenter i Paris, and will have a research stay in Paris in the fall 2020.