Project and Specialization Course at the Department of Industrial Engineering
The specialization in the 9th semester amounts to 22.5 ECTS, and consists of a specialization project (15 ECTS) and a corresponding specialization course (15 ECTS). The students have to select the specialization project in the 8th semester.
Selection process and important deadlines
- Information about the current projects can be found by following the link at the top of the page to either MTP Gløshaugen or MTP Valgrinda, depending on where you study.
- The students are encouraged to consult with the teachers that are listed next to the projects that may attract their attention.
- Note that in various cases it will be necessary for the professor to assess your qualifications.
- If it is obvious for the professor before April 25, 2017 that s/he has found the right student for a project already, the professor can reserve the task for you.
- The deadline for completing the application form is May 5, 2017.
- If you happen to have missed the deadline, please complete the application form anyway. The applications which were sent in time will be prioritized, but we will try to do our best to help you find a project in an area which is interesting for you.
- All students should have received feedback concerning their project choice by June 17, 2017.
- The project assignment will be written in detail by the supervisor and yourself during the first 2-3 weeks after the fall semester starts.
- The master thesis later is usually based on the project thesis.
Different types of projects
There are three different types of project:
A) Existing research projects and / or target areas. These are projects financed e.g. by the Norwegian Research Council or the EU and where the departments academic community is involved. Recent projects will be outlined by the teachers, but can largely be adapted to the individual student's interests and background.
B) Projects affiliated with student organizations.
C) Other projects in cooperation with the company or own proposals. In both cases, you must contact the relevant teachers as early as possible to clarify the opportunities and necessary arrangements.
How to select a project
Some tips on how to make a strategical choice:
- What are your interests and which field would you like to specialize in?
- Do you have a particular professional profile, e.g. elective courses, which may come in handy in the different scientific fields?
- Which methods (theoretical, experimental, numerical etc.) do you prefer to use? In which field would you like to improve your skills?
- How do you like to work best: in project groups, individually, with a clearly defined task or a lot of freedom for own ideas?
Please, contact relevant teachers for the different project areas for more information about the possibilities.
Please, note that the department must prioritize within the resources available. There is a limited number of project students each professor can accept. Important research projects must be prioritized.