You have to fill the language requirements to qualify for admission. If you have completed upper secondary school in Norway or another Nordic country (Sweden, Denmark, Finland or Iceland), you generally meet the language requirements for admission. Please note that upper secondary education from Finland or Iceland must include a certain level of Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. For more information please visit the Samordna opptak web page.
If you apply for admission to Norwegian master's programmes, and you have education from outside of Norway or the Nordic countries, you have to document the language requirements for both English and Norwegian.
If you apply for international master's programmes you must document the English language requirement.
See how you can document the language requirements for Norwegian and English in the list below.
- Norwegian (as a second language) from upper secondary school (VG3)
- Test of Norwegian – Advanced Level (Test i norsk - høyere nivå), with a minimum score of "pass" (bestått) in both the written and the oral test
- Norwegian for Foreigners, Level 3 from one of the Norwegian universities
- One-year study in Norwegian language and society for foreign students from a university college
- Norwegian language test with a B2-result in all 4 parts of the test
- English basic course from upper secondary school in Norway (140 hours in Kunnskapsløftet or 5 hours weekly in Reform 94), written and oral
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 60 points on the Internet-based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 5.0
- Pearson PTE Academic with a minimum overall score of 51
- The European language certificate (telc): English B2
- The European language certificate (telc): English B2-C1 University
- The European language certificate (telc): all English certificates at C1-level
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: First Certificate in English
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: Certificate in Advanced English
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: Certificate of Proficiency in English
- A complete or incomplete university degree in English language and literature, with at least 60 ECTS in the subject English
- A completed master's degree taught in English
A minimum of one year of upper secondary school or one year university studies taught in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Great Britain or the USA
English language requirement for international master's programmes
International master's programmes require higher results on the following English language tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 90 points on the Internet-based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 6.5
Please also note that you cannot cover the English language requirement for international master's programmes with a master's degree taught in English.
Further information about the English language requirement for international master's programmes is available on the web page of the Office of International Relations.
Test scores TOEFL/IEFL
Test scores must be sent to NTNU directly from the test center. Test scores from TOEFL and IELTS are only valid for two years. TOEFL: NTNU's reference code is 9652.