English language requirements
These English requirements concern all international students at NTNU except students native to the nordic countries, who do not require to document any language proficiency.
Who needs to document language proficiency
Erasmus exchange students
International exchange- and master's students
International exchange students from outside the EU/EEA/EFTA and students applying to an International master's programme must fulfill, and be able to document, at least one of the English language requirements listed below to be eligible for admission.
English tests must be no more than two years old at the time of applying to NTNU. This means that tests taken more than two years from the application date will not be accepted. The exception is the Cambridge test (CAE, First Certificate or Certificate of Proficiency), for which there is no expiration date.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master's Programmes
Joint Nordic Master's Programmes
How to prove English proficiency
Accepted English proficiency tests
To be eligible to apply you will need to have at least one of the requisites in the list below:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- Minimum score of 90 points on the internet based test
- minimum score of 600 points on the paper based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service)
- academic test with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
- University of Cambridge tests, at least one: - First Certificate in English - Certificate in Advanced English - Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Pearsons Academic English test (PTE): The academic version with a minimum score of 62
Other proofs of English proficiency
- A passing English grade from Norwegian videregående skole or Higher Secondary Education in the Nordic Countries. We also accept International Baccalaureate with a minimum score of 4.
- Applicants from EU/EEA-countries:
- You have high school diploma from an exempted country
- A certificate documenting that you meet the B2 English language level, using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale. Please note that an IELTS of 6.0 is not sufficient.
- One year of study at a university physically located in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Great Britain or USA (the language of instruction must have been English).
- A university degree with a major in the English language (BA in English).
- Applicants who have completed a minimum of one year of university level studies with English as the language of instruction in one of the Nordic countries. This include both degree and exchange studies.
- A bachelor degree where the language of instruction is English from the following countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Jamaica, Gambia, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- A-level exam in English from the following countries: Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Hong Kong, Cameroon, Kenya, Macau, Malawi, Malaysia, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Uganda, Western Samoa, Zimbabwe
Trondheim - Office of International Relations
International House, O. S. Bragstads plass 3, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Student drop-in: Monday to friday 13:00 - 14:30
Exchange students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Master's degree students: email@example.com
Gjøvik - Office of International Relations
Visiting address: Office G104, Teknologivegen 22, 2815 Gjøvik, Norway
Postal address: P.O. box 191, 2802 Gjøvik, Norway
Ålesund - Office of International Relations
Visiting address: K-building, office numbers KP-245 and KP-246, Larsgårdsvegen 2, 6009 Ålesund
Postal address: P.O. Box 1517, 6025 Ålesund, Norway