English language requirements
These English requirements concern students applying for a master's degree and exchange programmes at NTNU.
Exchange students from countries outside the EU are required to document their English proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 90 points on the internet based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
There are no formal language requirements for exchange students from EU countries at NTNU, but we do expect that our incoming Erasmus students have a good command of the English language that enables them to communicate well at an academic level. The level of English proficiency should be at least B2, preferably C1, using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale.
The English language requirements for the Erasmus Mundus master's programmes vary. Visit the Erasmus Mundus programme website for information about programmes that are not listed here.
MSc in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management (CoMEM):
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 90 (internet-based test). Please note that we only accept the TOEFL internet based test, or
- IELTS (academic version) Overall Band score of at least 6.5, or
- The University of Cambridge 'Certificate of Proficiency in English' or 'Certificate in Advanced English'
CoMEM requires the language certificate to have been issued within the past two years.
Nationals from the USA, the English speaking part of Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are exempt from the English language requirements.
You must fulfill, and be able to document, at least one of the English language requirements listed below to be eligible for admission to an International master's programme.
Note that we only accept English tests that are no more than two years old when studies commence at NTNU. This means that tests taken before August 2016 will not be accepted.
A passing grade from Norwegian videregående skole or Higher Secondary Education in the Nordic Countries
Applicants from EU/EEA-countries who have had English as a second language for a minimum of 7 years from elementary school through upper secondary school. To document this, please upload your high school grade transcript to Søknadsweb.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
minimum score of 90 points on the internet based test
minimum score of 600 points on the paper based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service), academic test with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
- University of Cambridge tests: - First Certificate in English - Certificate in Advanced English - Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Pearsons Acedemic English test (PTE): The academic version with a minimum score of 62
- One year of study at a university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Great Britain or USA (the language of instruction must have been English)
- A university degree with a major in the English language (BA in English)
- A bachelor degree where the language of instruction is English from the following countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Jamaica, Gambia, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- A-level exam in English from the following countries: Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Hong Kong, Cameroon, Kenya, Macau, Malawi, Malaysia, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Uganda, Western Samoa, Zimbabwe
- Applicants from African countries with a BA/BSc/BEng degree where the language of instruction has been English and who have passed English as a subject at GCE A-level with grade C or better
Trondheim - Office of International Relations
International House, O. S. Bragstads plass 3, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Visiting hours: 10:00 - 15:00
Gjøvik - Office of International Relations
Visiting address: Teknologivegen 22, 2815 Gjøvik, Norway
Postal address: P.O. box 191, 2802 Gjøvik, Norway
Ålesund - International Office
Mailing address: P.O. box 1517, 6025 Ålesund, Norway
Visiting address: Larsgårdsvegen 2, 6009 Ålesund