English language requirements
These English requirements concern students applying for a master's degree and exchange programmes at NTNU.
Exchange students from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA are required to document their English proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 90 points on the internet based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
There are no formal language requirements for exchange students from EU/EEA/EFTA countries at NTNU, but we do expect that our incoming Erasmus students have a good command of the English language that enables them to communicate well at an academic level. The level of English proficiency should be at least B2, preferably C1, using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale.
You must fulfill, and be able to document, at least one of the English language requirements listed below to be eligible for admission to an International master's programme.
English tests must be no more than two years old at the time of applying to NTNU. This means that tests taken before 1 December 2016 will not be accepted. The exception is the Cambridge test (CAE, First Certificate or Certificate of Proficiency), for which there is no expiration date.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
minimum score of 90 points on the internet based test
minimum score of 600 points on the paper based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service), academic test with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
A passing grade from Norwegian videregående skole or Higher Secondary Education in the Nordic Countries
Applicants from EU/EEA-countries:
A certificate documenting that you meet the B2 English language level, using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages scale. Please note that an IELTS of 6.0 is not sufficient.
- University of Cambridge tests: - First Certificate in English - Certificate in Advanced English - Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Pearsons Acedemic English test (PTE): The academic version with a minimum score of 62
- One year of study at a university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Great Britain or USA (the language of instruction must have been English)
- A university degree with a major in the English language (BA in English)
Applicants who have completed a minimum of one year of master's degree studies with English as the language of instruction in the Netherlands, or who have completed a bachelor's degree with English as the language of instruction in the Netherlands
Applicants who have completed a minimum of one year of university level studies with English as the language of instruction in one of the Nordic countries. This include both degree and exchange studies
- A bachelor degree where the language of instruction is English from the following countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Jamaica, Gambia, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- A-level exam in English from the following countries: Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Hong Kong, Cameroon, Kenya, Macau, Malawi, Malaysia, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Uganda, Western Samoa, Zimbabwe
- Applicants from African countries with a BA/BSc/BEng degree where the language of instruction has been English and who have passed English as a subject at GCE A-level with grade C or better
Trondheim - Office of International Relations
International House, O. S. Bragstads plass 3, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Student drop-in: 13:00 - 14:30
Closed: 22 July to 18 August
Gjøvik - Office of International Relations
Visiting address: Office G104, Teknologivegen 22, 2815 Gjøvik, Norway
Postal address: P.O. box 191, 2802 Gjøvik, Norway
Ålesund - Office of International Relations
Visiting address: K-building, office numbers KP-245 and KP-246, Larsgårdsvegen 2, 6009 Ålesund
Postal address: P.O. Box 1517, 6025 Ålesund, Norway