Course - Health Economics and Public Health - FH3008
FH3008 - Health Economics and Public Health
Examination arrangement: School exam
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
|School exam||100/100||4 hours||D|
The course will provide an overview of fundamental health economic concepts and principles, and next how to apply these in a public health perspective and in terms of planning and evaluation of applied public health policy. The following themes will be covered: - To measure health in a life-time perspective: Health related quality of life and quality adjusted life years/healthy life years - Inequality in health and need for health services, prevention versus treatment - The organisation and financing of health services and public health work - Efficiency, distribution and equity - Methods for economic evaluation: Cost-effectiveness and cost-utility analyses - Public health policy, priority setting and welfare surplus The course will cover fundamental health economic concepts and principles like healthy life years, efficiency and distribution, economic evaluation of public health policies and health services - and welfare surplus. The course provides an introduction to the organization and financing of health services and public health work in general, different aspects of efficiency, the understanding of welfare surplus, methods for health economic evaluation and prioritization. How to perform cost-effectiveness and cost-utility analysis will be discussed, including different ways to measure health Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALY) and the burden of disease in terms of Disability Adjusted Life Years (DALY). We will also discuss the relevance of health economic concepts and principles in light of health policy and public health policy.
After completing the course FH3008 the student should be able to:
- have a fundamental understanding about core health economic concepts like efficiency, distribution, economic evaluation and welfare surplus
- have a thorough understanding about the different types of economic evaluations and methods for measuring and analysing costs and effects
- evaluate and discuss prevention versus treatment in light of health economic principles
- read and apply analyses of cost-effectiveness and cost-utility in a public health context
- participate in the evaluation of public health policies and health services
Learning methods and activities
Lectures and exercises. Exercises with relevance for applied public health policies will be weighted more heavily. Lectures will take place during block- weeks for Master of Science in Public Health.
- Approved assignment
Further on evaluation
Written examination, weight 100/100. Duration: Four hours. Examination aids: Kalkulator (with code A). A different form of assessment may be applied if a student needs to delay their exam.
Compulsory activities from previous semester may be approved by the department.
Required previous knowledge
Completed bachelor's degree.
To be announced.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2021
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Health Science
- Public Health
Examination arrangement: School exam
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD School exam 100/100 D 2021-12-02 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates M433-Eksamensrom 4.etg Mustad, Inngang A 1 SL311 brun sone Sluppenvegen 14 17
- Spring UTS School exam 100/100 D 2022-06-02 15:00 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"