Course - Satellite Geodesy - GEOM2520
GEOM2520 - Satellite Geodesy
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2023/2024
The programme is designed to give students knowledge and skills in the field of Satellite Geodesy. This programme prepares students to develop broad and coherent knowledge and skills in preparation for professional work and for further learning.
Course Aim: to provide a theoretical and practical extension to GNSS principles and technologies, determination of coordinates by using GNSS, including the design of satellite-based network control systems and the use of GNSS in geodetic surveys; introduction to indoor positioning solutions.
Knowledge: Know the basis of GNSS measurements; Have knowledge of the individual sources of error in GNSS measurements; Know the content of relevant satellite standards.
Skills: Compute positions using both code and phase techniques; Plan, perform and quality-proof measurements of vector set; Use GNSS post-processing software; Understand satellite measurement standards.
General Competence: Students should be able to plan, implement, calculate and document advanced measurement methods with GNSS equipment.
Learning methods and activities
- Classroom lectures, exercises, projectwork - guidance.
- Mandatory requirements to be delivered for approval by the course supervisor.
- Compulsory assignment
Further on evaluation
3 compulsory work requirements must be approved to attend the exam.
Re-sit of exam in March.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Recommended previous knowledge
- GEOM2410 Grunnlagsnett
Required previous knowledge
- GEOM1130 Introduksjon til geomatikk
- GEOM1210 Landmålingsberegninger
- GEOM1320 Anvendt landmåling
- Delivered material (Blackboard).
- There is no required textbook. Suggested reading list:
- Hofmann-Wellenhof, B., Lichtenegger, H. & Collins, J. (2001). GPS Theory and Practice;
- Hofmann-Wellenhof, B., Lichtenegger, H. & Wasle, E. (2008). GNSS - Global Navigation Satellite Systems: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and more;
- El-Rabbany, Ahmed (2006). Introduction to GPS: The Global Positioning System (2nd ed.);
- Leick, A. (2004). GPS Satellite Surveying;
- Van Sickle, J. (2001). GPS for Land Surveyors, 2nd Edition;
- Norwegian Mapping Authority (Statens Kartverk):
- Geodatastandarden (oppdateres jevnlig på nett);
- Geodatastandarden, grunnlagsnett (oppdateres jevnlig på nett);
- Satelittbasert posisjonsbestemmelse (2001);
- Vegdirektoratets håndbøker, 017 Geometrisk utforming (2000);
- Vegdirektoratets håndbøker, 018 Veibygging (2000)
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: English, Norwegian
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"