Course - Materials and manufacturing - MEPA2200
MEPA2200 - Materials and manufacturing
Lessons are not given in the academic year 2023/2024
- Materials: metals, plastics, composites.
- The properties of the materials as a function of manufacturing and internal structure.
- Choice of manufacturing technology such as casting, plastic forming, joining and chipping.
- Knows the materials' internal structure, structure and manufacture, and how this affects the materials' properties.
- Knows the various test and inspection methods we have for construction materials.
- Knows the principles of the most common manufacturing methods used in the mechanical industry.
- Has knowledge of the materials' place in history and their environmental footprint with regard to manufacture, use and disposal in various products.
- Can make the right choice of materials for a construction based on strength, manufacturing process, environment and life cycle.
- Can choose the right heat/mechanical process to strengthen the properties of metallic materials.
- Can choose a reasonable manufacturing method for concrete components/products depending on the type of material.
- The candidate must be able to explain and discuss general aspects of materials and material technology related to mechanical construction, recognize the need for particular material technical expertise in various projects, and be able to make sensible estimates and assessments about the suitability of materials in construction solutions with a view to strengthen durability and lifespan.
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, exercises and laboratory assignments. Great emphasis is placed on work in the laboratories, as well as practice in problem solving when working in groups with smaller development tasks.
- Mandatory assignments
Further on evaluation
4 hour written exam. Grade scale Grade (A-F, E is the lowest standing grade)
New and postponed examination: Can be held either in writing or orally.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Mechatronics and Product Design (BIMEPRO)
Recommended previous knowledge
- Materialteknologi 1 Grunnlag, Kopinor Pensum AS, ISBN 978-82-13-03062-5
- Materialteknologi 2 Konstruksjonsmaterialer, Yrkesopplæring ANS, ISBN 978-82-585-0704-5.
Various supporting literature distributed
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Intermediate course, level II
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Engineering Subjects
Department with academic responsibility
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"