Course - Ideation and visualization - TEK1313
TEK1313 - Ideation and visualization
Ideation and basic design methodology.
- Freehand drawing and sketching techniques as a methodology for visual thinking.
- Methodology of the design process; from brainstorming to presentation drawing.
Visualization and drawing techniques.
- Theory and practical exercises;
- Freehand drawing, perspective drawing and sketching, through observation and shape analysis of three-dimensional objects.
- Shading and rendering,creating the illusion of three dimensions.
- Different approaches to freehand drawing;idea sketches, concept sketches, refined sketches and presentation drawing.
- Variation of drawing techniques using a diversity of tools and materials
- Terminology in communicating your own work, and in the evaluation of others.
- Colour theory and practical exercises.
- Introduction to Color Theory and colour perception
- Basic techniques for creating color schemes and harmonies
- Colour symbolism and communication
- The significance of colour and surface in product semantics.
- has basic knowledge of the different drawing techniques and their utilization
- has knowledge of basic concepts, theories, processes, tools and methods in the field
- understand the different aspects of colour; physical physiological and chemical
- has a conscious awareness of colour perception.
has an understanding of using color in the design process and its
- significance for product design
- will be able to understand the value of the color's significance for a product semantics
- can utilize freehand drawing as a method for observation, analysis and rendering of three-dimensional shapes
- has skills in sketching techniques, and experience in using different tools, techniques and materials
- can express and emphasize their product idea by applying colour
- can verbalize their experience on colour and transfer the understanding to product semantics
- has capability of evaluating ideas and products in the context of colour theory
- can discuss and verbalize the presentation of their own works, and their fellow students work, using the vocabulary for the field
- can present fundamental topics, theories and solutions in text, oral presentation and through visual communication
- can describe and discuss different perspectives in the field
- has experience with basic methods of creative thinking and innovation
- can find, explore and evaluate information and literature in the field, and convey an objective presentation
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, individuell exercises, practical work in grops, oral presentations and discussions, visuell and written presentations,
Further on evaluation
Portfolio: 4 assignments including 1 Projec work submitted digitaly to Inspera. Digital written exam in Inspera. If fail: New portfolio included written exam must be submitted the next time the course is run
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Technology Design (ÅRTEK)
Technology Design and Management (BTEKD)
- Erik Lerdal, (2017) Nyskapning, Arbeidsbok i kreative metoder, Gyldendal Norsk Forlag AS, 1. utgave. ISBN 978-82-05-50439-4
- Arne Valberg (2009) Fargenes verden, Tapir Akademisk forlag, Trondheim, ISBN: 978-82-519-2374-3
- - Bakinger, Mark og Bardel, William (2013) Drawing Ideas; a hand-drawn approach for better design, Watson-Guptill Publications, New York
- Kevin Henry (2012), Drawing for product designers, Laurence King Publishing Ltd, ISBN: 978-1-85669-743-9
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Foundation courses, level I
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2020
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Design Methodology
Examination arrangement: Portfolio assessment and Written exam
- Term Status code Evaluation form Weighting Examination aids Date Time Digital exam Room *
- Autumn ORD Written examination 30/100 E INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- Autumn ORD Portfolio assessment 70/100 A INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"