Course - Form and physical modelmaking - TEK1315
TEK1315 - Form and physical modelmaking
Examination arrangement: Assignment
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
- Theory and practical exercises in formal analysis, development and processing of three-dimensional shapes.
- Principles of form, knowledge and practical experience with abstract concepts of form.
- Analysis of physical shapes and forms using the terminology of aesthetics.
- Materials, production processes and how this affects the design process.
- Prototyping and modelmaking used to solve problems and develop a better understanding of design requirements.
- Health and safety in the workshop
- has knowledge of basic concepts, theories, processes, tools and methods in the field
- understands the significance and the value of applying abstract formal concepts to exploration of three-dimensional shapes
- has basic knowledge of the different modelmaking techniques and their utilization
- has an understanding of modelmaking in the design process and its significance for product design
- has an insight in different materials used for model making, and health and safety regulations
- knowledge of how different materials and production processes affect the design process
- is able to describe physical shapes and forms using the terminology of aesthetics
- can experiment on variations of abstract forms and transfer the understanding to product semantics
- has skills in modelmaking techniques, and experience in using different tools, techniques and materials
- can produce, explore and experiment on physical models and prototypes to solve problems and develop better understanding of design requirements
- can express and emphasize their product idea by presenting physical models
- can discuss and evaluate the presentation of their own works, and their fellow students work, using the vocabulary for the field
- can implement health and safety regulations in the workshop.
- can plan, organize and conduct a variety of projects, individually or in groups, according to ethical standards
- can find, explore and evaluate information and literature in the field
- can present fundamental topics, theories and solutions in text, oral presentation and through visual communication
- can describe and discuss different perspectives in the field - has experience with basic methods of creative thinking and innovation
Learning methods and activities
Lectures, tutoring, individual exercises and practical work in grops, oral presentations and discussions, visuell and written presentations.
- Compulsory assignments
Further on evaluation
Compulsory assignment; individual or group assignment, submitted in Blackboard for evaluation.
One major assignment is to be submitted digitally to Inspera at the end of the term.
If fail: In case the compulsory assignments are graded as "pass"; a new assignment must be submitted the next time the course is run. If the compulsory assignments are failed, or have not been submitted the course must be taken again as a whole.
Recommended previous knowledge
TEK1313 Ideation and visualization
Bjarki Hallgrimson. (2012) Prototyping and Modelmaking for Product Designers. Laurence King publishers, London. ISBN 13: 978 1 85669 876 4 Supporting literature: Bjørn Rybakken, (2008) Formsans og design, Abstrakt forlag AS, ISBN: 978-82-7935-239-6 Geometry of Design, Kimberly Elam, Prinecton Architectural Press, New York ISBN 1-56898-249-6(pbk.) Elements of Design, Rowena Reed Kostellow, Architectural Press, New York ISBN 1-56898-329-8
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Foundation courses, level I
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: SPRING 2024
Language of instruction: Norwegian
- Design Methodology
- Product Design
Examination arrangement: Assignment
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Spring ORD Assignment 100/100 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"