Course - Safety and Asset Management, Specialization Project - TMR4550
TMR4550 - Safety and Asset Management, Specialization Project
Examination arrangement: Work
Grade: Letter grades
|Evaluation||Weighting||Duration||Grade deviation||Examination aids|
Topic for the project thesis has to be related to marine systems and activities, and focus on problems and challenges within the area of "Safety and Asset Management". The students have to attend a mandatory introduction seminar to the project thesis beyond the established ECTS. The seminar has to be attended as part of the project thesis course. The seminar consists of lectures and assignments which has to be passed for the students to be allowed to hand in the project thesis. The content of the seminar prepares the student for writing their thesis; such as searching for literature, writing reports, scientific publishing and ethics.
Safety and asset management focuses on safe, efficient and environmentally friendly operation and modification of marine systems. Key topics are safety, reliability, maintainability and safety (RAMS) in a life cycle perspective.
Students shall be able to demonstrate:
- Deep knowledge of key concepts and relations between reliability, availability, maintenance and safety of marine systems.
- Good theoretical knowledge of system reliability and methods for reliability analysis.
- Solid knowledge about maintenance management and methods for planning of maintenance for marine systems, including reliability centered maintenance (RCM) planning.
- Good knowledge of the theoretical foundation for risk assessment of marine systems and good understanding of the relationship between man, technology and organizations.
- Good knowledge of the most common methods used for risk analysis, application areas and strengths and weaknesses of different methods.
- Good understanding of the importance of learning from unwanted events and accidents as part of safety management, including knowledge of common accident models.
- Knowledge of key standards and regulations in the field.
- Good knowledge of how operation influences safety and cost efficiency of a system in a life cycle perspective.
Students shall be able to:
- Perform reliability calculations for components and systems
- Apply key methods for risk analysis, risk evaluation and control and monitoring of risk.
- Evaluate the need for maintenance of components and systems, to decide on the most efficient maintenance strategy.
- Use relevant computer tools for reliability and maintenance analyses.
- Propose and evaluate system solutions designing for efficient and safe operation.
- Contribute to develop an efficient operating organization in a company.
General competence: Same as for the study program.
Learning methods and activities
Individual project work with guidance from the supervisor. Lectures, self-study. Mandatory assignment.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
Engineering and ICT (MTING)
Industrial Economics and Technology Management (MTIØT)
Marine Technology (MIMART)
Marine Technology (MSN1)
Marine Technology (MTMART)
Recommended previous knowledge
All mandatory subjects in 3rd and 4th year for the study program and the specialization "Safety and Asset Management".
Required previous knowledge
The course is only accessible for students admitted to the master programmes Marine Technology and Engineering and ICT.
Guideline for writing reports and lecture notes.
Credits: 7.5 SP
Study level: Second degree level
Term no.: 1
Teaching semester: AUTUMN 2023
Language of instruction: English
- Safety, Reliability and Maintenance
- Maintenance and Risk Analysis
- Operation technology
- Marine Technology
- Technological subjects
Examination arrangement: Work
- Term Status code Evaluation Weighting Examination aids Date Time Examination system Room *
- Autumn ORD Work 100/100 INSPERA
Room Building Number of candidates
- * The location (room) for a written examination is published 3 days before examination date. If more than one room is listed, you will find your room at Studentweb.
For more information regarding registration for examination and examination procedures, see "Innsida - Exams"