Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Background and activities
Areas of competence and interests
Risk assessements of ships, marine and maritime systems, operational risk, autonomy, safety and maintenance management.
Unlocking the potential of autonomous systems and operations through supervisory risk control (UNLOCK)
In the future, autonomous systems with increased intelligence will emerge. Acceptance and approval of highly intelligent systems with built-in learning and optimization capabilities require supervisory risk control and online risk modelling, testing and verification to become a driver in design, operation and overall system validation. UNLOCK addresses fundamental research challenges related to risk acceptance and supervisory risk control of autonomous systems and operations. The results of the project will support and enhance the achievement of higher-level autonomy and intelligence in advanced control systems. The aim is to achieve safe system performances and allow for widespread use of autonomous systems.
The research project is funded by FRINATEK, and is associated with the Center of Excellence NTNU AMOS. More information.
Online risk management and risk control for autonomous ships (ORCAS)
This project will develop novel technological solutions for online risk management and risk control of autonomous ships. Cutting-edge interdisciplinary research combining cybernetics and risk management aims to achieve high level of autonomy, intelligence and decision-making capabilities for autonomous ships.
The KPN research/industry project is funded by MAROFF, Rolls Royce Marine, and DNVGL, and is associated with the Center of Excellence NTNU AMOS. More information.
Reducing risk in aquaculture
This project will research and develop novel concepts for autonomous operations and technology to improve safety and efficiency in aquaculture. In particular, the project will address daily operations and inspection, maintenance, and repair (IMR) for exposed locations, but the project results will also be applicable to more sheltered fish production. Moreover, the project will assess, utilize and possibly adapt technology developed for subsea IMR in the oil and gas industry. Advances in sensor technology, robotics, ICT, and localization methods create new opportunities for reducing operators' manual workload and exposure time on the facilities at sea, for preventing fish escape, and for improving safety and operational efficiency. The project is funded by Havbruk 2 and is associated with SFI Exposed Aquaculture Operations. More information.
I am involved in the study specialization on marine safety and asset management (former marine operation and maintenance engineering/operation technology) in the 5-year master program in Marine Technology. The specialization covers important activities needed to ensure a well-functioning, safe and environmental friendly system. The focus is on marine systems, such as ships, offshore installations, marine renewable energy production systems, fisheries and aquaculture.
More information can be found in this brochure.
Risk and interdependencies in critical infrastructures. A guide for analysis.
A guideline for practitioners and a textbook for students. Springer Series in Reliability Engineering, 2012.
Editors: Per Hokstad, Ingrid Bouwer Utne, and Jørn Vatn.
(Chinese edition in 2015).
Risikoanalyse. Teori og metoder (Risk analysis. Theory and methods, in Norwegian).
Publisher Tapir Akademisk Forlag/Akademika, 2009. The book provides a thorough introduction to risk analysis and the most commonly used methods in such analyses. The book is written by Marvin Rausand and Ingrid Bouwer Utne. The book supports practical risk analyses and may be used as curriculum for courses at bachelor level. The book´s web page.
Siri Holen: Safety in Norwegian fish farming. Concepts and methods for improvement. Main supervisor: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co supervisors: Professor Bjørn Egil Asbjørnslett (NTNU) and Professor Arne Fredheim (NTNU/SINTEF)
Christoph Thieme: Risk analysis and modelling of autonomous marine systems. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisors: Ingrid Schjølberg (NTNU), Ali Mosleh (UCLA/NTNU)
Børge Rokseth: Safety and verification of advanced maritime vessels: an approach based on systems theory. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co supervisors: Jan Erik Vinnem, Eilif Pedersen and Asgeir J. Sørensen (NTNU)
Jeevith Hegde: Tools and methods to manage risk in autonomous subsea inspection, maintenance and repair operations. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisor: Ingrid Schjølberg (NTNU)
Martin Hassel: Risk analysis and modeling of allisions between passing vessels and offshore installations. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisor: Jan Erik Vinnem (NTNU)
Edgar McGuinness: Safety in the Norwegian fishing fleet - analysis and measures for improvement. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisor: Bjørn Egil Asbjørnslett (NTNU)
HyungJu Kim: Maritime safety - An analysis of accident causation and measures for reducing risk at sea. Main supervisor: Stein Haugen, co-supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Sepideh Jafarzadeh: Energy efficiency and emission abatement in the fishing fleet. Main supervisor: Harald Ellingsen, co-supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Mohammad Juned Akhtar: The effects of human fatigue on risk at sea. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisor: Ross Phillips (TØI)
Lijuan Dai: Safe and efficient operation and maintenance of offshore wind farms. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisor: Marvin Rausand (NTNU)
Pedro Ramirez: Aging management and life extension of technical systems. Concepts and methods applied to oil and gas facilities. Main supervisor: Ingrid Bouwer Utne, co-supervisor: Tom Anders Thorstensen (Statoil/NTNU)
Preliminary title: Online risk modeling for autonomous marine systems in the arctic
Main supervisor: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Co supervisor: Professor Martin Ludvigsen (IMT) and Professor Ingrid Schjølberg (IMT)
Preliminary title: Online risk modeling for supervisory risk control of autonomous ships
Main supervisor: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Co supervisors: Professor Asgeir J. Sørensen (IMT) og professor Tor Arne Johansen (ITK)
Preliminary title: Safety in exposed aquaculture operations
Main supervisor: Professor Ingrid Bouwer Utne
Co supervisor: Professor Stein Haugen (NTNU)
Current Post Docs
Previous Post Docs
Marilia A. Ramos
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Human Reliability and the Impact of Control Function Allocation in the Design of Dynamic Positioning Systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 194.
- (2020) Human-system concurrent task analysis for maritime autonomous surface ship operation and safety. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 195 (106697).
- (2019) Development of safety envelopes and subsea traffic rules for autonomous remotely operated vehicles. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 60.
- (2019) Major accidents in Norwegian fish farming. Safety Science. vol. 120.
- (2019) Applying CAST to investigation of the FPSO’s incident with an iceberg. Proceedings - International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions. vol. 2019-June.
- (2019) Collision avoidance on maritime autonomous surface ships: Operators’ tasks and human failure events. Safety Science. vol. 116.
- (2019) Preliminary hazard analysis of a small harbor passenger ferry – results, challenges and further work. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. vol. 1357 (1).
- (2019) High reliability management and control operator risks in autonomous marine systems and operations. Ocean Engineering. vol. 171.
- (2019) Methodology for hazard identification in aquaculture operations (MHIAO). Safety Science. vol. 121.
- (2018) A Bayesian approach to risk modeling of autonomous subsea intervention operations. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 175.
- (2018) Occupational safety in aquaculture – Part 1: Injuries in Norway. Marine Policy. vol. 96.
- (2018) Occupational safety in aquaculture – Part 2: Fatalities in Norway 1982–2015. Marine Policy. vol. 96.
- (2018) Risk assessments in the Norwegian aquaculture industry: Status and improved practice. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 83.
- (2018) Deriving Verification Objectives and Scenarios for Maritime Systems Using the Systems-Theoretic Process Analysis. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 169.
- (2018) Assessing Ship Risk Model Applicability to Marine Autonomous Surface Ships. Ocean Engineering. vol. 165.
- (2017) Improving safety of DP operations: learning from accidents and incidents during offshore loading operations. EURO Journal on Decision Processes. vol. 5.
- (2017) Allision risk analysis of offshore petroleum installations on the Norwegian Continental Shelf—an empirical study of vessel traffic patterns. WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs (JoMA). vol. 16 (2).
- (2017) LNG-fuelled fishing vessels: A systems engineering approach. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. vol. 50.
- (2017) A systems approach to risk analysis of maritime operations. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 231 (1).
- (2017) Towards Safer, Smarter and Greener Ships Using Hybrid Marine Power Plants. IEEE Electrification Magazine. vol. Sept.