Background and activities
I'm a social geographer interested in and teaching and researching about children, youth and the structural transformation of their local environments in Africa.
I hold BA in Geography from Addis Ababa University, MPhil in Development Studies and PhD in Human Geography from NTNU. I'm Programme Leader of MPhil in Childhood Studies, teaching courses like Children and Development in the Global South (BARN 3300), Methods and Ethics in Childhood Studies (BARN 3201).
My research focuses on the generational, spatial and temporal dimensions of young people’s lives. My work intersects youth studies and development studies looking at the ways in which political economic processes transform and are transformed by the livelihood practices of young people. In 2016, I undertook fieldwork supported by The Institute for Comparative Research in Human Culture on labour, mobility and material realities of post-socialist youth, complementing my decade long research with children and families found on the margins of society and political economy in Ethiopia.
I'm Director of Council for Development of Social Science Research in Africa’s (CODESRIA) 2016 Child and Youth Institute that engages with the theme of African Futures and the Futures of Childhood in Africa. I also lead Nordic Network of African Children and Youth Research funded by NordForsk. My upcoming project (2017-2018), financed by Nordic Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences, involves a series of international seminars to theorize Children’s Migration in Historical and Cross-cultural Perspectives.
I'm on the editorial boards of Children’s Geographies, Childhood, and Fennia: International Journal of Geography.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Advancing ethical research with children: Critical reflections on ethical guidelines. Children's Geographies. vol. 12 (1).
- (2014) Qenja: child fostering and relocation practices in Amhara region, Ethiopia. Children's Geographies.
- (2012) AIDS-affected children, family collectives and the social dynamics of care in Ethiopia. Geoforum. vol. 43 (3).
- (2012) Reflexivity and dialogue: methodological and socio-ethical dilemmas in research with HIV-affected children in East Africa. Ethics, Policy & Environment. vol. 15 (1).
- (2011) Dominant Discourses, Debates and Silences on Child Labour in Africa and Asia. Third World Quarterly. vol. 32 (4).
- (2010) Beyond the ‘orphan burden’: understanding care for and by AIDS-affected children in Africa. Geography Compass.
- (2010) Livelihoods, care and the familial relations of orphans in Eastern Afr. AIDS Care. vol. 22 (5).
- (2009) Begging as a livelihood pathway of street children in Addis Ababa. Forum for Development Studies. vol. 36 (2).
- (2009) Child labour in the global South: A review and critical commentary. Barn. vol. 27 (3 - 4).
- (2009) Multiple methods, complex dilemmas: negotiating socio-ethical spaces in participatory research with disadvantaged children. Children's Geographies. vol. 7 (4).
- (2009) Orphanhood, Poverty and the Care Dilemma: Review of Global Policy Trends. Social Work & Society. vol. 7 (1).
- (2009) Social Actors and Victims of Exploitation. Working children in the cash economy of Ethiopia's South. Childhood. vol. 16 (2).
- (2008) Earning a living on the margins: Begging, street work and the socio-spatial experiences of children in Addis Ababa. Geografiska Annaler. Series B. Human Geography. vol. 90 (3).
- (2008) The Ethiopian "Family Collective" and Child Agency. Barn.
- (2008) Trapped between disparate worlds: the livelihoods, socialisation and schooling contexts of children in rural Ethiopia. Childhoods Today. vol. 2 (1).
- (2007) Changing Livelihoods, Changing Childhoods: Patterns of Children's Work in Rural Southern Ethiopia. Children's Geographies. vol. 5 (1-2).
- (2007) Children, AIDS and the politics of orphan care in Ethiopia: The extended family revisited. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 64 (10).
- (2005) Geographical dimensions of AIDS orphanhood in sub-Saharan Africa. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift.
- (2013) Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships. Akademika forlag. 2013. ISBN 9788251928533.
Part of book/report
- (2014) Earning Rights - Discourses on Childrens Rights and Proper Childhood in Ethiopia. Childrens Lives in an Era of Childrens Rights The Progress of the Convention on the Rights of the Child in Africa.
- (2013) Interdependent Rights and Agency: Children's Role in Collective Livelihood Strategies in Rural Ethiopia. Reconceptualizing Children's Rights in International Development: Living Rights, Social Justice and Translations.
- (2013) Migrant children’s portfolio of street-based livelihoods in urban Ethiopia. Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships.
- (2013) Children, Intergenerational Relationships and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia. Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships.
- (2013) Children’s Knowledge of Local Food Sources and Habits in Southwestern Ethiopia. Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships.
- (2013) The Socio-economic Roles of Children in Ethiopian Periodic Markets. Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships.
- (2013) Childhood and Parenting Practices in Dilla Town. Childhood and Local Knowledge in Ethiopia: Livelihoods, Rights and Intergenerational Relationships.
- (2012) Orphanhood, Poverty and the Channenges of Care - Review of Global Policy Trends. Orphan Care: A Comparative View.
- (2011) Gendered work and schooling in rural Ethiopia: Exploring working children's perspectives. Not Just a Victim: The Child as Catalyst and Witness of Contemporary Africa.
- (2010) Sik'älla as a Way of Life: Begging, Poverty and the Livelihood Paths of Child Beggars in Addis Ababa. Research in Ethiopian Studies: Selected papers of the 16th International Conference of Ethiopian Studies, Trondheim July 2007, Aethiopistische Forschungen Vol. 72.
- (2008) Changing Livelihoods, Changing Childhoods: Patterns of Children's Work in Rural Southern Ethiopia. Global Childhoods: Globalization, Development and Young People.
- (2011) Young people, participation, and sustainable development in an urbanizing world. 2011.
- (2008) Ethiopian Childhoods: A Case Study of the Lives of Orphans and Working Children. 2008. ISBN 978-82-471-6731-1.