Background and activities
I am a professor of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering (Material Flow Analysis) at NTNU. I'm the (ad interim) chair of the International Society of Industrial Ecology’s section on Material Flow Analysis – ConAccount. Until recently, I served on the U.S. National Research Council’s Committee on Assessing the Need for a Defense Stockpile. Since 2009, I am a member of the Steering Committee of the National Research Programme 65 "New Urban Quality" of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
My research interests evolve around the study of the relationship between human needs and wants, their associated material and energy flows, and the environmental impacts of the latter in order to support the development of strategies for increasing quality of life while reducing potential resource constraints and environmental impacts.
My research activities focus on two interconnected areas: (i) the analysis of the evolution of cities and their associated material and energy flows to support the management and transformation of building and infrastructure stocks; (ii) the study of metal cycles on national and global scales to identify potentials to reduce the risk for future supply constraints and environmental impacts and to support metals industries in their development of strategies for material stewardship.
In our projects, we aim at integrating aspects of design (seeking for different options to solve relevant problems), modeling (analyzing intended and unintended consequences for these options), and decision-making (interpretation in cooperation with government and industry). Through cooperation with stakeholders and engagement in transdisciplinary learning processes, we aspire to increase the relevance and impact of our research beyond academia.
I teach courses in Material Flow Analysis and Systems Analysis of the Built Environment. Both courses are intended for Masters students in Industrial Ecology and in Civil Engineering.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) A regionally-linked, dynamic material flow modelling tool for rolled, extruded and cast aluminium products. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. vol. 125.
- (2017) Recycling potential of secondary phosphorus resources as assessed by integrating substance flow analysis and plant-availability. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 575.
- (2017) Characterizing the role of built environment stocks in human development and emission growth. Resources, Conservation and Recycling.
- (2017) Dwelling stock dynamics for addressing housing deficit. Resources, Conservation and Recycling.
- (2016) Investigating cross-sectoral synergies through integrated aquaculture, fisheries and agriculture phosphorus assessments: A case study of Norway. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 20 (4).
- (2016) Byproduct Metal Availability Constrained by Dynamics of Carrier Metal Cycle: The Gallium-Aluminum Example. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (16).
- (2016) Toward a practical ontology for socioeconomic metabolism. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 20 (6).
- (2016) Dynamic type-cohort-time approach for the analysis of energy reductions strategies in the building stock. Energy and Buildings. vol. 111.
- (2015) Assessment of food waste prevention and recycling strategies using a multi-layer systems approach. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 49.
- (2015) A multi-regional soil phosphorus balance for exploring secondary fertilizer potential: the case of Norway. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. vol. 104 (3).
- (2015) The global anthropogenic gallium system: Determinants of demand, supply and efficiency improvements. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 49 (9).
- (2015) A general system structure and accounting framework for socioeconomic metabolism. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 19 (5).
- (2015) The ferrous find counting iron and steel stocks in China's economy. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 19 (5).
- (2014) Exploring urban mines: pipe length and material stocks in urban water and wastewater networks. Urban Water Journal. vol. 11 (4).
- (2014) Dynamic material flow analysis for PCBs in the Norwegian building stock. Building Research & Information. vol. 42 (3).
- (2014) Long-term strategies for increased recycling of automotive aluminum and its alloying elements. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 48 (8).
- (2014) A Material Flow Model for Impurity Accumulation in Beverage Can Recycling Systems. Light Metals.
- (2014) Component- and Alloy-Specific Modeling for Evaluating Aluminum Recycling Strategies for Vehicles. JOM: The Member Journal of TMS. vol. 66 (11).
- (2014) Global Carbon Benefits of Material Substitution in Passenger Cars until 2050 and the Impact on the Steel and Aluminum Industries. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 48.
- (2014) The Role of In-Use Stocks in the Social Metabolism and in Climate Change Mitigation. Global Environmental Change. vol. 24.