Background and activities
I am a professor of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering (Material Flow Analysis) at NTNU. I'm the (ad interim) chair of the International Society of Industrial Ecology’s section on Material Flow Analysis – ConAccount. Until recently, I served on the U.S. National Research Council’s Committee on Assessing the Need for a Defense Stockpile. Since 2009, I am a member of the Steering Committee of the National Research Programme 65 "New Urban Quality" of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
My research interests evolve around the study of the relationship between human needs and wants, their associated material and energy flows, and the environmental impacts of the latter in order to support the development of strategies for increasing quality of life while reducing potential resource constraints and environmental impacts.
My research activities focus on two interconnected areas: (i) the analysis of the evolution of cities and their associated material and energy flows to support the management and transformation of building and infrastructure stocks; (ii) the study of metal cycles on national and global scales to identify potentials to reduce the risk for future supply constraints and environmental impacts and to support metals industries in their development of strategies for material stewardship.
In our projects, we aim at integrating aspects of design (seeking for different options to solve relevant problems), modeling (analyzing intended and unintended consequences for these options), and decision-making (interpretation in cooperation with government and industry). Through cooperation with stakeholders and engagement in transdisciplinary learning processes, we aspire to increase the relevance and impact of our research beyond academia.
I teach courses in Material Flow Analysis and Systems Analysis of the Built Environment. Both courses are intended for Masters students in Industrial Ecology and in Civil Engineering.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Exploring urban mines: pipe length and material stocks in urban water and wastewater networks. Urban Water Journal. vol. 11 (4).
- (2014) Dynamic material flow analysis for PCBs in the Norwegian building stock. Building Research & Information. vol. 42 (3).
- (2014) Long-term strategies for increased recycling of automotive aluminum and its alloying elements. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 48 (8).
- (2014) A Material Flow Model for Impurity Accumulation in Beverage Can Recycling Systems. Light Metals.
- (2014) Component- and Alloy-Specific Modeling for Evaluating Aluminum Recycling Strategies for Vehicles. JOM: The Member Journal of TMS.
- (2014) Global Carbon Benefits of Material Substitution in Passenger Cars until 2050 and the Impact on the Steel and Aluminum Industries. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 48.
- (2014) The Role of In-Use Stocks in the Social Metabolism and in Climate Change Mitigation. Global Environmental Change. vol. 24.
- (2013) Stock dynamics and emission pathways of the global aluminium cycle. Nature Climate Change. vol. 3 (April).
- (2013) Centennial Evolution of Aluminum In-Use Stocks on Our Aluminized Planet. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (9).
- (2013) Mapping the global journey of anthropogenic aluminium: a trade-linked multilevel material flow analysis. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (20).
- (2013) The Roles of Energy and Material Efficiency in Meeting Steel Industry CO2 Targets. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (7).
- (2013) Carbon Emissions of Infrastructure Development. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (20).
- (2013) The Steel Scrap Age. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (7).
- (2013) Transforming the Norwegian Dwelling Stock to Reach the 2 Degrees Celsius Climate Target. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 17 (4).
- (2013) Steel all over the world: Estimating in-use stocks of iron for 200 countries. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. vol. 71.
- (2013) The future of mobility and its critical raw materials. Revue de métallurgie (Imprimé). vol. 110 (01).
- (2012) Addressing sustainability in the aluminum industry: a critical review of life cycle assessments. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 35.
- (2012) The Role of Automobiles for the Future of Aluminum Recycling. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 46 (16).
- (2012) Reconciling Sectoral Abatement Strategies with Global Climate Targets: The Case of the Chinese Passenger Vehicle Fleet. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 46 (1).
- (2012) Moving Toward the Circular Economy: The Role of Stocks in the Chinese Steel Cycle. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 46 (1).