Background and activities
Key words: eco-visualization, energy visualizations, co-design, participatory design processes, innovation, prototyping, provotyping
In my research I am exploring how ICT (Smart house technology) and innovative technology may contribute to solving the threat of climate changes (energy efficiency and -saving et cetera) Lately, I have become increasingly interested in research and development processes (co-creating spaces, buildings, and technology) where users and other relevant parties creating that involve active user involvement in all stages of innovation and implementation of new technology. I do believe that in order to solve some of the many challenges of climate changes an ageing population, we need to think out of the box and we need to work together with end users, product developers, city planners, architects and engineers. As a researcher, I want to be part of developing and enabling these new solutions to make its path from idea and through all the stages of societal implementation. My ongoing projects are linked to the development of sustainable neighborhoods, technologies and housing solutions through the active involvement of end users in innovation and design processes.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) A Review of Systems and Technologies for Smart Homes and Smart Grids. Energies. vol. 9 (5).
- (2014) How to maximize the chances of sustainable renovation in housing cooperatives. Energy Procedia. vol. 58.
- (2014) Smart meters and people using the grid: exploring the potential benefits of AMR-technology. Energy Procedia. vol. 58.
- (2013) How to get residents/owners in housing cooperatives to agree on sustainable renovation. Energy Efficiency. vol. 6 (2).
- (2012) Influencing social practices by urban design: using an action research approach to explore possible strategies. Technoport 2012 : Sharing possibilities. RERC2012 : Renewable energy research conference.
- (2010) On the Invisible Socio-Technical Systems - the Great Unknown. International Journal of Power and Energy Systems. vol. 30 (3).
- (2008) Visualizing household energy use in the interest of developing sustainable energy systems. Housing Studies.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Understanding Smart Cities as Social Machines. WWW '16 Companion Proceedings of the 25th International Conference Companion on World Wide Web.
- (2016) Ducky: An Online Engagement Platform for Climate Communication. Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, NordiCHI '16.
- (2014) Supporting low-emission lifestyles: involving future residents at Broset. Utopia Revisited. Towards a Carbon-Neutral Neighborhood at Brøset.
- (2012) Ambitious Upgrading of Post-war Multi-residential Buildings: Participation as a Driver for Energy Efficiency and Universal Design. PassivhusNorden 2012.
- (2011) Public and private feedback: Food-related eco-visualisations promoting visible symbolic qualities of consumption. Energy efficiency first: The foundation of a low-carbon society. ECEEE 2011 Summer Study Proceedings.
- (2011) How to arrange for car-free living? Perspectives of future residents of a carbonneutral housing area on non-motorized transport and car use. Energy efficiency first: The foundation of a low-carbon society. ECEEE 2011 Summer Study Proceedings.
- (2010) Visualizing the Wings of History: Brøset - a Laboratory for Societal Change - the New and Old Challenge of (Re-)Designing the (Built) Environment. Forskning Trøndelag 2010.
- (2015) Building augmented wind turbines - BAWT : Integrated solutions and technologies of small wind turbines. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2015. ISBN 978-82-536-1493-9. SINTEF Fag (34).
- (2015) Bevisste strategier for oppgradering av boligselskaper. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2015. ISBN 978-82-536-1453-3. SINTEF Fag (32).
- (2013) Presentasjon av casestudier i REBO. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-536-1351-2. SINTEF Notat (6).
- (2013) Nordahl Bruns gate 2 i Drammen. Et pilotprosjekt i REBO. 2013. ISBN 978-82-536-1345-1. SINTEF Notat (2).
- (2013) Nordre Gran BL i Groruddalen, Oslo. Et pilotprosjekt i REBO. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2013. ISBN 978-82-536-1347-5. SINTEF Notat (4).
- (2013) Flerfaglig analyse av casestudier i REBO. Bærekraftig oppgradering av boligblokker. 2013. ISBN 978-82-536-1357-4. SINTEF Fag (10).