Background and activities
I am involved in teaching the following courses:
- TDT4255 Computer Design
- TDT4295 Computer Design Project (course wiki, department presentation)
- DT8105 Computer Architecture 2
- TDT1 Architecture of Computing Systems
I also supervise project and master thesis topics within computer architecture and design. Current project and master thesis topics are available at IDIs web pages. I often co-supervise projects and masters with local and national industry partners such as ARM, Nordic Semiconductor and Silicon Labs (formerly Energy Micro).
The topics and reports of my supervised master theses can be found on NTNU Open.
My main research area is memory systems for Chip Multiprocessors (CMPs). CMPs are often referred to as multi-core architectures. In addition, I am interested in heterogeneous computer systems, energy efficiency, computer architecture simulation, compilers and system software.
I am currently involved in the following research projects:
- Work Package leader in the EU Horizon 2020 project Towards Ubiquitous Low-power Image Processing Platforms (TULIPP)
- Principal investigator in the EU Horizon 2020 project Run-time Exploitation of Application Dynamism for Energy-efficient Exascale computing (READEX)
- Project manager for the Single-ISA Heterogeneous MAny-core Computer (SHMAC) project
- Vectorized PARSEC Benchmarks (ParVec)
I currently supervise/mentor the following PhD students and post docs:
- Nico Reissmann (main supervisor)
- Yaman Umuroglu (main supervisor)
- Dr. Ananya Muddukrishna (mentor)
- Dr. Mohammed Sourouri (mentor)
- Dr. Asbjørn Djupdal (mentor)
- Benjamin Bjørnseth (co-supervisor)
- Odd Rune Strømmen Lykkebø (co-supervisor)
- Even Låte (co-supervisor)
- Yahya Yassin (co-supervisor)
- Mostafa Koraei (guest researcher)
I have supervised/metored the following PhD students and post docs:
- Post doc. Dr. Juan Manuel Cebrian (2012-2014)
- Post doc. Dr. Nikita Nikitin (2013-2014)
The following papers are in press:
- Yaman Umuroglu, Nicholas J. Fraser, Giulio Gambardella, Michaela Blott, Philip Leong, Magnus Jahre and Kees Vissers, "FINN: A Framework for Fast, Scalable Binarized Neural Network Inference", to appear in the 25th International Symposium on Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA2017)
- Nicholas J. Fraser, Yaman Umuroglu, Giulio Gambardella, Michaela Blott, Philip Leong, Magnus Jahre and Kees Vissers, "Scaling Binarized Neural Networks on Reconfigurable Logic", to appear in PARMA-DITAM 2017
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) The READEX formalism for automatic tuning for energy efficiency. Computing.
- (2017) FINN: A Framework for Fast, Scalable Binarized Neural Network Inference. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM/SIGDA International Symposium on Field-Programmable Gate Arrays.
- (2016) Random access schemes for efficient FPGA SpMV acceleration. Microprocessors and microsystems. vol. 47B.
- (2016) TULIPP: Towards Ubiquitous Low-power Image Processing Platforms. IEEE International Conference on Embedded Computer Systems: Architectures, Modeling, and Simulation (IC-SAMOS).
- (2016) Efficient control flow restructuring for GPUs. International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS).
- (2016) Compiling with the Regionalized Value State Dependence Graph. Acaces 2016: poster abstract.
- (2015) Perfect Reconstructability of Control Flow from Demand Dependence Graphs. ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization (TACO). vol. 11 (4).
- (2015) ParVec: vectorizing the PARSEC benchmark suite. Computing. vol. 97 (11).
- (2015) Tuning the victim selection policy of Intel TBB. Journal of systems architecture. vol. 61 (10).
- (2015) Compiling with the Regionalized Value State Dependence Graph. Acaces 2015: poster abstracts.
- (2015) A Vector Caching Scheme for Streaming FPGA SpMV Accelerators. Applied Reconfigurable Computing.
- (2014) A study of energy and locality effects using space-filling curves. Proceedings, International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS).
- (2013) Challenges of Reducing Cycle-Accurate Simulation Time for TBP Applications. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 18.
- (2011) Exploring the Prefetcher/Memory Controller Design Space: An Opportunistic Prefetch Scheduling Strategy. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6566.
- (2011) Storage Efficient Hardware Prefetching using Delta-Correlating Prediction Tables. Journal of Instruction-Level Parallelism. vol. 13.
- (2011) Computational computer architecture. META.
- (2010) Multi-level Hardware Prefetching Using Low Complexity Delta Correlating Prediction Tables with Partial Matching. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5 (1).
- (2010) DIEF: An Accurate Interference Feedback Mechanism for Chip Multiprocessor Memory Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2009) A High Performance Adaptive Miss Handling Architecture for Chip Multiprocessors. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2009) Experimental Validation of the Learning Effect for a Pedagogical Game on Computer Fundamentals. IEEE Transactions on Education. vol. 52 (1).