Background and activities
Jennifer is an anthropologist interested in the social and cultural factors influencing health and well-being. She completed her doctoral research in 2008 in Palmerston North, New Zealand. Here, she explored children's experiences of domestic violence through a community-based intervention program and life-story interviewing. Following this, Jennifer worked for 3 years as a Project Officer at the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Geneva, Switzerland. Then she was a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of General Practice at the National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG), part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists exploring screening and lifestyle modification to reduce long-term diabetes risks among women with gestational diabetes. Jennifer is currently a postdoctoral researcher at NTNU and project coordinator of a study led by Professor Berit Schei, "Evaluating interventions in antenatal care to identify and assist victims of gender-based violence in Nepal and Sri Lanka." The project collaboration includes researchers in Norway, Sweden, England, Nepal and Sri Lanka. The overall objective is to improve antenatal care services for pregnant women experiencing domestic violence in Nepal and Sri Lanka to reduce maternal and infant morbidity and mortality.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Community perceptions on domestic violence against pregnant women in Nepal: a qualitative study. Global health action. vol. 9 (1).
- (2015) "The fairer the better?" Use of potentially toxic skin bleaching products. African Health Sciences. vol. 15 (4).
- (2015) Addressing domestic violence through antenatal care in Sri Lanka's plantation estates: Contributions of public health midwives. Social Science and Medicine. vol. 145.
- (2014) Reasons for participation and non-participation in a diabetes prevention trial among women with prior gestational diabetes mellitus. BMC Medical Research Methodology. vol. 14 (13).
- (2014) Screening uptake rates and the clinical and cost effectiveness of screening for gestational diabetes mellitus in primary versus secondary care: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. vol. 15 (27).
- (2013) An evaluation of Croí MyAction community lifestyle modification programme compared to standard care to reduce progression to diabetes/pre-diabetes in women with prior gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. vol. 14 (121).
- (2013) ATLANTIC DIP: simplifying the follow-up of women with previous gestational diabetes. European Journal of Endocrinology. vol. 169 (5).
- (2013) The Many Facets of Storytelling: Global Reflections on Narrative Complexity. 2013. ISBN 978-1-84888-166-2. At the Interface/Probing the Boundaries (1).
Part of book/report
- (2013) Telling Lives: Narrative Experiments in Research on Children's Experiences of Domestic Violence. The Many Facets of Storytelling: Global Reflections on Narrative Complexity.
- (2008) Children's Experiences of Family Violence in Aotearoa/New Zealand: A Manifesto for Hope. Hope: Probing the Boundaries.