Background and activities
Kristin Ytterstad Pettersen (1969) is a Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. She has a PhD and an MSc in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU.
She is also a Key Scientist at the Center of Excellence: Autonomous marine operations and systems (AMOS) and an Adjunct Professor at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI).
- Nonlinear control theory
- Motion control of mechanical systems, in particular ships, AUVs, robot manipulators, snake robots and satellites
- Autonomous vehicles
- Cooperative and coordinated control of mechanical systems
- Underactuated and nonholonomic systems
Selected Research Projects
- 2013-2022 Key scientist. Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (AMOS). Centre of excellence funded by the Norwegian Research Council. Project Manager for Project 4: “Autonomous underwater robotics for mapping, monitoring and intervention”. Coordinator for Area 3: Autonomous unmanned vehicles and operations (Projects 3, 4, 5). Project partners: NTNU, SINTEF, Statoil, DNV. Total budget; 600 MNOK
- 2011-2014 Project Manager. Project title: Snake Locomotion in Challenging Environments (SLICE). FRITEK project funded by the Norwegian Research Council. Project partners: NTNU and SINTEF. Budget; 13.9 MNOK
- 2009-2014 Project Manager. Project title: Control, Information and Communication Systems for Environmental and Safety Critical Systems (CICS). SUP project funded by the Norwegian Research Council. Budget; 15 MNOK
- 2009-2014 Key Scientist. Project title: Next Generation Robotics for Norwegian Industry (NextGenRob). Project partners: SINTEF, NTNU, Statoil, Hydro, Tronrud Engineering, Glen Dimplex Nordic, SbSeating (HÅG) and RobotNorge. Budget; 36 MNOK
Recent work experience
- 2015- CEO and co-founder, SwimM AS
- 2014- Adjunct Professor, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2013-2022 Key Scientist, CoE for Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (AMOS)
- 2011-2013 Head of Department, Dept. Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2009-2011 Vice-head of Department, Dept. Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2010-2013 Director, NTNU Strategic area ICT Programme of Robotics
- 2008 Guest Professor, Section for Automation and Control, Aalborg University
- 2002- Professor, Department Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2001-2013 Scientific Advisor, SINTEF ICT
Recent Board/Council work
- 2012-2014 Board member, IEEE Control Systems Society – Board of Governors
- 2011-2013 Vice-chairman, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2011-2013 Deputy board-member, Norwegian Smartgrid Centre
- 2010-2013 Deputy council member, SINTEF
- 2010- Board member, NTNU Applied Underwater Robotics Laboratory
- 2007-2011 Board member, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2008- Council member, SINTEF Information and Communication Technology
- 2007-2011 Board member, NTNU/SINTEF Gemini centre of Advanced Robotics
- 2015- Review Editor, Robotic Control Systems, Frontiers in Robotics and Al
- 2012- Section Editor of “Control of Marine Vessels”, Encyclopedia of Systems and Control
- 2012-2015 Associate Editor, IEEE Control Systems Magazine
- 2010-2015 Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
- 2008-2009 Member of the Editorial Board Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory
- 2009-2011 Associate Editor, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Shanghai, China 2011, Anchorage, Alaska 2010, and Kobe, Japan 2009
- 2013, Appointed member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences – NTVA
- 2006, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award, for the paper: K.Y. Pettersen, F. Mazenc and H. Nijmeijer, “Global Uniform Asymptotic Stabilization of an Underactuated Surface Vessel: Experimental Results”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 12, No.6, Nov. 2004
- 2004, Senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- 1993, Norwegian Research Council Personal Doctoral Research Fellowship
Membership in Academic and Professional Organizations and Committees
- 2015- Member of IFAC Technical Committee on Mechatronics
- 2014- Member of European Research Council Consolidator Grants Evaluation Panel PE7, Systems and Communication Engineering
- 2014 Member of the Evaluation Committee of the ARGOS challenge Total / Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR)
- 2012- Member of the leader group of NTNU IME Lighthouse Project Robotics
- 2011- Member IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Technical Committee on Space Robotics
- 2009-2013 Member of the leader group of NTNU Strategic Area ICT, TSO ICT
She has supervised 15 graduated doctoral candidates, and is currently supervising 10 PhD candidates.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Incorporating set-based control within the singularity-robust multiple task-priority inverse kinematics. Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2015) Path Following for Formations of Underactuated Marine Vessels under Influence of Constant Ocean Currents. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2015) Underactuated leader-follower synchronisation for multi-agent systems with rejection of unknown disturbances. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2015-July.
- (2015) Output feedback motion control system for observation class ROVs based on a high-gain state observer: Theoretical and experimental results. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 39.
- (2015) Line-of-Sight Path Following for Dubins Paths with Adaptive Sideslip Compensation of Drift Forces. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 23 (2).
- (2015) Energy efficiency of underwater robots. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (16).
- (2015) Energy efficiency of underwater snake robot locomotion. Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2015) Direction Following Control of Planar Snake Robots Using Virtual Holonomic Constraints. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes. vol. 2015-February (February).
- (2015) Topography and force imaging in atomic force microscopy by state and parameter estimation. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2015-July.
- (2015) Integrated Flexible Maritime Crane Architecture for the Offshore Simulation Centre AS (OSC): A Flexible Framework for Alternative Maritime Crane Control Algorithms. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering.
- (2015) A wave simulator and active heave compensation framework for demanding offshore crane operations. Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE). vol. 2015-June (June).
- (2014) ILOS Guidance - Experiments and Tuning. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19.
- (2014) Stability Analysis of a Hierarchical Architecture for Discrete-Time Sensor-based Control of Robotic Systems. IEEE Transactions on robotics. vol. 30 (3).
- (2014) Improved Counter-Current and Co-Current Guidance of Underactuated Marine Vehicles with Semiglobal Stability Properties. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19.
- (2014) Relative velocity control and integral line of sight for path following of autonomous surface vessels: Merging intuition with theory. Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment (Part M). vol. 228 (2).
- (2014) On uniform semiglobal exponential stability (USGES) of proportional line-of-sight guidance laws. Automatica. vol. 50 (11).
- (2014) A waypoint guidance strategy for underwater snake robots. Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2014) Modeling of underwater snake robots moving in a vertical plane in 3D. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. Proceedings.
- (2014) Integral Line-of-Sight for path following of underwater snake robots. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2014) Path Following of Underactuated Marine Surface Vessels in the Presence of Unknown Ocean Currents. American Control Conference (ACC).