Background and activities
Magnus Langseth is a professor at the Department of Structural Engineering at NTNU and at the same time the Director of SIMLab – Centre for Research-based Innovation at NTNU for the period 2007-2014.
Professor Langseth is a member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters the Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences and was awarded the "Médaille Albert Portevin", Société Francaise de Métallurgie et de Matériaux in 2005. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Impact Engineering and sits on the editorial boards of the International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, Multidiscipline Modeling in Materials and Structures, and Ships and Offshore Structures.
The present research of Professor Langseth is primarily related to impact and crashworthiness of aluminium and high-strength steel structures as well as lightweight ballistic protection. Included here is the development of test facilities for material testing at elevated rates of strain as well as facilities for impact and crashworthiness testing of components and structures.
The focus in his aluminium research is connected to the behaviour and modelling of aluminium extrusions with and without aluminium foam filler subjected to axial and lateral impact as well as the behaviour and modelling of self piercing rivets. His high-strength steel research is mainly related to material modelling and robustness studies of energy absorbing components. The light-weight ballistic protection activity is related to the behaviour and modelling of aluminium and high-strength steel plates subjected to projectile impact and blast.
The methodology used in his research is a coupling between testing in the laboratory, material modelling and analyses as a basis for recommendations with respect to modelling and design. Special emphasis is placed on the effect the processes has on the structural behaviour as well as what kind of simplifications that can be made in the modelling and still retain a robust and reliable solution of practical problems.
Langseth graduated from the Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH) in 1976 and worked for some years as a consulting engineer. In 1983 he went back to NTH where he took his doctorate in 1988 and was appointed professor in 1995.
Updated May 2009
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Experimental and numerical study of threaded steel fasteners under combined tension and shear at elevated loading rates. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 76.
- (2014) Influence of sigma-phase precipitation on the impact behaviour of duplex stainless steel pipe fittings. Ships and Offshore Structures.
- (2014) Investigation of high-strength steel component subjected to stretch-bending: effect of forming history. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 611-612.
- (2014) Numerical simulation of ductile fracture in modified Arcan test. Procedia Materials Science. vol. 3.
- (2014) Aluminium Self-Piercing Rivet's Failure: Testing and Numerical Analyses. Applied Mechanics and Materials. vol. 541 - 542.
- (2014) Impact against empty and water-filled X65 steel pipes - Experiments and simulations. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 71.
- (2014) Behaviour of Flow-Drilling Screw Connections. Materials Science Forum. vol. 794-796.
- (2014) Mechanical behaviour of an AA6082 aluminium alloy at low temperatures. Materials Science Forum. vol. 794-796.
- (2013) Numerical study of the tensile behaviour of threaded steel fasteners at elevated rates of strain. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 54.
- (2013) Failure of aluminium self-piercing rivets: An experimental and numerical study. Materials & Design. vol. 49.
- (2013) Impact against X65 steel pipes - An experimental investigation. International Journal of Solids and Structures. vol. 50 (20-21).
- (2012) Transition from progressive buckling to global bending of square aluminium tubes. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 48.
- (2012) Structural behaviour of aluminium self-piercing riveted joints: An experimental and numerical investigation. International Journal of Solids and Structures. vol. 49 (23-24).
- (2012) The behaviour of an offshore steel pipeline material subjected to bending and stretching. Ships and Offshore Structures. vol. 7 (4).
- (2011) Normal and oblique impact of small arms bullets on AA6082-T4 aluminium protective plates. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 38 (7).
- (2011) Application of a split-Hopkinson tension bar in a mutual assessment of experimental tests and numerical predictions. International Journal of Impact Engineering. vol. 38 (10).
- (2011) Tensile behaviour of threaded steel fasteners at elevated rates of strain. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. vol. 53 (11).
- (2011) The effect of the riveting process and aging on the mechanical behaviour of an aluminium self-piercing riveted connection. European journal of mechanics. A, Solids. vol. 30 (5).
- (2010) Pipe fittings in duplex stainless steel with deviation in quality caused by sigma phase precipitation. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 527 (26).
- (2010) Continuous out-of-plane deformation measurements of AA5083-H116 plates subjected to low-velocity impact loading. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. vol. 52 (5).